Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Have any Star Gold's ever been UG'd on SQ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond

I hate starting a new thread but it would be interesting to get some feedback from Star Gold's who have been upgraded on SQ. Thank you.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:07 pm

It doesn't take Star Gold to get upgraded sometimes.

My travelling partner was UG from J-F on I Class redemption SYD-SIN. She was Star Zip then. Star Zip in I. It don't get lower than that.

Suitably impressed with SQ, she's made it a point to fly SQ more and is now QPP1 and LH FTL. Damn these loyalty programs!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
How'd your friend get it? Was it overbooked? I'd LOVE to know.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 3:26 am

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
Hi,

As a KF *G I have been op up on MAN-SIN for a flight on 26th Dec from Y to J. Flight was full: they tried to persuade me to go on Christmas day via LHR in F!

But for the family I would have been on it.... Even at check in they were sending people to LHR, I did ask if they would do this for me with the F offer, but F was full!

It does happen...not vey often though. I used to get about 1 in 4 LH flights within Europe upgraded but recently this seems to have stopped . Maybe it is the cheapo tickets I keep buying.

Cheers
Clowesy
Old Nov 6, 2005, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by globetrekker84
How'd your friend get it? Was it overbooked? I'd LOVE to know.
Yes. It was fairly overbooked. 4 lucky pax got onto J, 2 of us up to F.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:37 am

Programs: SQ G, Hyatt D, Shangri-La G, Hilton G, Marriott G, IC PrCl G
Yep, it happens...

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
...feedback from Star Gold's who have been upgraded on SQ...
Four times in the last 14 months (Y - J): twice on MEL-SIN, once TPE - SIN and once BKK - SIN. In all cases Y was overbooked, afaik.

Y - F: A couple times in '05, but then again, since this was SIN-KUL I guess it barely counts?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Zip for this multi-*G.

Any suggestions on whether the LH *G or UA *G would be better for op-ups?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LightSpeed
Four times in the last 14 months (Y - J): twice on MEL-SIN, once TPE - SIN and once BKK - SIN. In all cases Y was overbooked, afaik.

Y - F: A couple times in '05, but then again, since this was SIN-KUL I guess it barely counts?
What type of a fare were you on? When checking in did you present SQ with your status ? Did you inquire about an UG at check in ?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:24 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Did you inquire about an UG at check in ?
I think this is a no no to do on SQ flight. Inquiring an op-up is a negative words on SQ. Well, I have no experience, zero op-up. So may be I am not correct in this matter.

Originally Posted by qasr
Zip for this multi-*G.

Any suggestions on whether the LH *G or UA *G would be better for op-ups?
You are not alone. I am also LH*G and UA*G. Zero op-up record on SQ. (Note: I am not kidding. Even in a full J flight, I was not worthy enough for SQ to op-up me to F... nstead a lucky devil got it. )
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by CGK
...I am also LH*G and UA*G. Zero op-up record on SQ. (Note: I am not kidding. Even in a full J flight, I was not worthy enough for SQ to op-up me to F... nstead a lucky devil got it. )
That's remarkable because of your rank within KrisFlyer, CGK. The lucky devil must have had something like StarG's credentials.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:25 am

What type of a fare were you on? When checking in did you present SQ with your status ? Did you inquire about an UG at check in ?
I suspect that LightSpeed's status as Elite Gold helped a bit. That would trump other *G's in the op-up order. I recall Savage25 mentioning a similar experience (op-up as Elite Gold) back in the days when he was still among the *G plebes (plebes, that is, in the SQ scheme of things ).

I also suspect there would be no need to remind SQ of your status (as CGK cautioned). The op-up gods at SQ probably decide on op-ups based on the information in the PNRs, and the PNRs would already show your *G status if you gave your FFP at the time you booked. This aversion to granting op-ups to people who ask is, incidentally, one trait SQ shares with CX.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never once, not that I asked as I fear a giant foot would come out of the ceiling and squish me like a bug . I have had my coat taken, and have been given some "J"champagne in plastic cup though......
Old Nov 6, 2005, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jjpb3
The lucky devil must have had something like StarG's credentials.
CGK's credentials are IMHO more impressive as it was done in a far more rapid time. I think StarG agrees too TPP10's (no disrespect sir) - are common. TPP2 (which was what it was at the time) - is an eye popper.

This aversion to granting op-ups to people who ask is, incidentally, one trait SQ shares with CX.
I've found this to be more of a taboo subject with SQ than CX.

CX probably doles out more "free love" than SQ.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 4:58 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I suspect that LightSpeed's status as Elite Gold helped a bit. That would trump other *G's in the op-up order. I recall Savage25 mentioning a similar experience (op-up as Elite Gold) back in the days when he was still among the *G plebes (plebes, that is, in the SQ scheme of things ).
And as I've posted before, I've been upgraded as a KrisFlyer Elite Silver over other *Golds on the same flight, which leads me to believe that ES could be higher up than other *Golds in the pecking order.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: SQ G, Hyatt D, Shangri-La G, Hilton G, Marriott G, IC PrCl G
I can't recall what fare types exactly, though they weren't massively discounted. Yes, SQ status was presented as part of the booking and during checkin at the counter. No, I didn't ask for an upgrade; as others have pointed out here, that doesn't serve one very well on SQ... One thing to note is that I hadn't performed an internet check-in for any of these upgraded flights; I've been wondering if that might've helped in any way?

btw, am not sure if my being an ex-QPP was of any use in these cases? Does anyone know if SQ takes in passenger 'history' when making op-up decisions?

Last edited by LightSpeed; Nov 6, 2005 at 7:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.