Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Expiration Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
Mileage Expiration Question

I have 450,000 Kris miles that will be expiring in May. If I understand the rules correctly, the only way to extend this is by paying in miles or $$ and, even then, it's only six months at a time which can become quite expensive if one doesn't use them for awhile. I expect to book a North America Asia biz class trip for two by them which would eliminate the problem but wanted to know if I'm understanding the rules correctly and if there are any other way to extend the miles (for example, most US airlines extend whenever you make a transaction in your FF acct).

Thanks for any replies.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:18 pm

Maybe you can book the flights with rough dates now (to use up the miles) and look to change the dates later when you know exactly when you are flying?

To have 450,000 expiring, you must have earned all of them in one quarter! Otherwise only those miles earned 3 years ago will expire.
you can extend once for 6 months unless you are an elite or pps member (which gets 1 year)

Last edited by Catch23; Nov 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Yes, you can only purchase one extension so I'd look at using up those miles asap.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:00 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I would just book tickets for your destination at the maximum 330(?) days out and then change the date when you know when you wish to travel. Tickets booked on saver awards have 6mths validity, so you have almost 1.5yrs to play with. Non-saver awards have 12mths validity so that gives you 2 years to decide.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
Thanks for responding

So, it's just as I feared and I will be booking a trip to "hold" the miles. I didn't earn the miles on SQ, but transferred them in from Amex to take the EWR-SIN nonstop with my wife and then had to cancel the trip when her mom had a stroke and subsequent long convelesance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.