FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

MilesBuzz Nov 21, 2013 5:23 am

Planning for a bulk purchase of SQ tickets (> S$4.5k). Since i no longer can use the SCB AE (HKG) card now, I suppose for SG-based card the KF Amex Ascend card is the most suitable?

I can accrue 7.5k miles from the tickets alone ($6 for 10 miles) plus additional accelerator of 7x300 = 2.1k miles, for almost 10k miles. Whereas for UOB PRIV, I can only accrue 7.2k miles (4.5k/5 * 8). Is my calculation correct?

If I use my DBS Black Card/Citibak PM (both HKG-based), I can only accrue at most 7.2k miles also (4.5k x 6.35 / 4 - with 6.35 being prevailing exchange rate + 2%).

lingua101 Nov 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 21825361)
Planning for a bulk purchase of SQ tickets (> S$4.5k). Since i no longer can use the SCB AE (HKG) card now, I suppose for SG-based card the KF Amex Ascend card is the most suitable?

I can accrue 7.5k miles from the tickets alone ($6 for 10 miles) plus additional accelerator of 7x300 = 2.1k miles, for almost 10k miles. Whereas for UOB PRIV, I can only accrue 7.2k miles (4.5k/5 * 8). Is my calculation correct?

If I use my DBS Black Card/Citibak PM (both HKG-based), I can only accrue at most 7.2k miles also (4.5k x 6.35 / 4 - with 6.35 being prevailing exchange rate + 2%).

I thought Citi PM Amex is the best for buying SQ ticket? 3miles/$?

Aeran Nov 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by tranceaty (Post 21819740)
I usually had no issue except for once when I encountered similar problem as you, Aeran. I also saw the "transaction successful", and like you, I'll print to pdf. But I made a mistake after the pdf copy is printed, I clicked on the "x" (close) button of the window instead of the "OK" button of the page. I realized that only after clicking the "ok", it will then update your new balance immediately. Not for "x" button.

However, I'm lucky that I only need to wait for a few minutes (logging out then log in again) and I saw the balance updated correctly.

Thanks for sharing Tranceaty! Actually when I come to think about it, I may have also pressed the "x" button to close the window after printing the confirmation page the two times it has failed (after all, we'd assume a confirmation # and success page means we're done right?). I believe when I press "ok" instead, it works and automatically reverts to / refreshes the new balance.

In my case however, pressing "x" seems to cancel the transaction permanently as opposed to delaying it (despite the success page / confirmation number) as the funds for that top-up never show up, and my credit card is never charged for the transaction.

Guess it's a bug that I should inform EZ-Link about. In the meantime, for those of you topping-up your AMEX Imagine card online, make sure to press "ok" and not close the window on the transaction completed page to get your funds immediately!

Aeran Nov 22, 2013 12:10 am

Another tip for those using the AMEX Imagine:

There is a Black Friday promotion giving 10% cash rebate on all overseas online shopping (read: settled in a foreign currency) made on the AMEX Imagine card between Nov 29 - Dec 5, 2013. This is capped at S$100 per card, which isn't bad. According to their Facebook (linked below), this is based on settled transactions within the period, so best to spend S$1k shortly after Nov 29 to ensure you get the full S$100 back. Promotion terms in the Facebook / site link below.

This also stacks with the ongoing 5% cash rebate for the AMEX Imagine through Feb 28, 2014. Though that 5% has a substantially lower cap at $5 per month (AMEX purse) / $2.50 per month (EZ-Link purse). Promotion terms also in the site link below.

Overall quite a generous offer IMHO. Time to order more AMEX Imagines!

https://www.facebook.com/imaginecard
http://www.imaginecard.com.sg/campaign.html

MilesBuzz Nov 22, 2013 2:28 am

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 21830354)
I thought Citi PM Amex is the best for buying SQ ticket? 3miles/$?

I don't have the Citi PM AE yet.

Archieflyer Nov 22, 2013 2:53 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 21831661)
I don't have the Citi PM AE yet.

If you have ANZ Travel Visa, that offers 2.8 miles/$ for air tickets, earning 12.6 miles for $4.5k spend.

Awesom Andy Nov 22, 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 21831719)
If you have ANZ Travel Visa, that offers 2.8 miles/$ for air tickets, earning 12.6 miles for $4.5k spend.

Don't think I would want to spend $4.5k just to have a return of 12.6 miles... although 12.6k miles would be worth considering. :)

MilesBuzz Nov 22, 2013 6:11 pm

The 2.8 miles for S$1 is limited to S$5k (i.e. 14k miles) per month right?

And for Citibank PM AE, it's 2.5 miles for S$1. Both options are obviously more favorable to the Ascend card.....maybe I should apply for either one.

Archieflyer Nov 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 21833425)
Don't think I would want to spend $4.5k just to have a return of 12.6 miles... although 12.6k miles would be worth considering. :)

Oops. Yes. Typo...

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 21836248)
The 2.8 miles for S$1 is limited to S$5k (i.e. 14k miles) per month right?

Yes.

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 21836248)
And for Citibank PM AE, it's 2.5 miles for S$1. Both options are obviously more favorable to the Ascend card.....maybe I should apply for either one.

Yes. However, there is an on-going promotion where you earn 20% more miles if you spend $5k between now and 31/3/14. So, for tickets on singaporeair.com, that's a total of 3 miles/$.

If you are going to apply for a card to buy the tickets, get the Citi PM AE.

aster Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Aeran (Post 21831363)
Another tip for those using the AMEX Imagine:

There is a Black Friday promotion giving 10% cash rebate on all overseas online shopping (read: settled in a foreign currency) made on the AMEX Imagine card between Nov 29 - Dec 5, 2013. This is capped at S$100 per card, which isn't bad. According to their Facebook (linked below), this is based on settled transactions within the period, so best to spend S$1k shortly after Nov 29 to ensure you get the full S$100 back. Promotion terms in the Facebook / site link below.

This also stacks with the ongoing 5% cash rebate for the AMEX Imagine through Feb 28, 2014. Though that 5% has a substantially lower cap at $5 per month (AMEX purse) / $2.50 per month (EZ-Link purse). Promotion terms also in the site link below.

Overall quite a generous offer IMHO. Time to order more AMEX Imagines!

https://www.facebook.com/imaginecard
http://www.imaginecard.com.sg/campaign.html

This will be an interesting one as we can get 4 miles/$ for topping up the Imagine card, and then a 10% rebate for foreign purchases towards the end of the month. :)

Only thing that worries me is how they previously capped the rebate at $5 (so basically 5% from first $100 spent) and now they've raised the rebate amount 20x and doubled the percentage to 10%. Going to make the most of it though.

aster Nov 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aeran (Post 21831305)
Guess it's a bug that I should inform EZ-Link about. In the meantime, for those of you topping-up your AMEX Imagine card online, make sure to press "ok" and not close the window on the transaction completed page to get your funds immediately!

What I do is wait for the automatic refresh instead of clicking on anything. Let it do everything for you. :) Never had a problem this way.

But of course if someone wants to speed things up and not wait for the 20-second refresh then as mentioned do NOT close the window and just click on the "ok" button.

invisible Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21824777)
Thanks, just wanted to know if I can more than one as I have a few actives ones and I never seem to keep track of how much is left on each one... :)

I have three cards registered - that's max. Two are used for transport, one - for retail purchases - Giant, taxis, etc.

You can use Activate's website instead of using the app, however as I wrote on HWZ forum they had a glitch and transactions in Oct 22-25 were gone for all three cards. Better to check it on fairly regularly.

invisible Nov 23, 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Aeran (Post 21813694)
Quick question: has anyone ever had top-up transactions not go through despite getting the TeleMoney EasyPay 'Your transaction is successful' confirmation screen w/ reference # after the OTP? It's happened twice to me so far (once each on M1 PMC and just now on AMEX Imagine) out of a total of 6 transactions.

Both times I'd initiate the top-up online, enter the SMS OTP, and get the confirmation screen & reference number (which I'd print to PDF). However, the top-up amount wasn't reflected on either the website or iPhone app.

The first time this happened I waited a day, the top-up still hadn't posted, and then I tried again and it worked. Called up EZ-Link and they had no record of the failed transaction (and it didn't show up on my PPV statement online either) - despite having the 'transaction successful' + reference #. I chalked it up to perhaps an issue as that was my first top-up to the M1 PMC.

The second time just happened right now. I tried to do my second top-up to my AMEX Imagine but the +$750 balance didn't update after the transaction completed. Decided to try my luck after an hour and tried another +$750 top-up (figuring it would just bounce if the initial one went through since the cap is $1k) and it went through immediately.

I figure it's safe to assume a top-up failed if the app/website doesn't update the balance immediately (despite the confirmation) and try again, but just wondering if anyone else has had issues with this? A 33% fail-rate is quite alarming IMO.

I had exactly the same problem and I have a good habit to take screenshots and print PDFs. In my case I got 'transaction successful' from TeleMoney screen and 'transaction unsuccessful' from Imagine card. No funds were added on Imagine card, however money were deducted from DBS card.

I called Ezlink immediately and provided them reference number and authorization code from TeleMoney receipt. They said that backend will handle the investigations and let me know the result. Next day they called back and said that transaction did not go thru and they will refund money back to the card.

It has been 3 days since last talk but I have not seen refund yet. Will call back on Monday if it is not there yet.

Bottom line - be very careful with topup/usage.

aster Nov 23, 2013 10:28 am

Never had a problem with topping up online, but I guess doing a quick screenshot should become standard practice until users' stop reporting such issues.

The good thing is that the points are still rolling in, my latest UOB PPV topups are still generating 4 miles/$ as usual. :)

lsed Nov 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21836479)
This will be an interesting one as we can get 4 miles/$ for topping up the Imagine card, and then a 10% rebate for foreign purchases towards the end of the month. :)

Only thing that worries me is how they previously capped the rebate at $5 (so basically 5% from first $100 spent) and now they've raised the rebate amount 20x and doubled the percentage to 10%. Going to make the most of it though.

Yeah I have a strong feeling $100 is a bit too much, but supposing the cap is correct - it is calculated per month...
Perhaps if you structure your spending so that settled transactions are posted when you need it to - this would be potentially highly lucrative

or have I said too much lol