FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

specialeffects Mar 15, 2012 1:04 am

Amex/Citi here and there

Forgive me if it has been already asked. Does Amex/Citi check and take into consideration if you have any cards issued in US? Any pointers will be helpful before I take a plunge;).
Thanks,

deebeecee Mar 15, 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18192272)
Sounds about right, although you'll need to spend quite a bit a the Amex 10x shops to make the card worth while, as traditionally, it is one of the more difficult cards to have annual fees waived (and it's $300, iirc - someone corrects me if I'm wrong).

My suspicion is that for Plat credit card users, Amex keeps an eye on how often you use their privileges.

I rarely do and for the last 2 years have had no trouble getting them to waive my membership fee. (I'm not a massive spender on the Amex)

percysmith Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

Originally Posted by deebeecee (Post 18204961)
My suspicion is that for Plat credit card users, Amex keeps an eye on how often you use their privileges.

I rarely do and for the last 2 years have had no trouble getting them to waive my membership fee. (I'm not a massive spender on the Amex)

In HK we are told explicitly (by Amex CS) that rebate on annual fee is only contingent on spending.

For Amex Plat Credit (we do not have Edge or Reserve here) HK$80,000 spending in the previous year will get you either $800 supermarket coupons or 160,000 MR points (annual fee $1,600)

For Amex Plat Charge, the above also applies, or HK$200,000 spending will get you $1,000 coupons or 200,000 MR points (annual fee $5,500).

Use of dining discounts, concession golf fee etc not considered.

Linkster Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by pogreen (Post 18199705)
Hi Linkster,

How did you manage to get that offer? Did you call up the sales rep directly? I was also deciding between a dbs altitude, treasures black and amex plat but when i spoke to the rep for amex she didn't make me such an offer..

Hi pogreen,

I didn't call up any sales rep.. they just sent me the application form and put on the form that the fees are waived.. then there is another brochure which says that they will give me 10x points for all my spending in the first three months..

adamantine Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18199162)
Amex invited me to sign up for their Platinum card for free and gave me 3 months of 10x points for all spending, regardless of merchants so I managed to clock up quite a bit of points already..

Ya, you're right.. I'll use Citi PM whenever the DBS Altitude is not accepted..

I think I might just sign up for the Amex Rewards card to give a "final boost" to my KF miles with all the sign up bonus points.. :p

Do you mean the plat credit card, reserve or charge card?

chrisksc Mar 16, 2012 4:48 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18176194)
http://www.dbs.com/treasures/sg/excl...s/default.aspx

The DBS Treasures Black Elite card already gives you double points for overseas spend, so no need to get the Maybank one as well. :)

What Maybank is good for though is their Rewards Infinite program for their Platinum cards, where you get something like 4 miles per $ for a number of various restaurants, including the Crystal Jade chain (I happen to visit them twice a week on average).

You are wrong in this aspect. Does DBS Treasures Black Elite gives you 2miles per $1 on airfare and travel-realted charges? Additionally, as you mentioned, Maybank gives 10x points (= 4miles) per $1 for EZLink topup and those Reward Infinite partners (Jack's Place, Ding Tai Fong, Crystal Jade, etc).

So the question is, why would I need to do away with the Maybank Horizon card (or not to apply for one) and opt for the DBS Treasures Black Elite card only? It would seems to me if DBS Treasures Black card offers more than what Maybank Horizon card does, then I can undestand there is no need to go for (or maintain) Maybank Horizons card.

On a seperate note, DBS charges an annual fee for transfer to FFP. Travel agents also charges more fee for using Amex vs VISA/MC. Overall, IMHO the Maybank Horizon card is still a must to have.

As for local charges, I still rate Citibank PremireMiles VISA a must have over DBS Altitute Amex card (for reasons I have posted earlier).

Linkster Mar 16, 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by adamantine (Post 18209850)
Do you mean the plat credit card, reserve or charge card?

I was invited to apply for the AMERICAN EXPRESS® PLATINUM CREDIT CARD..

I might just sign up for the AMERICAN EXPRESS® REWARDS CARD to give a "final boost" to my KF miles with all the sign up bonus points.. :P

aster Mar 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by chrisksc (Post 18211140)
You are wrong in this aspect. Does DBS Treasures Black Elite gives you 2miles per $1 on airfare and travel-realted charges? Additionally, as you mentioned, Maybank gives 10x points (= 4miles) per $1 for EZLink topup and those Reward Infinite partners (Jack's Place, Ding Tai Fong, Crystal Jade, etc).

So the question is, why would I need to do away with the Maybank Horizon card (or not to apply for one) and opt for the DBS Treasures Black Elite card only? It would seems to me if DBS Treasures Black card offers more than what Maybank Horizon card does, then I can undestand there is no need to go for (or maintain) Maybank Horizons card.

On a seperate note, DBS charges an annual fee for transfer to FFP. Travel agents also charges more fee for using Amex vs VISA/MC. Overall, IMHO the Maybank Horizon card is still a must to have.

As for local charges, I still rate Citibank PremireMiles VISA a must have over DBS Altitute Amex card (for reasons I have posted earlier).

You lost me here, what exactly is wrong? I gave you the link, it's all there.

1.2 miles per $ for local spend, DOUBLE (2.4) miles for overseas spend.

For air tickets the Maybank card is very good. 2 miles to the Dollar. And 4 miles for Crystal Jade where I leave more money than any other restaurant. Now I don't spend that much on air tickets compared to other annual spend to get a card just for this (I happen to REDEEM a lot of free tickets :) ), but the 4 miles/$ for CJ would be very handy for me.

When it comes to overseas spend, the Maybank continues to give 2 miles/$ but as mentioned the DBS Treasures Black Elite gives you 2.4 miles/$.

Citi PM is useful if you spend under 2-2.5k SGD on your card per month. That's about it.

demue Mar 18, 2012 1:27 am

does Maybank have an offer where they wave the annual fee at least for the first year or so? I think I read that they will do so if you spent 12K SGD on the card annually which won't be a problem, but I was just wondering if it can be had with an initial waiver?

chrisksc Mar 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18216662)
You lost me here, what exactly is wrong?

Well, in your post, you had suggested to pogreen that:

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18216662)
...so no need to get the Maybank one as well.

So why is this so? Since Maybank Horizon Visa Platinum card has other high earning (ala Rewards Infinite) offers DBS Treasures Black Elite card does not, then the additions of the Maybank card would benefits rather than saying there is no need to get the Maybank card "as well".

chrisksc Mar 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 18222149)
does Maybank have an offer where they wave the annual fee at least for the first year or so? I think I read that they will do so if you spent 12K SGD on the card annually which won't be a problem, but I was just wondering if it can be had with an initial waiver?

When Maybank first introduce the Horizon Visa platinum card years back, they had at that time when applying offer for all their credit cards a 10-year annual fee-free. I am in on that.

My colleague has just applied for the Horizon card and I believe she was given first 3 years annual fee-free.

aster Mar 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by chrisksc (Post 18227567)
So why is this so? Since Maybank Horizon Visa Platinum card has other high earning (ala Rewards Infinite) offers DBS Treasures Black Elite card does not, then the additions of the Maybank card would benefits rather than saying there is no need to get the Maybank card "as well".

A large part of the discussion was about the best card to use abroad. Someone mentioned the Maybank card and the Treasures Amex. If you have the Treasures card, there is no need for the Maybank one, as both are good for use abroad, but the DBS one gives 2.4 miles/$ whereas the Maybank one gives just 2 miles.

Do you honestly think it's viable to have every single card out there in your pocket? Maybank might be the best card to use at Crystal Jade restaurants, but in the end that's not enough for me to put YET ANOTHER CARD in my wallet if you know what I mean. :)

chrisksc Mar 20, 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18234226)
Do you honestly think it's viable to have every single card out there in your pocket? Maybank might be the best card to use at Crystal Jade restaurants, but in the end that's not enough for me to put YET ANOTHER CARD in my wallet if you know what I mean. :)

Obviously it is not viable for most people to have EVERY single cards out there but then honestly, you must admit, the Maybank Horizons Platinum Visa card is a card that one SHOULD have in additions.

If I were to give the advise, I would have suggested having both cards instead of just one over the other.

I also wanted to point out that, especially going overseas, Visa is more widely accepted than Amex (and not to mention fee charged by certain merchants). So if you only have the DBS Amex and the merchant only accept Visa/MC, then what use will the higher earning rate be??

So my point is, it is not just a simple which gives you better earning rate.

aster Mar 20, 2012 4:35 am

Well I can't admit to the Maybank one being "must have" as I haven't felt the need to apply for one myself, but I do consider it to be very, very good and it would definitely be one I'd consider if I was to get further CCs.

With DBS Treasures giving 20% more miles abroad than the Maybank one I think I'll take my chances with the odd merchant having an issue with accepting Amex over VC/MC. To be honest I don't use my cards overseas anyway as the exchange rates are dreadful...

Even when it comes to plane tickets, if I spend say $4,000 annually on flights then the difference between my Altitude card and the Maybank one would be just 1,600 miles. I didn't bother getting the KrisFlyer Amex for this either...

A card really needs to be a game-changer for me in order for it to be added to my already bulging wallet (from containing too many cards, not banknotes!). The Maybank Horizon card is certainly close, and is much easier to get for most people than the Treasures card at DBS, which I don't even have as I stick to the Altitude one (best overall for spend in Singapore).

I think the Citi Platinum card was a game-changer (due to extra miles for supermarket and department store spend), but they pulled it off the market and no longer offer it.

aster Mar 20, 2012 4:36 am

I'm curious as to the procedure for cancelling cards in Singapore. Do you have to write a physical letter of resignation, visit the branch, etc. Or do you just call and tell the phone support person that you want to cancel and that's it?

percysmith Mar 20, 2012 5:03 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18235334)
A card really needs to be a game-changer for me in order for it to be added to my already bulging wallet (from containing too many cards, not banknotes!). The Maybank Horizon card is certainly close, and is much easier to get for most people than the Treasures card at DBS, which I don't even have as I stick to the Altitude one (best overall for spend in Singapore).

Same problem with me here in HK...I put about 4 or 5 cards in my wallet; the remaining ~16 cards go in a second sports wallet which go in my briefcase or man-bag.

aster Mar 20, 2012 5:34 am

I recently spent like 45 mins at Tangs looking through every single wallet type and model that they sell, hoping to find "the one" that takes the most cards. Finally succeeded with one that takes 10 cards in the first section (5 on each side) with room for 2-3 more when I flip to the next part that also has a coins area.

But as you mentioned, it's still necessary to have a separate wallet just for cards, at least the less popular ones.

As far as cancelling cards goes, I'm curious as to how much of a pain it is as there is another way with most banks in Singapore - just change your address in e-banking to a PO Box (or foreign one). You'll instantly receive an email that you need to revert to a Singapore residential address in X days or else they will cancel your card. :)

Awesom Andy Mar 20, 2012 7:03 am

To cancel a card, it's quite painless if you walk into a branch. I simply walk in, hand it over, and ask them to cut it up. That's pretty much the end of it. Haven't tried doing it any other means though.

tycosiao Mar 20, 2012 7:29 am

I usually cancel mine via a phone call.

percysmith Mar 20, 2012 7:44 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My Nike sports wallet can take 5 cards each in its larger pockets, and there're 4 of them. And there're smaller pockets besides the big one too. I stuff all my various membership and discount cards in them.

But the second wallet isn't on me all the time so I do have to be picky what goes into the first wallet. Cards with dining or supermarket promo at the time usually goes in. Different cards for weekend and weekday spending too.

enelym1978 Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm

After spending nearly 7 months here in Singapore and looking at my spending pattern, I am rethinking a bit my options... not that I have tons of CC at the moment anyway haha.

Here is what I have and what I do with them:

- AmEx KF Gold: main card. I basically charge everything on there as long as the merchant takes AmEx
- UOB Visa One: back up card, used only with merchants who don't take AmEx.

I charge roughly $1500-2500 each month on both cards (combined) with quite some overseas charges too. I travel at least twice a month but do not get to use my AmEx to book my SQ flights as they are done through company TA.

Now... I am reconsidering my VISA... I want to cancel it and take the Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa instead. Just because it will give me some miles as well. I tried the Citi PM but got denied... never knew why...

I also want one MasterCard (for discount reasons, special deals with MC only, such as Starwood specials) and I would go for the UOB Preferred World MC...

The MC doesn't really matter, as I would just "need" it for specific cases.

But I think the Maybank Visa would be good enough for me as secondary card.

Any thoughts? Oh and obviously, my main goal is to maximize KF miles, without going all crazy with cards though. I don't want more than one AX, one VA and one MC. I have enough stuff in my wallet already :D

SQueeze Mar 23, 2012 1:31 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978 (Post 18255223)
After spending nearly 7 months here in Singapore and looking at my spending pattern, I am rethinking a bit my options... not that I have tons of CC at the moment anyway haha.

Here is what I have and what I do with them:

- AmEx KF Gold: main card. I basically charge everything on there as long as the merchant takes AmEx
- UOB Visa One: back up card, used only with merchants who don't take AmEx.

I charge roughly $1500-2500 each month on both cards (combined) with quite some overseas charges too. I travel at least twice a month but do not get to use my AmEx to book my SQ flights as they are done through company TA.

Now... I am reconsidering my VISA... I want to cancel it and take the Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa instead. Just because it will give me some miles as well. I tried the Citi PM but got denied... never knew why...

I also want one MasterCard (for discount reasons, special deals with MC only, such as Starwood specials) and I would go for the UOB Preferred World MC...

The MC doesn't really matter, as I would just "need" it for specific cases.

But I think the Maybank Visa would be good enough for me as secondary card.

Any thoughts? Oh and obviously, my main goal is to maximize KF miles, without going all crazy with cards though. I don't want more than one AX, one VA and one MC. I have enough stuff in my wallet already :D

Oh. You are doing all wrong. You have to dump your KF Gold straight away. It's one of the worst out there . Same with any UOB cards.

Keep only the following:

Amex: DBS Altitude for all local spending only (1:1.2 miles). Become 1.6 miles after 2,000.

Visa: Maybank Horizon for all overseas spend (1:2 miles), 1:4 miles at selected merchants and ez-link top up and ezlink is useful for taxis and groceries. My taxi fare this morning already gave me 150 miles one way.

Visa: CitiPM for all local spend not accepting Amex (1:1.2 miles) - you should apply again, I can't think of a better alternative for non-Amex accepting local spend

MC: I use Citi Rewards for shopping of clothes, shoes, and bags only (1:4 miles). Not useful for other things.

I have a few others that give me 4 miles/dollar for specific purchases and merchant types but I guess you don't want too many cards. So the 4 I mentioned above are the most basic.

All of them give at least 2x more than the KF Gold which I believe give you 0.625 miles or so.

cmdsea Mar 23, 2012 1:51 am

When I looked at the Maybank card they wanted S$150 for the first year and gave no incentives for the fee so that was a non starter.

The new DBS Altitude Visa is free for the first year (and free in following years for >S$25k spend or comes with 10,000 bonus miles if you pay the renewal..) and gets 1.2miles per S$1 spent and 1.6miles above the first S$2k spent every month.

Comes with priority pass lounge access and there is 8,000 bonus miles if you are amongst the first 500 to charge S$8k before 30th June...

SQueeze Mar 23, 2012 5:02 am

If there is a lot of overseas spending, the maybank card is still the card to have even with a fee. Nothing comes close to what they give. I don't recall paying any fees ever though - or do they have a minimum spend for the fee waiver.

In most cards in Singapore, fee waiver is anyway quite easily granted with a simple call.

aster Mar 23, 2012 9:52 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 18255839)
The new DBS Altitude Visa is...

Is there something new coming out or is that a typo with Amex changed to Visa?

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 18256292)
If there is a lot of overseas spending, the maybank card is still the card to have even with a fee. Nothing comes close to what they give.

Well, the DBS Treasures card gives 20% more miles for overseas spend. But it is a lot harder to get due to the criteria.

Awesom Andy Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18257591)
Is there something new coming out or is that a typo with Amex changed to Visa?

The Altitude is being launched as a new Visa Signature card. Invitations have been sent out to some people. Points earned and bonuses are very similar to the Amex version. I just sent off my application, and will see how that goes.

eriond Mar 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18257774)
The Altitude is being launched as a new Visa Signature card. Invitations have been sent out to some people. Points earned and bonuses are very similar to the Amex version. I just sent off my application, and will see how that goes.

Just checked with my RM and can confirm that the Visa Signature card is indeed being launched. The Amex version will not be discontinued. Points earned are exactly the same on both cards. 1.2/$ for first $2k, 1.6/$ for $2k onwards. I was hoping that Amex would give more points, but apparently not.

percysmith Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by eriond

Just checked with my RM and can confirm that the Visa Signature card is indeed being launched. The Amex version will not be discontinued. Points earned are exactly the same on both cards. 1.2/$ for first $2k, 1.6/$ for $2k onwards. I was hoping that Amex would give more points, but apparently not.

Well partial consolation for late kick-in of the S$1.6 rate (after S$2k instead of S$1k) . I still think it's net loss for the DBS altitude cardholders cos moving non-AE transactions fron Citi PM to DBS Alttude VS means more transaction count --> more rounding down to nearest S$5.

Sigh...we worry about our non-Amex AE in Hong Kong too...seems like Amex is determined to squeeze the non-Amex AE issuers out of business and re-monopolise the AE network.

enelym1978 Mar 25, 2012 7:40 pm

This new DBS Altitude VISA is quite interesting actually... As said earlier, I'm not a crazy-run-after-max-miles person and I just want to maximize as good as I can my earning rates without having to carry a suitcase full of credit cards with me :D

So basically I should cancel my AmEx KF for sure and also my UOB Visa and replace both of them with this new DBS Altitude Visa (let's see when they will make this card public).

$2000 per month should be achievable for me if I consolidate everything on one card only.

aster Mar 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Interesting, I never got an invite. Are the conditions different than for the Amex card, or are they only offering it to non-Altitude Amex cardholders? :)

I thought the whole reason why they could give the most miles was attributed to getting a bigger cut out of Amex transactions? So what now with the Visa card, offer same miles at first and then cut down on the Visa version?

Awesom Andy Mar 26, 2012 3:44 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18273569)
Interesting, I never got an invite. Are the conditions different than for the Amex card, or are they only offering it to non-Altitude Amex cardholders? :)

The conditions appear to be the same as the Amex card, although I don't hold it at the moment so that's probably why they sent me the invite.

aster Mar 28, 2012 8:42 am

Andy, what about the other conditions of the card, namely the insurance that's included when you buy tickets using the Visa version? Is it the same?

lokijuh Mar 28, 2012 10:36 am

PPS Club Amex seems to have lost it's shine (i.e. its one and only redeeming feature) : No mention on the website of any more of 50%/up to 35,000 miles off redemption voucher. Usually get this sometime during March, nothing has come yet, and mention of it has disappeared from the website.

Awesom Andy Mar 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18288781)
Andy, what about the other conditions of the card, namely the insurance that's included when you buy tickets using the Visa version? Is it the same?

The flyer is rather short on details, as points accruals was the main advertising weapon. Plus the fact that I don't have the flyer with me in SYD. :(

However, as a guess, I would think that the Amex-related specials (e.g. 5x points on weekends, and Amex Selects discounts) would not apply to the Visa version of the card.

I'm hoping that the card would be waiting for me in the mailbox when I get back to SIN early next month, and I'll update with full details (if I receive them).

aster Mar 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Does anyone have 2 different credit cards with DBS (not counting supplementary cards)? I'm curious how they would go about my limit with them if I got an Altitude Visa to complement my Amex one. Would they share the same limit, or would they halve my current limit and split them between the cards?

Mickey4finger Mar 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18306575)
Does anyone have 2 different credit cards with DBS (not counting supplementary cards)? I'm curious how they would go about my limit with them if I got an Altitude Visa to complement my Amex one. Would they share the same limit, or would they halve my current limit and split them between the cards?

share the limit

aster Mar 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks, I currently pay for a serviced apartment using my Amex card, so if they halved my limits between the two cards then I would no longer be able to use either of them to do that. So I really need to have one, common limit across all my cards.

cmdsea Apr 2, 2012 2:51 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18288781)

My card arrived in today's post. The blurb that came with it states as follows..

S$1 Million Travel insurance "Enjoy complete peace of mind with travel insurance cover of up to S$1 Million for your familly and you when you charge the full travel fare to your DBS Altitude card".

Cant find any other info about the insurance in the card agreement. The back of the wallet it came in states "For more information on your DBS Altitude Visa Signature Card and its privileges visit www.dbs.com/sg/altitudevisa" A link that doesnt work... :rolleyes:

SingaporeDon Apr 2, 2012 8:10 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18306745)
Thanks, I currently pay for a serviced apartment using my Amex card, so if they halved my limits between the two cards then I would no longer be able to use either of them to do that. So I really need to have one, common limit across all my cards.

I think you can top up the credit card limit with cash prior to paying your monthly service apartment rental on the card, and thereby overcome the limit issue

hclee01 Apr 3, 2012 10:22 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 18317922)
My card arrived in today's post.

How does the card look like? Similar to the AMEX version?