Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA390 to TFS return to LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 3:12 am
Original Poster

BA390 to TFS return to LHR

Just been on BA390 to TFS and after an hour circling Winchester with our gear down we returned to LHR. 3 week old aircraft (G-TNED) and the gear wouldnt retract. Doh!
SxMan likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jacksprat
Just been on BA390 to TFS and after an hour circling Winchester with our gear down we returned to LHR. 3 week old aircraft (G-TNED) and the gear wouldnt retract. Doh!
but you got nice new seats???
Old May 25, 2024, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
but you got nice new seats???
From 7am until 9:30am being on the aircraft I can confirm the seats are comfortable enough. No regular socket for charging, only USB in the seat in-front. But the USB-C port is 60W so enough for a regular laptop.

The new overhead bins being larger are a massive improvement. Loads and loads of space.

Old May 25, 2024, 3:18 am

Its not that the gear wouldn't retract thats the problem. Its if they managed to retract it, then it wouldn't extend. That would be a problem.
aks120, YacozA, BA or bust and 6 others like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Captain said it was an electronics failure with the gear control unit, so Im guessing theyve failed safe (i.e. down). Very tedious, but fun to be met by fire crews and the old bill on the tarmac.
LCSinTexas and wrp96 like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:49 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Ok I'll be the one to ask the classic FT question - would this be seen as a maintenance issue within BAs control and therefore eligible for EC261 comp (in addition to the mandatory duty of care liability)?
Old May 25, 2024, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Ok I'll be the one to ask the classic FT question - would this be seen as a maintenance issue within BAs control and therefore eligible for EC261 comp (in addition to the mandatory duty of care liability)?
Airbus issue I would have thought, hasn't been in service long enough to be a maintenance issue.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by andymartin1968
Airbus issue I would have thought, hasn't been in service long enough to be a maintenance issue.
Regardless of whose issue it is, I think there's enough precedent in the courts etc to prove that mechanicals are covered by EC261. Historically this was something I was deadset against, for I feared a day when, under pressure to avoid a tech cancellation and a lot of EC261s, an engineer might sign a plane that shouldn't be signed, but facts have proved me wrong many, many, many times over.

On a side tangent, I would assume that a case like the one of that poor A350 stricken by the Virgin 787 wouldn't count for EC261 I suppose?
Old May 25, 2024, 6:58 am
Original Poster

6.5 hrs later boarded G-TNEC, but not going anywhere... Polar opposite interior of G-TNED as doesnt even have the middle seat tables in Club. Lets hope the landing gear works this time
Old May 25, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by jacksprat
Captain said it was an electronics failure with the gear control unit, so I’m guessing they’ve failed safe (i.e. down). Very tedious, but fun to be met by fire crews and the old bill on the tarmac.
Did they say…. ello, ello, ello, what do we have here then?

But actually being serious… why the police?
jacksprat likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Did they say…. ello, ello, ello, what do we have here then?

But actually being serious… why the police?
When there is an emergency landing at LHR there's a standard response with a long list of attendees. These will be staff who would be airside anyway at this point. Once it is clear they aren't needed then they will go away. But to give an example, if there was an emergency evacuation of the aircraft on to the apron it would be useful to have the police around to help with the process and keep things safe. I recall the recent Bermuda incident where a half hearted response led to inappropriate outcomes.
BA or bust likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This would be a slam dunk EC261 I should think. BA might want to claim something back from Airbus, but it's a technical issue and so should be paid without quibble.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
Regardless of whose issue it is, I think there's enough precedent in the courts etc to prove that mechanicals are covered by EC261.
I'd assume BA would have no hesitation in paying out in this instance as they can get the money refunded from Airbus or a few tens of thousands knocked off the bill for their next aircraft.

Originally Posted by 13901
On a side tangent, I would assume that a case like the one of that poor A350 stricken by the Virgin 787 wouldn't count for EC261 I suppose?
In my opinion it should. I would expect BA to claim from whoever was at fault for all the costs associated with this incident, not just for the new bits. Everyone will have insurance to cover such things. I dread to think how much next year's premium will go up by though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.