Search

No checked bags due to a strike

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2024, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
No checked bags due to a strike

This is a new one for me:

We’re really sorry to inform you that due to expected industrial action by ground handlers at Oslo airport, like other airlines on 27th May, we may not be able to accept checked baggage on your flight.As negotiations remain ongoing between trade unions and the ground handler, our teams will continue to monitor and seek clarification. Rest assured we will be in touch as soon as we have an update.

Please may we ask that, if possible, you travel with hand-baggage only to avoid any disruption to your journey.
What is the protocol here? Do you check your bag at LHR and then hope for the best? It might be loaded or I guess it might come a few days later?
Old May 26, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by c1223
This is a new one for me:

What is the protocol here? Do you check your bag at LHR and then hope for the best? It might be loaded or I guess it might come a few days later?
as they have said they will not be able to accept checked baggage then it would seem if nothing changes you will not be allowed to check in a bag for this flight.

If you are not able to fly hbo then it seems your journey may be disrupted (you msy be rebooked for a later date)
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Indeed, although no rebooking seems to be offered at the moment. So for a 1310 departure tomorrow you have to wonder at what point they will allow that to happen.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I think that's poor wording for "we'll let you check it in, but we won't load it"...
jerry a. laska, Ldnn1 and SxMan like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I think I would be planning to carry on whatever I was taking to OSL.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You don't say... However actually looking for some helpful advice as there's some of us who need to take a checked bag for various reasons including reasons that without said checked bag make the journey pointless. As mentioned, it's not something I've ever come across so I'm interested to know if anyone has actually come across this at any point.
Tack, ScruttonStreet and the810 like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Depends what you're planning. As I've said so many times before, you only need to bring some gym kit, gym shoes, a couple of cooler weather options and you've soon got a very tight carry on bag.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
What about people going back home with bags to check?
Old May 27, 2024, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
What about people going back home with bags to check?
Well this could be interesting as I am in Oslo booked on the 17.05 today, with a checked bag!

Would be interested in the experience of those leaving from LHR earlier today to see what my options may end up being!
Old May 27, 2024, 12:17 am

One interesting aspect is that, by encouraging people to go HBO, they are presumably going to need to gate check a lot of bags at LHR as the overheads will be full. So I wonder what happens to those at the other end...
the810 and SxMan like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 12:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Negotiations have apparently been going on all through the night, and still no clarity of a strike will happen or be called off.

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/i/25do1r/n...er-paa-overtid

(in Norwegian)
Old May 27, 2024, 12:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This has happened before, and the deal was either you somehow squeeze everything into the cabin or you get rebooked to a later flight. A blind eye is given to the size dimension limits (as if one can tell) and because some people won't fly without their checked luggage there is usually more space than normal on board. If it doesn't all fit it will go into the hold at LHR, go to OSL, come back to LHR, and get reloaded on another day. There isn't much choice, particulary at the OSL end - if someone turns up with a large bag then all you can do is offer to rebook, there is nowhere else for the bag to go. Plus security will be backed up with additional hand luggage as it is.

It may be necessary for gate staff at LHR to know about the restrictions, they may not be on top of any recent messages.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
As an alternative, could flying into GOT with your checked luggage and then driving to Oslo work for you?

LcS
DeathSlam and SxMan like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 2:14 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
As an alternative, could flying into GOT with your checked luggage and then driving to Oslo work for you?

LcS
Not unreasonable. Coach and train options as well.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The latest data point on this is that having arrived at the airport to avoid the latest thunderstorm, I’ve spoken to the Iberia desk agent here, they are accepting checked bags at OSL today. She had heard about the strike, but it seems to ‘have gone away’.

The BA desk should open in 45 minutes or so. Hopefully it’ll be the same for BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.