FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

vsepr Jun 13, 14 6:32 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 22995563)
I called up the card centre. It's capped at first S$10,000 per calendar month. So its ok. Phew!

I received my 9th June statement today, 13th June in the mail and saw that news in the statement.

Called up the card centre to confirm if its capped at S$10,000 per calender month or calendar year. The CSO cannot confirm. Need to call back again later in June 2014.

But I think common sense tells us it should be capped at S$10,000 per calendar month. Per calendar year is too low.

vsepr Jun 13, 14 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23027315)
I received my 9th June statement today, 13th June in the mail and saw that news in the statement.

Called up the card centre to confirm if its capped at S$10,000 per calender month or calendar year. The CSO cannot confirm. Need to call back again later in June 2014.

But I think common sense tells us it should be capped at S$10,000 per calendar month. Per calendar year is too low.

Today I called ANZ and I'm told another story.

So long as you own the ANZ Travel Card, wef 11 July 2014, only the first S$10,000 you charge will earn 1.4 Travel$. After that you earn 0.5 Travel$.

Means, the cap is not per month or per year. It's PER CARD. Either you cancel the card and reapply or you stop using the card. Ridiculous!!

carrotjuice Jun 13, 14 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23031003)

So long as you own the ANZ Travel Card, wef 11 July 2014, only the first S$10,000 you charge will earn 1.4 Travel$. After that you earn 0.5 Travel$.

Means, the cap is not per month or per year. It's PER CARD. Either you cancel the card and reapply or you stop using the card. Ridiculous!!

If so, this is the most stupid marketing strategy I've heard to date of any bank!!

Volasia Jun 13, 14 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23031003)

another local forum says it's per billing cycle and that there was already a 14k limit before, it is just a slight reduction. I'm amazed how badly trained ANZ CSOs are. Anyway, I think we will have to wait for next month to be sure.

vsepr Jun 13, 14 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 23031657)
another local forum says it's per billing cycle and that there was already a 14k limit before, it is just a slight reduction. I'm amazed how badly trained ANZ CSOs are. Anyway, I think we will have to wait for next month to be sure.

I have read the lines on the statement news section many times and try to interpret it.

It seems that the S$10,000 quota is per card because if its per calendar month or year, it would have stated so.

Example from http://www.anz.com/singapore/en/pers...s/travel-card/
* 2.8 air miles promotion: Applicable to Existing Cardmembers and open to new Principal Cardmembers who successfully apply for an ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card. The maximum number of Travel$ which can be awarded under the Promotion will be limited to 14,000 Travel$ per Principal Cardmember per calendar month.

carrotjuice Jun 14, 14 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 23031657)

The 14K per calendar month limit applied to all spends at special merchants that earn 2.8 miles per S$1 - airlines, some OTAs, car rentals, spends incurred in AU and NZ. There was never a limit previously for the 1.4 miles per S$1 earned on regular spends.

Agree on how poorly this is communicated / trained through the ANZ CSOs though.

vsepr Jun 14, 14 5:52 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 23032188)
The 14K per calendar month limit applied to all spends at special merchants that earn 2.8 miles per S$1 - airlines, some OTAs, car rentals, spends incurred in AU and NZ. There was never a limit previously for the 1.4 miles per S$1 earned on regular spends.

Agree on how poorly this is communicated / trained through the ANZ CSOs though.

From 11 July 2014, with ANZ Travel Card's cap of S$10,000 per card and the old Citibank Platinum VISA not giving 5x points at supermarkets from 01 July 2014, I will change strategy for my spending:

I intend to apply and start using the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...visa_card.html

for all Paywave and all supermarkets transactions at NTUC, Sheng Siong and Giant for transactions S$5 to S$100 only.

Non Paywave, SMART$ outlets, EZ-Link and Paywave transactions <S$5 to >S$100 will use ANZ Travel Card to stretch the S$10,000 limit. When the S$10,000 limit is reached, stop charging to ANZ Travel Card but use it for free lounge access and use Citi PremierMiles VISA.

The bad part about UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card is transactions need to be above S$5 and transfer in blocks of 10,000 miles or spend S$2,500. But I think the blocks can be created very quickly because a large part of my spending is at supermarkets. If I need small amounts of miles, I can transfer from ANZ Travel Card, Citi PM VISA or Citi Rewards Card.

Shopping and online transactions will continue to use Citi Rewards Card.

bluepanda Jun 14, 14 9:51 pm

Regarding the Citi PM Visa 50% Bonus Promo, Clause 5 in the postcard says "The maximum Citi Miles that are awarded under the Bonus Citi Miles Promotion is 15,000 Citi Miles."

It is not entirely clear whether the maximum miles means (a) just the bonus or (b) both the base + bonus.

"Bonus Citi Miles" is defined in Clause 4 to mean the additional 50% bonus. However, in Clause 5, "Citi Miles" is used instead of "Bonus Citi Miles".

Anyone clarified?

Volasia Jun 15, 14 1:13 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23032567)
From 11 July 2014, with ANZ Travel Card's cap of S$10,000 per card and the old Citibank Platinum VISA not giving 5x points at supermarkets from 01 July 2014, I will change strategy for my spending:

You should wait for more details before making assumptions. Each time one calls ANZ there is a different version. So no need to jump the gun. Just wait one month and see.

intermagix Jun 15, 14 8:45 pm

Hi, I need help with getting a credit card for family.

Please recommend a good all rounder Visa/Mastercard credit card for someone who is beginning to accrue miles for travel. Annual salary is less than SGD 40,000 a year.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SQ319 Jun 15, 14 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by intermagix (Post 23039816)
Hi, I need help with getting a credit card for family.

Please recommend a good all rounder Visa/Mastercard credit card for someone who is beginning to accrue miles for travel. Annual salary is less than SGD 40,000 a year.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I don't think there is a really good all-rounder card, otherwise, we won't be having this thread in the first place.

Most of us hold a multitude of cards which we will use depending on type of spending.

What do you spend the most on? If you really want to get only 1 card, get the card which will help you earn the most for your largest spend.

intermagix Jun 15, 14 10:14 pm

Thank you SQ319 for the quick reply.

The card will mostly be used to pay for movie tickets, dining, online purchases and classes (around $400-$700). If that is the case, do you have any suggestion for a good travel credit card that does not require income eligibility of more than SGD 40,000?

lingua101 Jun 15, 14 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 23039896)
I don't think there is a really good all-rounder card, otherwise, we won't be having this thread in the first place.

Most of us hold a multitude of cards which we will use depending on type of spending.

What do you spend the most on? If you really want to get only 1 card, get the card which will help you earn the most for your largest spend.

I think the main problem is the income requirement. Most of the travel card that I know of required at least $60,000 annual income if not more....

With $40K annual income, I think he does not have much choice. I think probably UOB Preferred Platinum Visa may be the best choice. At least can get 10x point at PayWave merchants (Cold Storage, NTUC accept PayWave).

Personally I think Citibank Premier Miles Visa is the best travel card. Coz the miles never expire. But again this oen required $50,000 annual income.

lingua101 Jun 15, 14 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by intermagix (Post 23040117)

The card will mostly be used to pay for movie tickets, dining, online purchases and classes (around $400-$700). If that is the case, do you have any suggestion for a good travel credit card that does not require income eligibility of more than SGD 40,000?

I just notice this card Horizon Platinum Visa Travel Credit Card

Features
- Earn 5X tr’eats Points for every dollar spent on travel-related expenses
- Complimentary travel insurance coverage of up to S$1,000,000
- Complimentary access to selected VIP airport lounges
- Enjoy 24 free movies at Cathay Cineplexes.

This may suite your requirements. And only required 30K annual income.

SQ319 Jun 15, 14 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by intermagix (Post 23040117)

If you want a good card for travelling, then go with the Maybank Horizon Platinum, because this gives 5X rewards for overseas spending.

However, do note that Maybank points expire quite quickly and you need to travel reasonably frequently to accummulate enough to do a substantial conversion to KF miles since there is a conversion fee of $25.

(Last time I wouldn't mention this when conversion is free, but since it is no longer free, so you have to make a substantial conversion to make the conversion fee worth it).

I will actually suggest the following 2 cards for you based on your expenditure
- UOB Preferred Platinum Account (Amex+MC)
- UOB Preferred Platinum Visa

PPAmex will be good for dining, while PPV is good for online and Paywave purchases (I believe most movie theatres do take paywave as well).

The PPAmex comes with an MC, but don't bother with it. Just cold storage it.

Good thing about UOB is that you can consolidate your rewards from all the various UOB CCs for redemption. Only bad thing is redemption is pretty high, at UNI$5,000 for 10,000 miles.

PPAmex also gives 2X Rewards for other non-dining related spending, so you can use this for non-online/Paywave related spending as well, if Amex is accepted. You mentioned that you are paying for classes as well. Not sure what kind of classes those are, but you can pay with your Amex (if you school accepts it) to get 2X rewards.