FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/816095-le-parker-meridien-new-york-city-master-thread-leaving-jan-4-2018-a.html)

itsaboutthejourney Dec 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Very good stay. Noticed I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite before arrival by looking on spg.com. Late checkout request honored no problem.

Jr. Suite has the TV unit that sort of divides the room and turns towards the couch in the sitting area or the bedroom.

Free access to Gravity gym, which is a very good hotel gym, it's also a gym for locals so there are a lot of classes and amenities.

The Hamburger stand is great. ^

Overall, the hotel is a bit dated in some areas, but they provide solid service and the touches of humor are a welcome change from so many business hotels.

CIT85 Jan 1, 2009 9:35 am

LEM at Le Parker Meridien

I just came back from a 2 night stay at Le Parker Meridien using my LEM certificates. After the various complications in making my reservation, and with my online reservation showing rack rate of $999 per night, I had no problem checking in. The front desk agent informed me that my 2 night stay has been taken care of and the check in confirmation I signed had a rate of $369 per night. Check out was also very straight forward, without any room charges.

I was pre-assigned a junior suite on the 11th floor facing 56th St and Starbucks across the street. The room had a rotating TV between the sitting area and the bedroom.

Everyone I encountered at the hotel was very nice, except for a French female concierge who was not particularly helpful when I asked about best way to drive out of Manhattan to NJ Turnpike on morning of Dec. 31. Considering that it took me 2-1/2 hours to get through Holland Tunnel on Sunday night, I was not about to get stuck going out due to New Year's Eve barricades.

There were probably more French tourists in the hotel than Americans during my stay. Street noise is also quite loud and takes a bit getting used to.

Somewhere Over the Atlantic Jan 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Any recent Plat experiences?

Since the property raised its participation in the SPG program, have any of the Plats out there had positive or negative experiences w/ upgrades?

CIT85 Jan 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic (Post 11135545)
Since the property raised its participation in the SPG program, have any of the Plats out there had positive or negative experiences w/ upgrades?

I was upgraded to junior suite at LPM New York before New Year's eve on a 2-day award stay.

woolfcross Jan 26, 2009 3:56 pm

No upgrade for this Platinum on a one-night stay in December. But a gold member checking in next to me was given an upgrade--as I learned on an elevator ride with him afterward.

Love the location of this hotel (I always try to stay on the Upper West Side), but there were an awful lot of downsides: check-in took over 20 minutes; front desk person checking me in did not offer Platinum amenity and looked rather cranky when I asked, politely, for it; card key did not work when I got to the door. Front desk told me to return-no offer to have anyone come up to help. So I had to wait ANOTHER twenty minutes in line to get new card key (not wanting to jump the line--everyone was in NYC "feeding frenzy" mode) --no fun after a long trans-con trip.

Room was at best okay--very basic. No way to regulate, or even turn off, heat--room was a steam bath! Windows were filthy--and I'm not someone who notices these things. But when I could barely see the building across the street, I knew something was wrong!

Some business associates came to meet me at Seppis for drinks on Saturday afternoon. A loud jazz combo was playing, so we asked to be at one of the tables at the far end of the bar; the hostess graciously accommodated us. The tables were set with linens and dinnerware, but they were NOT in the dining room proper. But when the waiter came over and heard that we were only ordering drinks, not food, he was very nasty and upset: "I've TOLD her not to do this!!" and went off grumbling. As it turned out, no one else came to sit in our section (at the relatively dead hour of 3-5 p.m) so he lost no "food" business. Indeed, we ended up ordering about $70 of wine by the glass (Seppis ain't cheap) and gave him a commensurate tip, so he did rather well. Still, his open rudeness was embarrassing, to say the least, in front of my colleagues--and very much not something I expect from a first-class hotel.

All in all, not a great first experience. I return to NYC this coming weekend on the very nice stay-two-nights-get-the-third-one-free promo. The difference between the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers (the other almost-Upper West Side hotel) and LPM was only $150 for all three nights, but I went for the Sheraton. Just not worth it--and that's saying an awful lot, given the difference between the two brands.

gottigotti Jan 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Stayed here 1 night two weeks ago. Check in was easy, and upgraded to a junior suite. Plat recognition upon check-in. no one was in line ahead of me so quick check-in. I did notice that the temp control in the room is a little poor. I ended up cracking my window to let it cool down.

EleanorMcDaniel Jan 29, 2009 6:59 pm

I just finished a two night stay at Le Parker Meridien New York City.

As an SPG PLT I was upgraded to a two room suite, as described earlier in this thread. I was asked about the PLT amenity at check in, had no line, and was very pleased about the room and service. (Next time, I might ask for a suite facing Central Park instead of the south facing room I had, but that's no big deal).

I had two awesome breakfasts at Normas, and overall, was quite happy with this hotel.

Note that a web reservation dropped from $1000 to $275 with an AAA rate, and they never ask for your card. (Yes, of course, I am an AAA member.)

I like this location very well, and have already booked a return stay.

njwoods13 Feb 20, 2009 12:41 pm

We stayed in the Parker Meridian about 10 days ago having reserved through priceline. As a SPG courtesy we did get a nice upgrade to upper floor with view

mktozd Mar 9, 2009 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 10869175)
Yes, Starwood Lurker announced the good news a month back. Thus, we have fresh interest in both the Palm Springs and New York properties.

I have stayed at Le Parker Meridian in New York several times now and found it to be one of my favorite Starwood properties in midtown, vastly superior to any of the Sheratons. Burger Joint is fun at night

rmtrack Mar 9, 2009 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 11292696)
Anyone?

Stayed there as a Plat in Dec 08 and was upgraded to a small suite. I like the hotel. It has, of course, a very European feel to it. Great bistro for dinner and the best breakfast in town.

stevens397 Mar 9, 2009 8:07 pm

My business partner and I (both Platinums) are using our free Platinum gift nights there in June. That was only made possible when it was lowered to Cat 5.

Looking forward to it.

gleff Mar 9, 2009 8:23 pm

I'll be using my Platinum gift night here as well. :)

sbtinme Mar 9, 2009 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 11388204)
I'll be using my Platinum gift night here as well. :)

As shall I, next month!^:-:;):cool:

Norton26 Mar 10, 2009 3:10 pm

I am staying there end of March... have two room booked on SW points... They just lowered requirements from 20,000 to 13,000 pn.

thepointsguy Mar 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Norton26 (Post 11393016)
I am staying there end of March... have two room booked on SW points... They just lowered requirements from 20,000 to 13,000 pn.

13,000? What redemption level is that? Cat 5.25? ;)