FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Awesom Andy Jul 10, 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by cruiseflyer (Post 16702372)
I actually find my ANZ switch credit card a great accrual tool though it has none of the fancy accelerated mileage schemes like the DBS Altitude. First off, there is no annual fee on this card EVER. Secondly, they often have promos during say the GSS or Christmas sale period where one can get rewards at half the usual point price - though they limit you to a max 6,000 krisflyer miles (ie by converting 1,500 points) during each promotional period. All in, I believe I have accumulated about 18,000 miles to date and they only require you to spend about $2,000 minimum over the promo period of about 2 and a half months. Not too bad I'd say.

Most cards would have their annual fees waived after a phone call anyway, so that's not really a major thing unless you absolutely hate phone calls. You only earn 1 point for every $5 spend (correct me though, if I'm mistaken), so even at the discounted rate, the earn rate is $1.25 per mile, or 0.8 mile for every $1.

aster Jul 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Apparently HSBC has a card that gives lots of points for supermarket spend, but unlike the Citi card they don't include Meidi-Ya, my favourite Singapore supermarket. :)

SQueeze Jul 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 16702954)
Most cards would have their annual fees waived after a phone call anyway, so that's not really a major thing unless you absolutely hate phone calls. You only earn 1 point for every $5 spend (correct me though, if I'm mistaken), so even at the discounted rate, the earn rate is $1.25 per mile, or 0.8 mile for every $1.

Agree - I never paid a single cent for any fees unless paying a fee gives back cheap 10,000 bonus miles such as DBS Altitude's, or Citi PM's.

adamantine Jul 11, 2011 3:50 am

[QUOTE=vsepr;16325077]

Originally Posted by chrispstan (Post 16170175)

I made purchases with the Citi Rewards Card at Takashimaya Singapore's basement Japanese Restaurant and bakery which uses the Takashimaya credit card machine. Both Charge slip and posted charge online states: TAKASHIMAYA (S) LTD SINGAPORE SG.

However, when I check the rewards page, I was calculated that I was awarded only 1x point. I called to the Citiphone hotline and the staff said the merchant code is 5814: Food, hence not eligible for 10x.

The eligible merchant code for 10x Rewards are:
5621 – women ready to wear
5699 – accessories & apparel store, miscellaneous
5691 – men’s, women’s clothing store
5631 – women accessories & specialty store
5651 – family clothing store
5611 – men and boy’s clothing and accessories store
5655 – sports apparel & riding apparel store
5641 – children & infant wear store
5661 – shoe store
5948 – leather goods & luggage
5311 – departmental store

The cashiers may or may not know the merchant code. You can try asking them if you not sure when making payment.

I'm just wondering where will these codes appear on the receipt or credit card charge slip?

vsepr Jul 11, 2011 4:52 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 16703609)
Apparently HSBC has a card that gives lots of points for supermarket spend, but unlike the Citi card they don't include Meidi-Ya, my favourite Singapore supermarket. :)

Citi Platinum VISA (Discontinued) awards 5x Citidollars at Meidi-Ya Supermarket too. Info here: https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/cred...erCode=SGCPCWA

Citibank 5X Rewards Merchants

Department Stores
TANGS . Isetan . John Little . Marks & Spencer . Metro . OG . Robinsons . BHG . Takashimaya Department Store.

Supermarkets/Hypermarkets
Carrefour . Cold Storage . Giant . Market Place . NTUC Fair Price . Shop N Save . Singapore Meidi-Ya (Applicable only at outlets accepting credit card payment)

You made a mistake, HSBC does not have a card that gives a lot of points for supermarket spend. HSBC VISA Platinum gives 5% rebate at Cold Storage, Giant, Marketplace & Jasons instead. Info here: http://www.hsbc.com.sg/1/2/personal/...-platinum-card

vsepr Jul 11, 2011 4:53 am

[QUOTE=adamantine;16706766]

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 16325077)

I'm just wondering where will these codes appear on the receipt or credit card charge slip?

They do not appear on the credit card charge slip. You have to call up the card centre to ask the merchant code for the charge.

vsepr Jul 11, 2011 4:58 am

Bad news!!!

In the DBS Rewards Catalogue 2011/2012, effective 01 July 2011,
Each mile transferred by the Principal Cardholder to his designated airline's frequent flyer programme ("Transfer") must be to an account bearing his own name and subject to a minimum of 2000 DBS Points (= 4000 miles) for each transfer.

Last year was in blocks of 1000 DBS points.

https://rewards.dbs.com/index.aspx

Will DBS Altitude Card holders still support DBS Altitude Card?

Awesom Andy Jul 11, 2011 6:04 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 16706911)
Will DBS Altitude Card holders still support DBS Altitude Card?

Probably. The earn rate is unchanged, and the excess miles will have a 3-year life span so they'll get used up next time. It's not very nice, but definitely not a deal breaker, IMO.

vsepr Jul 11, 2011 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 16707084)
Probably. The earn rate is unchanged, and the excess miles will have a 3-year life span so they'll get used up next time. It's not very nice, but definitely not a deal breaker, IMO.

:td:So this is how DBS Altitude Card values your loyalty. Every 2 years or so increase the blocks of miles. From initally 250 DBS Points = 500 miles to 1000 DBS Points = 2000 miles to now 2000 DBS Points = 4000 miles. I guess by July 2013 they will go up even higher, so that you transfer less number of times in a year for the S$42.80 you paid (This fee has not increased ever since it started).

I suggest once the annual transfer fee of S$42.80 is due for renewal after a year, think seriously hard before renewing or continuing to use DBS Altitude Card. If you think it's worth it, then go ahead, if not, switch to Citibank cards.

aster Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

And how does Citi treat your loyalty? :td:

Let me see, DBS raised their mileage ratio to 1.6/$ towards the end of last year and has kept it for this year. ^

Citi tried to compete and raised its ratio last year, but THIS YEAR they LOWERED it back down to 1.2/$. :td:

I strongly suggest you "think seriously hard before renewing or continuing to use" Citi PM. ;)

adamantine Jul 11, 2011 5:38 pm

im having a dispute with citi rewards card on their 10x merchant.

Bought a sneakers at a famous sport apparel brand and was not given the 10x points, reason being that merchant was not a 10x merchant. bullocks I think...

CSO hasn't replied my latest email since...

SQueeze Jul 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Oh. mind if you share which merchant is this?

vsepr Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by adamantine (Post 16710803)
im having a dispute with citi rewards card on their 10x merchant.

Bought a sneakers at a famous sport apparel brand and was not given the 10x points, reason being that merchant was not a 10x merchant. bullocks I think...

CSO hasn't replied my latest email since...

You can call up the CSO, ask what is the merchant code for the charge. It must be one of the following for 10x points:

The eligible merchant code for 10x Rewards are:
5621 – women ready to wear
5699 – accessories & apparel store, miscellaneous
5691 – men’s, women’s clothing store
5631 – women accessories & specialty store
5651 – family clothing store
5611 – men and boy’s clothing and accessories store
5655 – sports apparel & riding apparel store
5641 – children & infant wear store
5661 – shoe store
5948 – leather goods & luggage
5311 – departmental store

vsepr Jul 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 16708838)
And how does Citi treat your loyalty? :td:

Let me see, DBS raised their mileage ratio to 1.6/$ towards the end of last year and has kept it for this year. ^

Citi tried to compete and raised its ratio last year, but THIS YEAR they LOWERED it back down to 1.2/$. :td:

I strongly suggest you "think seriously hard before renewing or continuing to use" Citi PM. ;)

I didn't enjoy the promo last year where they increased the earning rate for spending >$1000 a month to 1.60 mile for every $1 spent because I don't charge > $1000 a month to Citi PM. I spread my expenses over the 4 must have Citibank cards instead of charging it to 1 card to earn the most miles.

Seems like you are not very concerned about the raising of the transfer blocks requirement to 2000 DBS Points = 4000 miles. If you are ok with it, then continue to support DBS Altitude Card. I'm quite sure in 2 years time, in July 2013, they will raise the requirement again. This time to transfer in blocks of 3000 or 4000 DBS points.

luv_flying Jul 11, 2011 8:21 pm

So far I am happy using my Citibank card. My worry is will the rest of the banks follow?