Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about EWR-SIN flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Questions about EWR-SIN flight

Taking it for first time in 2 weeks and few questions:
* Is it an all J 340-500?
* What is best seat?
* Do I need to bring my Bose headsets or noice cancelling ones provided?
* What type of in-seat power is there? Regular plug or the aircraft type (like AA has)?
* What lounge is used in EWR? The LH one? Special F lounge access for *-G members?

Thx!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:44 am

You should be able to find your answer on the FAQ/master thread... if not, you can go to www.sqtalk.com, and there should be some trip reports concerning SQ ultra-long haul service to LAX and EWR on the all J Airbus A340-500s.

Yes, EWR to SIN nonstop flights are operated by an all J Airbus A340-500s.
They have universal power outlets and no need to worry about EmPort.

The seats are arranged in a 1-2-1 arrangement and I guess most people prefer the forward part of the cabin. For sole travelers, the window seats should work best.

Carfield
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Carfield
The seats are arranged in a 1-2-1 arrangement and I guess most people prefer the forward part of the cabin.
Yes they do, and for that very reason, if the flight is not too full the rear of the plane can be very quiet.

SQ use the SAS lounge at Newark - it is fairly basic.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Hi;
1) All Business Class Cabin; Airbus 340-500
2) 11A/K seem to be quite private - but the forward and middle cabin tends to get filled up quite quickly. I tend to prefer seats 30A/K (bulkhead seat, so you can sleep at any angle you want) + quieter rear cabin!
3) They provide you noise-cancelling headphones - but feel free to bring your own
4) Universal power outlet as mentioned previously - 110V I think (feel free to correct me on this one!)
5) SAS Lounge
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by im.daniel
Hi;
1) All Business Class Cabin; Airbus 340-500
2) 11A/K seem to be quite private - but the forward and middle cabin tends to get filled up quite quickly. I tend to prefer seats 30A/K (bulkhead seat, so you can sleep at any angle you want) + quieter rear cabin!
3) They provide you noise-cancelling headphones - but feel free to bring your own
4) Universal power outlet as mentioned previously - 110V I think (feel free to correct me on this one!)
5) SAS Lounge
Thx

Going with 30A

Does SQ give pajamas on flight?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by anandrag
Thx

Going with 30A
I'm slated to be in 30A as well on my first SQ LAX-SIN experience in about 10 days. Hoping the extra foot space outweighs the issues around lavatory proximity and height of video monitors/viewing angle in these "front of cabin" seats that I've read elsewhere.

im.daniel notes above:

Do these planes have a standard 1/8" headphone jack for personal headphones, to link into the audio/visual?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by u2vox
I'm slated to be in 30A as well on my first SQ LAX-SIN experience in about 10 days. Hoping the extra foot space outweighs the issues around lavatory proximity and height of video monitors/viewing angle in these "front of cabin" seats that I've read elsewhere.

im.daniel notes above:

Do these planes have a standard 1/8" headphone jack for personal headphones, to link into the audio/visual?
yes, they do have the stanard 1/8" jack.

FWIW I'm on SQ 21 tonight (my 5 RT on SQ 21/22 this year)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
If one does book the cook on that flight, when do they serve dinner? Whenever you want or do they try to coordinate it with Singapore evening?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
If one does book the cook on that flight, when do they serve dinner? Whenever you want or do they try to coordinate it with Singapore evening?
How does this work? Have my TA request it?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
They usually serve dinner soon after takeoff on 21. I've done the BTC option serveral times and the FA will usually approach you before takeoff to confirm your choice and work out the timing that works best for you.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:58 am

How does this work? Have my TA request it?
I've never tried this via a travel agent.

You can call them or go the the SQ website (if it working these days) and make your choices there under the "Manage My Bookings" section.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcherins
I've never tried this via a travel agent.

You can call them or go the the SQ website (if it working these days) and make your choices there under the "Manage My Bookings" section.
Just went to website to check options and they have pathetic selection for vegetarians. Surprising as large part of Singaporean population is veg (most Tamilians are). They have one dodgy sounding breakfast option
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Just went to website to check options and they have pathetic selection for vegetarians. Surprising as large part of Singaporean population is veg (most Tamilians are). They have one dodgy sounding breakfast option
What is a Tamilian?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
What is a Tamilian?
I had the same question . I suspect the OP means "Tamil" or "Tamils".

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Aug 13, 2011 at 2:09 am Reason: added plural
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
1. you can pretty much eat when you want. Dinner is served immediately after the flight takes off. After that, people eat when they wake up. There is a snack bar open full time too and the crew are very accommodating on timings.

2. "Tamilian" is the (Asian)Indian way of referring to "Tamils".

3. SQ has a NC headset thats quite good, but does not use power and the bose, if you have it, can make movies more fun inflight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.