Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having trouble with miles posting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else having trouble with miles posting?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
Question Anyone else having trouble with miles posting?

It seems every since the Aug typhoon, my miles don't automatically post anymore. I'm sure that the typhoon is an unrelated item, it's just the significant event in my memory.

I'm getting really close to gold (already 90k+ BIS miles this year, but that is another story) and so I'd like my status to change within two weeks of crossing the line.

Can I submit for mileage credit within a week of my flight or do I have to wait for 6 weeks as suggest by the website?

And can I change my seat on-line once I am gold? I can't do that as silver (or maybe because I use Firefox??)

thanks
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Skillet
It seems every since the Aug typhoon, my miles don't automatically post anymore. I'm sure that the typhoon is an unrelated item, it's just the significant event in my memory.

Can I submit for mileage credit within a week of my flight or do I have to wait for 6 weeks as suggest by the website?
My miles also stopped posting automatically a couple of months ago. I found that the reason is that my tickets and my MPC account don't show exactly the same names: my MPC account shows my first name in full, and my tickets just show a first initial. MPC have told me that there needs to be a complete match, and that without this points will not credit. There has apparently been a change to their system recently which causes this - I never had this problem earlier.

You certainly don't need to wait for 6 weeks to submit a mileage credit. The minimum period before the web-site will allow you to submit a credit is, I think, 7 days. My online credit requests have all been rejected online after a few days, but as soon as this appears, I have called up MPC, explained the situation, and they have corrected it whilst I was on the phone.

Last edited by eutow; Oct 18, 2006 at 8:32 pm Reason: accuracy
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by eutow
my tickets just show a first initial.
Really? I'm amazed by that given the stress these days on having tickets which match exactly the name in the passport...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

I bet the name mismatch is the reason. I have a very common surname and so I always add my middle intial to my tickets. On my boarding pass this adds an "R" to the end of my first name creating an odd but plausible new name.

I mailed in my request (3 LAX-HKG roundtrips) because to credit for the Aug typhoon chaos post was recommended. Didn't have any difficulty in getting approval, it's just a pain.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by christep
Really? I'm amazed by that given the stress these days on having tickets which match exactly the name in the passport...
Yes. None of my tickets has ever had my name shown exactly as in my passport, but this hasn't caused me any stress.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Skillet
I mailed in my request (3 LAX-HKG roundtrips) because to credit for the Aug typhoon chaos post was recommended. Didn't have any difficulty in getting approval, it's just a pain.
I absolutely agree - it's a real nuisance getting it done. At least CX are more efficient about this than SQ (I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to make a comparison to SQ on this board) - getting corrections made with SQ takes months.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:49 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
Funny enough, since August - whenever I take a CX flight, and put my Qantas number on the booking - they make a big thing that although;

My name on the passport is the same as
my name on the ticket which is the same as
my name on my Qantas card

the name they have in their records with Qantas (a short form of my first name - eg Web instead of Webster) does not match and I may have problems getting miles.

The miles always post BUT the emerald part on the boarding card is missing - whereas my gf emerald always shows.

At least it means I can continue reading the newspaper while she has the purser introduce themselves and thanks her for always choosing to fly OW etc.

Although I appreciate the crew going out their way to say hello - she always finds this an awkward moment - and would prefer to avoid it
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:07 am

I find CX flights are never a problem if everything is done properly.

However, VN is another story.

I did 16 VN sectors this month, and none of them posted despite my TA swearing that my MPO details were entered correctly. It takes months for MPO to post the miles retroactively as well as a lot of trouble for me faxing all the tickets and BPs.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Just received an email from Marco Polo club and the following was noted in the email:

Make sure your membership profile, ticket and passport names match

Name and identity checks are a common security requirement at airports around the world. Our new crediting procedure, in accordance with these measures, will also require the names on your passport, membership profile and tickets to exactly match.

Here's an example. Let's say the name on your passport is 'Smith Alex Paul':
Profile name | Ticket name | Eligibility for mileage credit
Smith Alex Paul | Smith Alex Paul | Yes
Smith Alex Paul | Smith Paul | No
Smith P | Smith Alex Paul | No

To ensure that you don't miss out on any mileage credits in the future, we suggest that you follow these three simple steps:
Log on to your Marco Polo Club account to check if your membership profile name exactly matches your passport name.
If the names don't match, fax a photocopy of your passport to us on +852 2537 9900 and we'll amend your profile name accordingly.
Remember to use your passport name on all flight reservations.
Sorry - Couldn't get the columns to align in the table above, but you get the idea.

Evidently this has become a problem in recent months and there was a need for a general statement. I think it's a little annoying though that CX decides to crack down without giving members prior notice.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

I have just been claiming on-line. It's a 3 day turn, max, and have not been rejected yet.

Only 500 more miles to Gold.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Curiously, as far as I know, none of the terrorist incidents which led to these irritating "security" measures has ever involved anyone using a false identity. This use of "security" as a justification for all sorts of other things (some of which are revenue protection and some of which are straight control freakery) is getting out of hand.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAdvatage Executive Platinum / Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Green
A couple of weeks ago MPO asked me to update my profile with my full name - unfortunately as I've got 2 middle names, MPO can't fit the whole name into their system. I hope I don't stuck with this name matching issue permenantly
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
I've flown on KA recently. How long does it usually take for the KA miles to post in Marco Polo/Asia Miles?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 7:25 am

a few days at most.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Miles now posting

Since January, my miles have been posting automatically despite the name mismatch between my ticket and MPC account. Has this been fixed?

It seems I received the "Alex Paul Smith" explanation only ~6 weeks ago and now the system seems to function without the exact name match.

Anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.