Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internet access workstations in AF lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:57 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Internet access workstations in AF lounges

AF has replaced its HP workstations in the CDG 2F1 (at least) lounge with iMacs. I have never used iMacs in the past and had problems with several web sites this morning. Is it just me or are there some restrictions on the workstations, such as the opening of multiple windows, which prevented me from using my corporate e-mail ? In addition, there was a useful sign in English and French that mentioned that you had to type http:// before any web address, which seemed surprising to an IE user such as myself, but was quite necessary .

On the way back from BCN, the HP workstations in the AF lounge have been taken out and replaced with ... a sign stating that AF is currently switching Internet access provider.

By the way, no accessible Wifi in the BCN terminal except in the AF lounge (and other privileged locations, I suppose), where it is provided by a commercial provider (6.96 euros per 30mn ...)

Last edited by JOUY31; Feb 20, 2005 at 3:59 am
Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by JOUY31
AF has replaced its HP workstations in the CDG 2F1 (at least) lounge with iMacs. I have never used iMacs in the past and had problems with several web sites this morning. Is it just me or are there some restrictions on the workstations, such as the opening of multiple windows, which prevented me from using my corporate e-mail ?
Jouy, did you happen to notice what browser they were running on the Mac workstations? I mostly use Macs and the Apple Safari browser - some sites do not work correctly with this browser, especially sites with multiple windows and scripts which run those windows. Also, Safari has a built-in pop-up ad blocker which works really well but can sometimes interfere with the proper opening of windows on a given web-site (this happened on the AF web site for quite some time, by the way!).
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I am typing this on an ordinary Dell XP workstation at the AF lounge in GIG. FWIW.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:14 am

were the keyboards on the iMacs AZERTY or QWERTY?

As a touch typist, the AZERTY keyboards drive me nuts.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:57 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The one I used had an AZERTY keyboard.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:57 pm

Hi,

In the lounges in CDG I noticed sockets in the wall which allow you to connect a network cable to your portable PC. I had my PC and the cable during my last trip and tried to connect but could not. I asked the lounge staff. What I understood is that I need to have an account with a local ISP and connect through the public phone?? Is this accurate information??

The WiFi in the lounges totally impractical if you have to go to the Relay store and wait 15 minutes to pay for your card just to have a very quick use of the internet while in the lounge.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:07 am

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
As a Mac user for about 20 years, and without any problems with viruses, spywares and adwares I can only be pleased to see Apple entering the AF lounges.
For one that have only used Windows, there are a few differences. However, one would quickly appriciate the qualities of the Mac OS.
Despite the quality of Apple's web browser Safari, some sites, ironicly enough a number of French sites, creates problems for this browser. The new AF site is a good example. I find that using Netscape works well with these sites. Also OmniWeb which is based on Safari, but with many improvements and extra features is tackling most of these issues very well. Magazines such as MacWorld offer reviews on these different browser.
You can disengage pop-up blocking very easy if this is an issue (just pull down the menu under Safari).
I can't give any explanation to the request for the http:// before the web address. I know that some addresses can only be accessed when this part is put in.
I think you will be pleasant surprised with qualities of the Mac.

Concerning using WiFi in CDG, you don't need to purchase a card from Relay. Just turn on your computer, open the browser and you can sign on with your credit card right away. Or have an account with Orange set up ahead of time. Some sites like AF and SkyTeam are free to use.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
They are not using Safari, there is no menu, and you cannot turn off the popup blocker. Someone has written what must be the worst piece of software ever, using an embedded mozilla browser component that takes up the whole screen.

No new windows, no menus, no copy/paste, no switching keyboard layouts, it's a disaster. Give me Windows any day.

I finally got so disgusted that I turned the machine over, unplugged the ethernet cable, and plugged it into my laptop (only about 8cm long so I had to juggle). Unfortunately, they seem to be using MAC address authentication so that didn't work either.

Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I have never used iMacs in the past and had problems with several web sites this morning.
The arrivals lounge in 2C had two iMacs but I didnt try them. As far as accessing sites is concerned, there was a problem with opentransit and sprint that handles transatlantic traffic for some internet providers here in France (including mine). It started on the 19th and was resolved on the 21st. It made many US sites unreachable. Perhaps that was the problem.

Originally Posted by alanw
They are not using Safari, there is no menu, and you cannot turn off the popup blocker. Someone has written what must be the worst piece of software ever, using an embedded mozilla browser component that takes up the whole screen.

No new windows, no menus, no copy/paste, no switching keyboard layouts, it's a disaster. Give me Windows any day.
I cant believe they chose an embedded mozilla browser. What nonsense. No new windows, no menus, no copy/paste, no switching keyboard layouts are all due to the embedded browser rather than OS X so not sure how Windows would be any better?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club

No new windows, no menus, no copy/paste, no switching keyboard layouts, it's a disaster.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How typically French. While I love most of the French culture, their approach to information systems has an awful history. If it wasn't for the Internet forcing its way into France (France's IT people resisted the Internet very strongly), they would still be in the dark ages.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Well I suppose we shouldn't complain. It could be MiniTel.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:18 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
How typically French. While I love most of the French culture, their approach to information systems has an awful history. If it wasn't for the Internet forcing its way into France (France's IT people resisted the Internet very strongly), they would still be in the dark ages.
What nonsense! France had a pre-cursor to the Internet for some decades before the rest of the world in the form of the below mentioned minitel.

and BTW last time I checked Apple was 'proudly Californian'
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:44 pm

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
Originally Posted by SYDguy
What nonsense! France had a pre-cursor to the Internet for some decades before the rest of the world in the form of the below mentioned minitel.

and BTW last time I checked Apple was 'proudly Californian'
Couldn't agree more

MiniTel has (had?) some security advantages over the internet. If I remember correctly, it was the one issues against the Internet that came up in the french discussions.

Since I haven't seen the iMac at the lounges, it is not easy to comment on the issues with the browser. The Mac OS X is very solid (build on a UNIX platform).
Will be going in a couple a weeks to BOD, so I'll try to check them out. Any computer in the lounge in 2D? On my return flight, I have very little time in the 2C lounge.

Anyone that know more about this program with the iMac? Is it a test/ Or will be rolled out in all lounges?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Minitel was a heck of an accomplishment, but it never proliferated for good reasons. It was centrally controlled, took a lot of expensive labor to keep running and it wasn't completely standards-based.

As for the Internet, France was very heavily OSI biased, favoring protocols such as X.400 and X.500 over SMTP and DNS. Just about every step made by the IETF and those of us who favored IP in ETSI and the ITU during the 90's was rejected heavily by French delegations. They didn't even show up to the IETF til VoIP become serious. I lived through these wars and can cite loads of specific examples if you are really interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.