Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA294 (ORD-LHR) - F questions

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 11:25 am
Original Poster

BA294 (ORD-LHR) - F questions

Never having flown BA F, I have a couple questions. BA lists this as a 777 without elaboration. Anybody know if it will have the refurbished F cabin with the doors for the individual seats? Also, we will get pajamas? Any other hints for an AAdvantage Exec Plat who never flies BA to get the most out of this experience (including a several hour connection time at LHR to another BA flight (economy class) departing from T5)?

Thanks
Old May 25, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
You will get pajamas, refurbished F not guaranteed, make sure you go to the Concorde Room (CCR) at LHR (keep your inbound F boarding pass just in case), and the terrace there is lovely. You can grab a shower at the lounge also.

You will go through Flight Connections (fast track far right) and security as you transfer at LHR.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

As above except , can I ask

what is your final destination as if it is UK domestic or Ireland you will clear immigration at LHR ( if elsewhere then no immigration at LHR)
Regards

TBS
Old May 25, 2024, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

As above except , can I ask

what is your final destination as if it is UK domestic or Ireland you will clear immigration at LHR ( if elsewhere then no immigration at LHR)
Regards

TBS
Final destination is AMS. Although they are separate tickets and we will have checked luggage so unsure as to the process for claiming luggage and getting to next flight.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
All my recent F trips to ORD have been old F unfortunately. However the crew have been great.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:12 pm

Our last trip to/from ORD was not good F hard product but you will still get F service.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

If it is relevant to the old v. new F, the BA seat map shows only 2 rows (1 and 2) in F for this flight - total of 8 seats in F.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by deaddog
Final destination is AMS. Although they are separate tickets and we will have checked luggage so unsure as to the process for claiming luggage and getting to next flight.

Hi,

Ok ,with separate tickets, you need to assume that the bags will not be checked through ( BA policy is not to check bags through on separate tickets though it can sometimes happen)
You will need to clear immigration ( if a us passport holder you can use the e-gates), collect bags, walk through customs, take the lift to departures
As a AA EXP you can use the First wing to drop bags for the LHR-AMS leg, clear security, walk through Galleries F to the exit and down the corridor to the Concorde Room ( access per your ORD-LHR F boarding pass also showing LHR-AMS boarding pass)

Bag drop at LHR closes at T-45 mins and you need to be at security at T-35 mins but as you said you have several hours so it should not be a problem
As you are going landside ( collecting bags) you also have the option to use the Arrivals lounge for a shower and breakfast ( with the Concorde breakfast dining room inside the arrivals lounge)
Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; May 25, 2024 at 12:35 pm
Old May 25, 2024, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You can check luggage through to AMS without collecting it, just go through flight connections. There are routes out through immigration (using e-gates) and back in through the gold wing, but to be honest there's not a lot of point in doing that, except to enjoy the fact that UK immigration through e-gates is usually loads better than you'll get in Amsterdam. You'll likely take the shuttle train back from B or C gates to A, and a pro tip is that the elevators are always faster than the escalators when you're going up to connections.

Wrong as I'd missed the separate tickets part, so you need to enter the UK and pick your bags up. Go back in via the gold wing, and enjoy the e-gates which are quicker than the AMS equivalents. And yes, elevators are better than escalators.

You can have old F in the 8 seat config, I had it last week. It's actually OK though after the newer one with doors you feel a little exposed, oddly. But there's plenty of leg room and I didn't mind it. You'll find in the ORD to LHR direction many passengers will opt out of eating and sleep quickly, and the crew will be attuned to that.

You will get CCR access because coming in on F, there are showers in the little annex as you approach the entry, I usually dump my bags somewhere and hop out there if connecting after a long haul. There aren't spare razors, toiletries and so on, but you'll have some in your amenity kit so hang onto it. You may have to decant the liquids and gels from that into your liquids bag, but my experience is amenity kits tend to get ignored.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If it is relevant to the old v. new F, the BA seat map shows only 2 rows (1 and 2) in F for this flight - total of 8 seats in F.
If you're on a 772 it will be old First, a 77W with 2 rows will have new First with doors. 772s typically operate your flight.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Very helpful info on the connecting flights. I have substantial time - approx 5 hours - but if I can make it through quickly, there is an LHR-AMS flight departing 1:55 after my scheduled ORD-LHR landing - any chance I'll make that with the checked bag?
Old May 25, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
I suspect many FTers would advise you to just enjoy the CCR if you don't desperately need to be in AMS for a specific reason. Not everyone gets CCR access.
seanp7, Genius1, Cymro and 2 others like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Very helpful info on the connecting flights. I have substantial time - approx 5 hours - but if I can make it through quickly, there is an LHR-AMS flight departing 1:55 after my scheduled ORD-LHR landing - any chance I'll make that with the checked bag?
If you are on a cash ticket from LHR-AMS with a checked bag then you can change to the earlier flight on the day, assuming seats are available
Old May 25, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Yes, there is a very good chance, depending on when your bags actually come out. However, you will have very little time contingency indeed and if you dont know where youre going it will be even less. Youre probably already dependent on having access to the First Wing to make it. Essentially youll be signing up to rush around the airport - not recommended if you are even slightly anxious by nature.

You also need to be on a paid ticket with luggage to do the same day change for free. Personally Id take the more leisurely approach.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. The LHR-AMS ticket is a cash ticket so I'll move as fast as I can and if I make the early flight, great - if not, I'll hang out in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.