Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drop off bags for family when entering US through EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drop off bags for family when entering US through EWR?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2024, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Gold, BA Silver, AC 25K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Question Drop off bags for family when entering US through EWR?

I'm going to take an international flight to the US soon, and my port of entry would be EWR flying United, with another domestic connection afterwards. I know that when entering US, we collect our bags even if we have a connection. Let's say that I've through-checked 2 bags to my final destination, can I pick them up at EWR, drop 1 off to my family living in New Jersey, and then continue to the bag drop to check in the remaining bag? Is this possible? Would the service desk agent give me trouble due to inconsistent number of bags? How about if I empty the bag so that my family member can take their stuff out, but I then check the 2 bags to the destination? Or what if I drop off both bags to my family, and then just continue to the gate with my boarding pass?
Old May 26, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by BladesInk
I'm going to take an international flight to the US soon, and my port of entry would be EWR flying United, with another domestic connection afterwards. I know that when entering US, we collect our bags even if we have a connection. Let's say that I've through-checked 2 bags to my final destination, can I pick them up at EWR, drop 1 off to my family living in New Jersey, and then continue to the bag drop to check in the remaining bag? Is this possible? Would the service desk agent give me trouble due to inconsistent number of bags? How about if I empty the bag so that my family member can take their stuff out, but I then check the 2 bags to the destination? Or what if I drop off both bags to my family, and then just continue to the gate with my boarding pass?
When you land in EWR you pick up your bags, clear customs and place them on the recheck belt as you leave customs. Doubtful anyone would notice if you don't check one but the staff there only help with bags, they do not enforce any policy and are not check-in agents.
SPN Lifer, weero, cruisr and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is this possible? Would the service desk agent give me trouble due to inconsistent number of bags?
No one's going to notice or care.
SPN Lifer, cruisr and BladesInk like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:57 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
For good karma, take off the bag tag that you are not planning to check. At re-check station, hand them the bag you plan to recheck, and one tag and ask them to cancel the tag. Same process if you are dropping off both bags for your family.
trooper and PLeblond like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
..ask them to cancel the tag...
Isn't that asking for trouble? Someone may find or invent a rule against short-checking the bags.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by weero
Isn't that asking for trouble? Someone may find or invent a rule against short-checking the bags.
I mean, you are handing them a tag, and there is no more bag. It would have been the same as if you carry on a bag that has already been tagged at the gate.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I agree - especially at EWR, this is inviting trouble. Just hand over the bags to check-through and leave with the bag for family. The less interaction with staff, and the fewer questions, the better.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:33 pm

I mean, you are handing them a tag, and there is no more bag. It would have been the same as if you carry on a bag that has already been tagged at the gate.
Of course there's a bag ... it's right with you and you are inviting the agents to lecture you. If you won't mention the tag, they won't do that.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Or just check the one bag to EWR from your point of origin and the other to your final destination.....even UA's systems can handle that (I think )
Old May 26, 2024, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I agree - especially at EWR, this is inviting trouble. Just hand over the bags to check-through and leave with the bag for family. The less interaction with staff, and the fewer questions, the better.
Indeed. If the OP is worried about the system registering the missing bag ... just put the tag on a mini-dummy-bag and the gods of the IT will rest,
Old May 26, 2024, 2:53 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Kacee
No one's going to notice or care.
For good karma, take off the bag tag that you are not planning to check. At re-check station, hand them the bag you plan to recheck, and one tag and ask them to cancel the tag.
Originally Posted by runningshoes
Or just check the one bag to EWR from your point of origin and the other to your final destination
I am curious to know the basis for these various (and varied) advice given to OP. Are they based on direct knowledge of facts as regards UA baggage handling; precedence (i.e. knowledge from self or others in similar situation); something else; or just one's assumption?
Old May 26, 2024, 3:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Of course there's a bag ... it's right with you and you are inviting the agents to lecture you. If you won't mention the tag, they won't do that.
Is this speculation or actual experience? As folks have been using USA port of entry bag access for years to do what the OP is asking about, not aware of a single report of an UA agent doing this. Can you relate when that happened?

Any of these options will not be a problem. This questions is ask multiple times every year and not heard of an issue.

On thing to be aware of is. in the case of irrops, UA might try to route you via a different gateway. You can decline but it will limit your rebooking options.

Originally Posted by runningshoes
Or just check the one bag to EWR from your point of origin and the other to your final destination.....even UA's systems can handle that (I think )
UA specifically disallows short-checking as a check to hidden city ticketing
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2024 at 4:07 pm Reason: auto spell checker
Old May 26, 2024, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA specifically disallows short-checking as a check to hidden city thickening
I was not aware that Newark was a restaurant mecca (although Forno's in the Ironbound District is pretty good).
Old May 26, 2024, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
I am curious to know the basis for these various (and varied) advice given to OP. Are they based on direct knowledge of facts as regards UA baggage handling; precedence (i.e. knowledge from self or others in similar situation); something else; or just one's assumption?
You come out of EWR international arrival (either B or C), you can do whatever you want with your bags, or yourself. There is no one waiting around cross referencing number of bags or pax on connecting flights.

You can substitute EWR with any US airport.
FlyingHoustonian and Kacee like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You come out of EWR international arrival (either B or C), you can do whatever you want with your bags, or yourself. There is no one waiting around cross referencing number of bags or pax on connecting flights.

You can substitute EWR with any US airport.
I know what you can do, as I suspect the OP does. The question, I believe, was regards the consequences if one did that. You seem to assert that there can be no negative consequences so I ask again whether this is because of direct knowledge of United and their practices, personal experience, experience of others who did same, or just an assumption being made?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.