Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lifeonthego_k
I'm going to update this first post as more info flows in to create a 'master list' of all credit cards that offer a decent way of accruing miles - so please help out!

If you know of and/or use any other cards (or the ones already mentioned), please share your thoughts.

***ALL VALUES BELOW IN SINGAPORE DOLLARS (SGD)***
============
In no particular order (apart from personal preference in terms of good-mileage opportunities):
============

1. UOB PRVI Miles VISA, MasterCard, AMEX

VISA:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...iles_visa.html
MasterCard:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...astercard.html
Amex:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...amex_card.html
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...ard/microsite/

Mileage accrual:
The earn rate will be 1.4 miles for every $1 spent in multiples of S$10 (every multiple of S$5 gives 6 to 7 miles due to 3.5 UNI$ rounding off, every S$10 gives 14 miles), and 2.4 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS (every $5 gives 12 miles).

Requirements: min. income $80,000 (not strict).
Cost: First year free, then S$256.80 for main, first two supplementary always free. Annual fee waiver for Amex card if you charge $50,000 or more in a year.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion. UNI$ are combined in 1 cardholder's name/FIN Number/NRIC together for all UOB cards which earn UNI$.

Pros: Best mileage accrual rates for overseas spend only. 20,000 bonus miles and annual fee waiver with spend of $50,000 per year (both only for Amex card). $45 1-way airport transfer voucher for $1,000 overseas spend in a given quarter (Amex only).
Cons: AMEX not always accepted by merchants. Points allocated on every $5 spent, rounded down to next $5. Transfer in blocks of 5000 UNI$ points = 10,000 miles. Points are valid for 2 years (transfer before expiry and they will subsequently be valid for a further 3 years from the date of transfer to KrisFlyer).

2. UOB Preferred Platinum Visa

http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards..._platinum.html
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...visa_card.html

Mileage accrual: Earn 4 miles for every $1 spent using ONLY MOBILE CONTACTLESS every $5 gives 10 UNI$ which equal 20 miles). Same incredible mileage-earning ratio for internet shopping with certain restrictions (travel-related, utilities, etc.). Earn 0.4 mile for every $1 for regular, signature-based payments AND ORPHAN SPEND DUE TO $5 ROUNDING OR EXCEEDING THE BONUS U$2000 SPEND (every $5 gives 1 UNI$ which equal 2 miles).

Earning 4 miles/$ is limited to the first S$1110 spent during the per calendar month (via Mobile Contactless). 2,000UNI$ refers to the extra 9UNI$ and does not include the normal 1UNI$.(Stop when you notice you earn 3UNI$ (1 + bonus 2) for the last S$5 transaction. ($1110/5)x9=1998UNI$, hence the last S$5 transaction will earn 2 bonus UNI$. The total bonus UNI$ awarded to you from qualifying spend on Selected Online Transactions and Mobile Contactless Transactions is capped at UNI$2,000 for each calendar month. THE CAP IS ON THE 9 UNI$ BONUS NOT 10UNI$ TOTAL YOU GET WITH BASE OF U$1 PER $ SPEND

Keep in mind that some merchants offer different, non-mileage accruing awards with UOB cards which are called SMART$. Some popular merchants include Cold Storage, Guardian and Giant Supermarket, ToastBox and Starbucks. A full list of merchants where Mobile contactless transactions will NOT earn miles can be found here:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...smartclub.html

Requirements: min. income $30,000 ($60,000 for foreigners).
Cost: First year free, then $192.60 for main and $96.30 for supplementary. Annual fee waived off easily.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion, in blocks of 5000 UNI$=10,000 miles. UNI$ are combined in 1 cardholder's name for all UOB cards.

Pros: Incredible mileage accrual rates for Paywave transactions (not all merchants - some give SMART$ instead which are different rewards!) as well as internet transactions (some restrictions apply).
Cons: Points allocated on every $5 spent, rounded down to next $5. Transfer in blocks of 5000 UNI$ points = 10,000 miles. Points are valid for 2 years (transfer before expiry and they will subsequently be valid for a further 3 years from the date of transfer to KrisFlyer).

3. Citi PremierMiles MasterCard

https://www.citibank.com.sg/credit-cards/travel/premiermiles-card/?ecid=PSGONSGCCAENPM

Mileage accrual: Earn 1.2 miles for every $1 spent. Earn 2 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS. 10,000 bonus miles for each annual membership renewal.

Requirements: min. income $50,000 for VISA. Principal cardholder must be at least 21 years of age.
Cost: First year free, then $192.60 for VISA main, supplementary always free. Annual fee waiver available in exchange for forfeiting the 10,000renewal bonus.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion.

Pros: Decent all-rounder, good for overseas spend. Points never expire. Bonus miles for annual card renewal. 11 frequent flyer programs & 3 hotel programs to choose from, including EVA Air - only 25,000 miles for 1 way Business Class within Asia!!
Cons: No miles awarded for EZ-Link & Transitlink transactions. Miles awarded per S$1. Cents not included. 1.2 miles/S$1. Transfer in blocks of 10,000 miles.

4. DBS Altitude VISA/AMEX

http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...e/default.aspx
http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...e/default.aspx

Mileage accrual: Earn 1.2 miles for every $1 spent (every $5 gives 3 DBS points which equal 6 miles). Earn 2 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS.

Requirements: min. income $80,000.
Cost: First year free, then $180 for main and $90 for supplementary. Annual fee waiver if you charge $25,000 or more in a year.
Miles conversion fee: S$26.75 per transfer, redeem 1700 DBS points to waive off.

Pros: Points never expire. No rounding down transaction amount to nearest $5 (calculation is done as follows: DBS points = 'transaction amount' divided by 5, multiply by 3, after that round down to nearest whole number. Minimum spend is S$1.67. Each DBS point = 2 miles). Earn 3 miles per S$1 spent on all online Flight and Hotel transactions (capped at S$5,000 per month). 10,000 miles renewal bonus if you have to pay card renewal fees.
Cons: All local spend now down to 1.2 miles/$ (since Dec 1, 2013). AMEX not always accepted by merchants. Transfer in blocks of 5000 DBS points = 10,000 miles (on the plus side points don't expire). Per transfer of S$26.75, redeem 1700 DBS points to waive off.

5. Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/persona...visa-card.aspx

Earn 3.2 air miles (8X TREATS Points) with every dollar spent on dining, petrol, taxi fares and hotel bookings at Agoda.com/horizon
Earn 2 air miles (5X TREATS Points) with every dollar spent on air tickets, travel packages and foreign currency transactions, with a minimal S$300 in a calendar month

Earn 0.4 mile for every $1 spent elsewhere (1 mile for every $2.50 spent).

Requirements: min. income $30,000 ($80,000 for foreigners).
Cost: $150 for main, supplementary always free. Unsure of any annual fee waiver conditions.
Miles conversion fee: In blocks of 5,000 points to 2000 Asia Miles or KrisFlyer. S$26.75 fee applies.

Pros: Great for ticket purchases and overseas spend. Complimentary access to selected VIP airport lounges when you charge a minimum of S$400 in a single transaction on air tickets or travel packages to your Card 3 months prior to the date of travel.
Cons: Great ONLY for ticket purchases and overseas spend. Points are valid for 1 year only, expire either on 30 June or 31 December of the same year if not Rewards Infinite member.

6. Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend AMEX

https://www.americanexpress.com/sg/s...nd-credit-card

Mileage accrual: Earn 1.2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on all your eligible purchases with your Card

Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 equivalent in foreign currency spent overseas on eligible purchases during June and December

Requirements: min. income $50,000 ($60,000 for foreigners). Principal cardholder must be over 21 years of age.
Cost: First year free, otherwise $256.80 for main, 2 supplementary cards always free (more available at $80.25 each). Annual fee cannot be waived unless you spend alot.
Miles conversion fee: None - your KrisFlyer miles are transferred to your account directly with no conversion fees or charges.

Pros: None, except for welcome offers (4 complimentary airport lounge access vouchers, one complimentary night with Millennium Hotels and Resorts).

Cons: Simply nothing special - there are better cards available for all types of purchases, including flight tickets, even with all of the bonuses above applied. AMEX not always accepted by merchants.

7. Citibank Rewards Card

http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...CACRENCCHOCALM

Earn 10X Rewards (10 Rewards Points or 4 Miles for every S$1 spent) when you shop for clothes, bags and shoes or at departmental stores or online shopping websites, including SingTel & M1 online bill payment!

Pros: Transfer to 11 FFPs & 3 Hotel programs in blocks of 25,000 points=10,000 miles; S$25 fee.

Cons: Points awarded per S$1 spend. Cents not included. Cannot combined Thank You Points across cards.

8. DBS Woman's World MasterCard® Card

http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/cards...astercard-card

10X Rewards for Online Retail Purchases
T&C Here: https://www.dbs.com.sg/iwov-resource...s_card_tnc.pdf

Pros: Men also can get this card!! DBS points are combined in 1 cardholder's name. No rounding down transaction amount to nearest $5 (calculation is done as follows: DBS points = 'transaction amount' divided by 5, multiply by 10, after that round down to nearest whole number. Minimum spend is S$1. Each DBS point = 2 miles).

Cons: DBS points are valid for 1 year based on card anniversary date. The additional 9X DBS Points for online retail spend in a calendar month will be awarded on the 16th of the next calendar month. If the above days are not working days, the Points will be awarded on the next working day. The additional 9X DBS Points are only applicable to the first S$2,000 online retail spend every calendar month.

9. OCBC Titanium Rewards Card

https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankin...astercard.html

10x OCBC$ on your shopping Local & Overseas Shopping Transactions, Local & Overseas Department Store Transactions and Local & Overseas Online Transactions.
The remaining 9 OCBC$ will be posted to the Card Account by the end of the next calendar month

https://www.ocbc.com/assets/pdf/card...ons.pdf?rand=1
10,000 KrisFlyer miles requires OCBC$ 25000, For each conversion of OCBC$ to KrisFlyer miles a fee of S$25 will be charged

10. UOB Lady's Card
https://www.uob.com.sg/personal/card...ard/index.page

============

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

fern76 - thanks for reporting back!

Statement audit - here I come!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fern76
For all interested, UOB has gotten back to me good and proper this morning.

One working day was all that was needed when MAS forwarded them my complaint.

I am satisfied with their investigations and am making sure they are writing me the explanation in black and white.

So yes, they are afraid of the big boy. MAS is your way to go if like an earlier post said, the complaints are valid.
UOB (Singapore banks in general?) seems super scared of MAS just for forwarding complaints under MAS cover.

HK banks are a bit more recalcitrant, but HKMA does show up in flesh, body and spirit into their offices if a complaint does drag on and involve a number of similar complainants.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
The UOB PRIV Amex/MC cards will have their earnings reduced to 1.4 miles per local dollar, and 2.4 miles per foreign dollar from 15 May. Wiki has been updated.
"From 15 May 2015, the earn rate will be 1.4 miles for every $1 spent (every $5 gives 7 miles), and 2.4 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS (every $5 gives 12 miles)."

Needs updating. 1.4 miles for every S$1 spent is for blocks of S$10, or every S$10 gives 14 miles.

If charge S$5, give 6 miles, S$15 give 20 miles etc, due to 3.5x decimal place rounding off.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

@percysmith - hasn't HKG always been more Laissez Faire?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jagmeets
@percysmith - hasn't HKG always been more Laissez Faire?
Ask kaka
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG SPG KF OW Marco Polo
Originally Posted by jagmeets
fern76 - thanks for reporting back!

Statement audit - here I come!
No, thank you for the tip otherwise I will still be waiting around for the multiple call-backs UOB promised.

I only ever audit my UOB bills. AMEX and Citi never give me any issues. In fact, I will go as far as saying that AMEX is the best. They show the bonus rewards clearly on the statements and if and when they do make mistakes, they make amends.

For me, once was when their concierge service did not follow up on a purchase of mine properly with the delivery arriving after I had left SG. I had needed to take the items with me so of course I was really annoyed. They made good the charge on the items.

Another was just recently when they furnished some wrong info on the Ascend 35k bonus miles promotion, giving the wrong spend limit and the wrong figure for what I had used so far. After I pointed out the mistakes (total of 3!!!), they did a check and admitted fault. They proceeded to award the full miles "out of courtesy" and I did not need to fulfil the 10k limit.

The AMEX customer service is why I am still a sucker paying for the charge card annual fees. It can't be beat.

The UOB CSO I spoke with still has to verify some calculations for me. I actually feel sorry for him as it is a whole year's worth of things he has to go through for my case and I used the cards heavily up till this year. But, as I told him, this could all have been avoided if someone had done the right thing and called me back as promised.

I suspect UOB uses an archaic IT system which does not help the CSOs in their jobs. From what I figure, there is an actual record of UNI$ against transactions but it is quite messy and difficult to trace.

I am very glad that this matter is on its way to being fully resolved. For me, it is not a matter of arguing over a few hundred points monthly or just taking my business elsewhere. No offence to those who suggested that but it is PRECISELY because many consumers sweep things under the carpet that the general service standards in SG is abominable and it is how UOB became "clawback king". That should not be the way.

I don't churn miles and my transactions are all legitimate. If so, the bank should deliver what it promises. And if they can't, the reasons they have should be made known clearly to me as well. It is as simple as that.

Originally Posted by percysmith
UOB (Singapore banks in general?) seems super scared of MAS just for forwarding complaints under MAS cover.

HK banks are a bit more recalcitrant, but HKMA does show up in flesh, body and spirit into their offices if a complaint does drag on and involve a number of similar complainants.
I don't know about other banks and I don't hope to have to make another official MAS complaint like this again. But yes, it was like lighting a dynamite under their bottoms. Very quick.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by fern76
The UOB CSO I spoke with still has to verify some calculations for me. I actually feel sorry for him as it is a whole year's worth of things he has to go through for my case and I used the cards heavily up till this year. But, as I told him, this could all have been avoided if someone had done the right thing and called me back as promised.

I suspect UOB uses an archaic IT system which does not help the CSOs in their jobs. From what I figure, there is an actual record of UNI$ against transactions but it is quite messy and difficult to trace.
So what exactly was the UOB root cause of the problem? That every transaction was given the correct miles, but the monthly statement doesn't capture exactly the transactions reported for that month - i.e. some transactions from previous statement spill over to current month's statement, and some transaction from current month's spills over to next statement? Is this why it's a nightmare for even the poor CSO to reconcile properly... much less us mortals?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Citibank Premier Miles Promo, new. 50% more miles (3 miles/$ in total) on foreign spend during long weekends for rest of year, registration required, min spend $1000 for period, maximum bonus miles 3000 (per period).

Covers:
1-3 May
30 May - 1 June
17-19 July
8-10 August ( don't they know 7 August is holiday too)
24-26 Sept
8-10 Nov
25-27 Dec
Thanks for sharing this. I was about to make a significant air ticket purchase in foreign currency so this has helped determine which card to use!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG SPG KF OW Marco Polo
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
So what exactly was the UOB root cause of the problem? That every transaction was given the correct miles, but the monthly statement doesn't capture exactly the transactions reported for that month - i.e. some transactions from previous statement spill over to current month's statement, and some transaction from current month's spills over to next statement? Is this why it's a nightmare for even the poor CSO to reconcile properly... much less us mortals?
The CSO mentioned that some of the UNI$ may have spilt over to the following billing cycle but that would not have made sense for my end Sept txns since the cycle ends in the middle of every month for me.

I am not sure but I think UOB gives out the UNI$ corresponding to every bill unlike DBS WWMC which gives out bonuses only the following month.

Also, I questioned him about a mysterious claw back for myself in my Aug statement and he claimed that UOB had wrongly credited some cardmembers with extra UNI$ in the June and July bills. I asked him to tell me clearly where the mistakes were to be found when he next calls me. I don't know if any of you experienced that.

I would hardly be surprised if the UNI$ statements are handwritten pieces of paper although it wouldn't make sense for them not to have an automated system. Well, even if it was automated, it surely can't be difficult to skim some UNI$ off unsuspecting cardmembers.

Seeing as they did get back to me very quickly, I agreed to give the CSO a week to iron out my remaining questions. If they are not satisfactorily answered again, I will request to see the UNI$ statement. I seriously don't see why the bank can't show proper calculations if everything is above board.

It has been very obvious to me, over the many convos I have had with the UOB CSOs, that they also have problems understanding and reconciling the UNI$. Like I told the latest one I am dealing with, if the system is so bad, then certainly it is something for their higher ups to do something and improve upon.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:52 pm

Best credit cards to use for miles accumulation in Singapore

Hey all, long time follower, first time posting.

Not sure if you Gurus already know about all these information i'm about the post but its a more visual experience to see it from this site that my friend made to explain which cards to use and when to use it.

http://deetiles.com/lists/57/best-cr...s-in-singapore

Hope this helps you guys, feel free to share it!^^ Good stuff must share!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Thanks for sharing this. I was about to make a significant air ticket purchase in foreign currency so this has helped determine which card to use!
Don't forget to register using SMS code PM50.

Strange thing I registered via SMS and returned a message thanking me registering, with a link to T&C. The T&C indicate must register during one of the promotion periods. I will register again on May 1 to make sure!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Citibank Premier Miles Promo, new. 50% more miles (3 miles/$ in total) on foreign spend during long weekends
For Citi PM, do internet purchases in non-SGD currency qualify as "foreign spend?" Or do I have to physically go on holiday somewhere and swipe $1000+ on the card?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by shuigao
For Citi PM, do internet purchases in non-SGD currency qualify as "foreign spend?" Or do I have to physically go on holiday somewhere and swipe $1000+ on the card?
Sorry, foreign spend was my word which is wrong, as "foreign" spend in SGD is ineligible. Basically it is non-SGD spend. From T&C:
Qualifying Charges: Eligible Cardholders who charge a minimum amount of S$1,000 equivalent in any currency other than Singapore Dollars in each 3-day Promotion Period (“Qualifying Charges”) on their Citi PremierMiles Visa Card (“Card”) account will be eligible to receive an additional 50% Bonus Citi Miles for every S$1 of the Qualifying Charges made (“Bonus Citi Miles”). For the avoidance of doubt, Eligible Cardholders cannot accumulate spend across Promotion Periods. Citibank bears no liability for any late submission or transaction posting of any purchase by any merchant that might affect the Eligible Cardholder’s eligibility to qualify for the Promotion.
And

7. Qualifying charges are charges made in any currency other than Singapore Dollars to the Card account (unless excluded by Citibank in its absolute discretion) which do not arise from any Equal Payment Plan purchases, refunded, disputed, unauthorised or fraudulent retail purchases, Quick Cash transactions and monthly installments, cash advance, quasi-cash transactions, balance transfers, annual card membership fees, interest, goods and services taxes, late payment fees and any other form of service / miscellaneous fees.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Reg84
Hey all, long time follower, first time posting.

Not sure if you Gurus already know about all these information i'm about the post but its a more visual experience to see it from this site that my friend made to explain which cards to use and when to use it.

http://xxx

Hope this helps you guys, feel free to share it!^^ Good stuff must share!
Hmm, a first post with flattery and self-promotion. Not sure I'm buying it. Looks more like generating traffic to the site.

All the info on that blog can be gained from this forum or HWZ with a bit of effort. While you guys can do what you want, highlighting certain earn methods over and over to broader audiences will sooner or later lead to their elimination. Just saying.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Hmm, a first post with flattery and self-promotion. Not sure I'm buying it. Looks more like generating traffic to the site.

All the info on that blog can be gained from this forum or HWZ with a bit of effort. While you guys can do what you want, highlighting certain earn methods over and over to broader audiences will sooner or later lead to their elimination. Just saying.
Frankly I don't see the need to go to any other site for collective intelligence than this very FT thread. I find the responses from regulars here are more measured and well thought as opposed to the Singlish-ridden and haphazard conjectures of HWZ.

Just my personal preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.