Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat assignment at SQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

seat assignment at SQ

I am holding a reservation to connect to a SQ flight from an AC flight. Right now, I can only request a Window seat but not a specific seat number except Preferred Seat. I know I can get the specific seat when I check in 48 hours prior to departure. However, my first flight will be on AC so I will need to check in my SQ flight through AC. AC does not start check in until 24 hours prior to departure. Will I still be able to select a specfic seat through SQ's website 48 hours before departure? Can this only be done through the checkin process?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Status does help

We as Star Golds just returned from an SQ flight, and we called the offices ahead and requested for Bulkheads and thats what we got when we checked in online. But I was under the impression that you can only select seats online if the ticket was booked on SQ's website? Maybe the others may be able to elaborate.

Try this link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...ssignment.html
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Yes, you aren't allowed to do ASR (except 'seat preference' or Exit Rows for an extra fee) until 48 hours prior to departure at OLCI.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Within 48 hours prior to departure, can I still select the seat online (or through the reservation office) without going through the checkin process? I want to get my window seat before AC allows me to check in until 24 hours prior to departure. I don't want to get stuck in the middle seat for 12 hours. I don't know how full the flight is going to be. LHR - SIN on A380 on Dec 25.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, online I mean. But i am sure that you will not be able to as the ticket was not bought on SQ's website. But there is no harm trying. If you have called and asked for a window seat you will get that window seat as there is an abundance of these seats and will be stuck in the window seat as there will probably be 2 others next to you. How full the flight will be is anybody's guess, but believe me all of SQ's flights that i have been the Y cabins are crammed to the max. I like the exit rows or the bulkeads as it gives you freedom of movement. Good luck and stop worrying about it and enjoy the hot towel on SQ.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP
My experience has been that you can select a seat within the 48 hour period via manage booking. This was a couple of weeks back with an NZ operated flight preceding the SQ segment. FWIW, It was a Y redemption ticket booked through BD.

And yes, enjoy the hot towel! I've had 24 so far this year
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by bimmer_ca
Within 48 hours prior to departure, can I still select the seat online (or through the reservation office) without going through the checkin process? I want to get my window seat before AC allows me to check in until 24 hours prior to departure. I don't want to get stuck in the middle seat for 12 hours. I don't know how full the flight is going to be. LHR - SIN on A380 on Dec 25.
No you have to check in otherwise you can't select your seat. You may, however, request either aisle or window with SQ res and the request will be processed as and when during the check in process.

LHR-SIN any time of the year is going to be full.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Yes, you aren't allowed to do ASR (except 'seat preference' or Exit Rows for an extra fee) until 48 hours prior to departure at OLCI.
In any premium cabin you are. Just in coach they enjoy giving you a hard time and keeping the good seats for their minions, I reckon.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:20 pm

I booked a reward ticket on SQ (using UA miles), and I was able to choose a seat online about a month before flying. I also changed to a "preferred" seat fee free more recently. Not sure if there is a glitch, but I can't complain. I am flying in a premium cabin on SQ one part of the trip, but that should not impact this flight.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
You can preselect seats in Business/First always, irrespective where the booking was made
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:27 am

I booked a SQ-Flight on the LH website in april. I couldnt pre-select my seat nor check-in online. Lufthansa does not allow check-in for flights operated by SQ. And the SQ website didnt accept the e-ticketnumber other than SQ.
In the end I was still able to fetch my prefered seat at the airport.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by SQ325
I booked a SQ-Flight on the LH website in april. I couldnt pre-select my seat nor check-in online. Lufthansa does not allow check-in for flights operated by SQ. And the SQ website didnt accept the e-ticketnumber other than SQ.
In the end I was still able to fetch my prefered seat at the airport.
Next time ask LH for SQ's confirmation #, then you can retrieve your reservation on sq's website.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by weero
Just in coach they enjoy giving you a hard time and keeping the good seats for their minions, I reckon.
By minions, do you mean the solitaire members? I'm a humble PPS member and other than on the ultra long hauls, I never have a good seat until OLCI.

I am mystified by the ineptness of SQ's seat allocation process (I guess given the web issues it shouldn't be unexpected). My travel agent and SQ both have my aisle preference in the respective profiles, yet each and every time I am flying SQ and doing OLCI I am allocated a window. Now luckily, I do OLCI early enough that there are usually heaps of spare aisle seats. But if this is the case why wouldn't I be allocated one initially?

The oddity is every single time I've flown SilkAir (8 times in last 8 months) I have been allocated an aisle (and a forward aisle at that). Why does MI get it right and not SQ?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by lokijuh
By minions, do you mean the solitaire members?..
That would be fair, I reckon.

But I had something more nefarious in mind as I never understand the Singapore way of ranking things and distributing resources. So I blurrily thought of people who are better than equal for reasons unknown.

The reason why I think that is because on most flights I have to go on, the seat map is chocka-block 3 weeks out. No good seats left. But then upon OLCI, it is actually consistently less full.

As I neither believe that everyone on board purchased the tix in a non-op website, nor that people migrate to worse seats, nor that coach pax in general cancel so many seats, I am firmly convinced that SQ holds these seats for "them" .. as one says here .
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by e-aviation
You can preselect seats in Business/First always, irrespective where the booking was made
Are you sure about this? I'm TPPS and I can never get to Business Class seat allocation. It tells me it can't be done (New and Old website).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.