Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:44 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I have to stay at this hotel a few times a year for a conference.
-Grossly overpriced.
-Little to no Platinum recognition.
-Attrocious HVAC (unbearably hot in the winter and like a freezer in the summer) with no individual room control.
-Extremely dated furnishings.
-Resort fee.
-Very rude front desk staff.

There are so many better options at lower prices in Manhattan. This hotel saw its best days about 20 years ago and is living in the past.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Love the property and the brand but agree with others and hate the HVAC.
And the AC in summer is weak, at best. I'll stay in winter when I can crank open the window but refuse to stay in the summer. If they'd fix it, it'd be my #1 choice in NYC.

The Sheraton Times Square is okay in winter. Heat is good and windows open a bit. Won't stay in the summer. AC is weak and sun beats in through huge windows.

If you want great HVAC and windows that open, it's the Westin Times Square. Wish it was better located.
Better located? That doesn't make sense to me considering the location of the property. Right on top of a subway station/Port Authority and one block from Times Square and it's transit options.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Staying here on points this weekend - one night - got the offer to pay for upgrade to Park view ($49) or suite ($79).
I'm only Gold but an SVN owner - any chance of an upgrade at check-in? For one night, I'm not very tempted to pay for an upgrade, even at these prices, but I definitely won't if odds are I can get a free one.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Originally Posted by lskohn
Staying here on points this weekend - one night - got the offer to pay for upgrade to Park view ($49) or suite ($79).
I'm only Gold but an SVN owner - any chance of an upgrade at check-in? For one night, I'm not very tempted to pay for an upgrade, even at these prices, but I definitely won't if odds are I can get a free one.
I wouldn't count on anything as a Gold. This property has a terrible reputation for upgrades - as a Plat my experience here has been very poor for upgrades.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:42 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Anyone knows what the difference is between Superior and Standard room?

The description of the room are the same and both are base level rooms at 20k points, but superior seems to be a lower category room in terms of price?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
I wouldn't count on anything as a Gold. This property has a terrible reputation for upgrades - as a Plat my experience here has been very poor for upgrades.
And to finish out the exchange -I did get a free upgrade as a Gold. Not a great one - just to a [partial] "Park view" on 26th floor, but for one night, that was fine. Probably more likely because it was a Saturday night, 2nd night of Passover, which cut down on high-status events in/near the hotel. No lessons learned, just a lucky guess this time.

Front desk, housekeeping and concierge staff were all terrific.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The new Indian restaurant in the PM, Indian Accent, received a good review from Pete Wells of the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/25/di...ollection&_r=0

http://www.indianaccent.com/newyork/index.html
Old May 27, 2016, 7:37 pm

So surprised this is a Cat 6 hotel given how outdated it is. Yes, great location, but..
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Wow...where have they been hiding this hotel???

Le Parker Meridien New York

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

119 W. 56th Street New York, NY US 10019

Wow...where have they been hiding this hotel??? (0 Photo)

We stayed at LePM for 2 nights earlier this month.  Booking was on points, Cat 6 (20,000/night). 

I got to the hotel at 9am, without having called ahead, and asked if they could give me a room on the spot.  The desk rep was very good: he said that if he gave me a room then, it would be a smaller room (and on a lower floor) than what I had been blocked for later.  Since I didn't need the room then, I left bags with the bell staff and went out.  (They offered to call when it was ready - but since my schedule wasn't flexible, I didn't bother.)

When we got back (5pm), we were given a room on the lowest floor of the highrise elevator bank, which makes for quick to/from elevator access.  The room (2325) had partial park view from the western half of the windows (a building on Central Park South blocked the middle of the view, and another on 57th street blocked the east view).  Good thing the desk staff was on their game, or we'd have missed out on the view!

The room was HUGE by NYC standards:  in addition to a king bed and a work surface at the window, there was a single casual chair and the luggage rack had a carpeted seat that would have made do (had we actually put away our rollaboards).  There was an open area that was probably 7' long before the bed -- big enough for my wife to do yoga without coming close to the bed or the wall on any side; it almost felt like it was missing a sofa & coffee table!

Bathroom was typical - but well designed.  A small shelf 1 foot above the (larger than usual) sink counter made a place for the toiletries, freeing up counter space for your stuff.  Towel rods above the sink counter got the washcloths off the counter too.  Good use of tight space.  Standard towel setup was 4 bath, 4 hand & 3 washcloth - so no need to call for extras. 

King bed was comfortable & firm.  Bedding was typical - a duvet that's too warm for summer, but no good alternative (so we cranked the air to cool the room...).  Hotel pillows are always a problem for me, and these were just like all others: they flatten out too much.  I need good memory foam pillows, and hotels don't stock them.  Oh well...

Wifi worked well, which it had better with the $15/day facility fee.  (An annoyance, but it was reimbursed so I'm not getting worked up...)  In-room outlets were a bit limited: they were hidden behind the nighttables, which was inconvenient.  One good design feature of the nighttables: the drawer does not have a side wall on the bed side, so you can put things in it and access them more easily while lying in bed.  Since the surface is limited, and largely consumed by the phone, that helped. 

Common spaces are beautiful.  The lobby bar is classic, and the other areas are ultra-modern; a bit of a clash, but no big deal.  We didn't use the gym or the pool. 

At morning rush hour, the doorman had 2 cabs standing by right at 9am -- that's quite a feat, especially for a mid-block location (nobody cruises past them). 

One negative:  at about 10:30pm one night I asked at the desk for a large FedEx box to ship some things back to my office.  They said that they didn't have one in the house, and I needed to walk to the FedEx store at CPS/Bway (0.3 miles, roughly) to get one.  IMO, even a 4-star hotel needs to stock that kind of thing for guests. 

All in all, I was extremely impressed.  Most of my NYC travel puts me in the East 40s, so I usually stay at the Westin Grand Central; Le Parker Meridien beats both the NYC Westins hands down. 

Wow...where have they been hiding this hotel???

Would you like to write a review on the Le Parker Meridien New York?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I always stay at Sheraton, after years of trying W, Westin, even 4 Points and Element. As a Lifetime Plat, I thought this might be a good property for upgrades. But after reading the past few pages of posts, I'm guessing that isn't going to happen. Has ANYONE received upgrades to suites here?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I always stay at Sheraton, after years of trying W, Westin, even 4 Points and Element. As a Lifetime Plat, I thought this might be a good property for upgrades. But after reading the past few pages of posts, I'm guessing that isn't going to happen. Has ANYONE received upgrades to suites here?
I stay here quite a bit and get an upgrade to a junior suite about 90% of the time as a platinum. The junior suites are quite large for a NY hotel and have a sitting area.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the hotel still offer free gym and aerobics classes to guests? Does Mrs. Parker still live on the 40th floor here?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:44 pm

Hi - Is there any place close (up to a block away) by where parking is less than the $54 charged by the hotel? We're driving in but will mainly be using public transportation once we are in town.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:05 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
This is what we use to find better parking rates in NYC: http://nyc.bestparking.com/
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
This is what we use to find better parking rates in NYC: http://nyc.bestparking.com/
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.