Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan accounts for 2 persons with an identical name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC

So, here it is. WildcatYXU Jr. just started a new job. The job will include a bit of travel. Traveling from YXU AC is basically the only choice, so he wants to open an Aeroplan account. Here's the problem: our names are completely identical. Has anyone experienced this? Should we expect any problems?
Old May 25, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
So, here it is. WildcatYXU Jr. just started a new job. The job will include a bit of travel. Traveling from YXU AC is basically the only choice, so he wants to open an Aeroplan account. Here's the problem: our names are completely identical. Has anyone experienced this? Should we expect any problems?
expect problems with dup detector any time you're travelling together on separate PNRs. Or anytime you are in the air the same day or time as your child

I've called numerous times after getting one trip cancelled etc. fixing seems like a very manual process

Old May 25, 2024, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
expect problems with dup detector any time you're travelling together on separate PNRs. Or anytime you are in the air the same day or time as your child

I've called numerous times after getting one trip cancelled etc. fixing seems like a very manual process

The probability of us traveling together or on the same day is low. But we will watch out for it nonetheless.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:05 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada 3MM, Best Western, Marriott
I have the same name as my father and never had a problem, even when we are on the same flight. If you have different addrrsses, ph # and emails, you shouldn't have a issue. He can always add JR to is account name.
The Lev likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Shouldn't this be a regular occurence within Aeroplan? There must be quite a few John Smith or David Johnson in their database so they must have a standard procedure to deal with it without causing issues for all affected members.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:52 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Shouldn't this be a regular occurence within Aeroplan? There must be quite a few John Smith or David Johnson in their database so they must have a standard procedure to deal with it without causing issues for all affected members.
You are giving AC IT way too much credit
DrNest likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700

All I'm going to say is to trust expert7700 .

I suspect he's okay with me saying that there's a First Middle Last and Last Middle First with vastly different birth dates, and I can confirm what he said that he's had cancellations when on the same flight with separate PNRs.

That's not even an identical name.

The dupe detector is your only issue, and it's ... dumb.

But in terms of just registering an Aeroplan account? I've worked in offices of 25k people where there were three people named Scott Kennedy. I'm 100% sure I'm not the only Aeroplan member named Scott Kennedy.

In fact, I'm also 100% sure there's a Scott Douglas Kennedy, because most replies from customer relations address as me as "Scott Douglas Kennedy", even though that's not my middle name. So maybe there are other systems that can't handle similar names
Old May 26, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
In March my best friend is getting married to someone with the same first name, and they'll have the same last name too after - and same address. Just different birth days. If I remember to, I'll update this thread with how it goes but I am for sure expecting them to have issues.
yulscs likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Would he run into a problem if he would open an account as WildcatYXU Jr? There is no Jr suffix in his passport. But he's using it on his bank account and CCs.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:09 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada 3MM, Best Western, Marriott
Would he run into a problem if he would open an account as WildcatYXU Jr? There is no Jr suffix in his passport. But he's using it on his bank account and CCs.

No, thats what I did when I lived at home.
Old May 28, 2024, 10:37 am

Programs: AC 75K, FB Gold, BW Diamond Select
He may have issues if there's no Jr. suffix in his passport. I used to have issues because my Aeroplan account had a space registered after my middle name, but when I entered details as per my passport they didn't match.
It took a long time to track down the issue and get resolved.
Having different birthdates should help somewhat, but if Jr still lives at home, having the same address could also trigger the duplicate detector.
I'm not sure how you apply to get them, but you can get a Canadian Known Traveller number which you can add to your booking.
This specifically identifies you, or Jr as a separate and definitive person and should eliminate any issues with the system thinking you're the same person.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:14 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DrNest
He may have issues if there's no Jr. suffix in his passport. I used to have issues because my Aeroplan account had a space registered after my middle name, but when I entered details as per my passport they didn't match.
It took a long time to track down the issue and get resolved.
Having different birthdates should help somewhat, but if Jr still lives at home, having the same address could also trigger the duplicate detector.
I'm not sure how you apply to get them, but you can get a Canadian Known Traveller number which you can add to your booking.
This specifically identifies you, or Jr as a separate and definitive person and should eliminate any issues with the system thinking you're the same person.
I think if your aeroplan name doesnt match your passport name youd just need to be careful when booking that when it auto populates your information on each booking youd just need to remove the Jr?

Its quite easy to get a known traveller number, just get Nexus
Old May 28, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
I had a colleague who had the same name as his father. The father didn't travel much, but when he did, just affixed his son's FF number to his bookings and enjoyed his Global Services perks.
WildcatYXU and billdokes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.