Wiki Posts
Search

BA 638 Diverted to Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, BA Gold, DL PM, Hyatt-Globalist
BA 638 Diverted to Paris

Flight diverted to Paris—odd smell in the cockpit and forward part of cabin the captain said. Captain made decision to divert to CDG. Met by fire engines and emergency vehicles on arrival—usual routine i guess when a plane is diverted. I was seated in first row, personally did not smell anything nor did the person sitting next to me. All passengers now sitting in a departure lounge in terminal 2B, waiting for BA to tell us what next—been more than an hour and nothing from BA as yet. Other than just sitting here and waiting what are my options? We have not entered the EU, so we are just stuck I assume.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Showing around a 4 hour delay into Athens.
Misco60 and becks1 like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It was supposed to leave for ATH at 10.00. It is probably a nightmare getting paperwork and a new slot. The return flight was showing a four hour delay.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Showing around a 4 hour delay into Athens.
Thanks i see a scheduled departure for 10:11 on Flightradar—it’s well past that now so looks like we are not leaving anytime soon. Looking at the bright side, at least they haven’t cancelled the flight—yet!
Old May 25, 2024, 2:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This seems to be happening quite a lot on BA A320 series. Do other airlines have the same sort of issues?
Old May 25, 2024, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by cbfh
Thanks i see a scheduled departure for 10:11 on Flightradar—it’s well past that now so looks like we are not leaving anytime soon. Looking at the bright side, at least they haven’t cancelled the flight—yet!
Think you may have spoken too soon.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Think you may have spoken too soon.
indeed! Flight cancelled.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This seems to be happening quite a lot on BA A320 series. Do other airlines have the same sort of issues?
I do not see it mentioned on other forums. LH has a large a320 fleet. I do not recall this topic ever coming up on that forum

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 25, 2024 at 5:07 am
Old May 25, 2024, 4:22 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I do not see it mentioned on other firums. LH has a large a320 fleet. I do not recall this topic ever coming up on that forum
That may have more to do with differences between the two forums than between the two airlines
Old May 25, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jmd
That may have more to do with differences between the two forums than between the two airlines
can you show me any other forum that has regular reports of a320s frequently returning or divering due to smoke or smells on the cockpit?

the BA forum has had at least 2 this week alone.

If this was happening sonregularly on lh, i firmly believe it would have cropped up on that forum on that
becks1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:12 am

Here's what the Aviation Herald (a site worth sponsoring, I say it without being associated to it) shows when searching for 'fumes': https://avherald.com/h?search_term=f...x=0&search.y=0

Or for odour: https://avherald.com/h?search_term=o...x=0&search.y=0
PLeblond, Raven_FL, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:09 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
[QUOTE=scottishpoet;36258318]can you show me any other forum that has regular reports of a320s frequently returning or divering due to smoke or smells on the cockpit?

the BA forum has had at least 2 this week alone.

If this was happening sonregularly on lh, i firmly believe it would have cropped up on that forum on that[/QUOTE

You may be right, but I suspect it is more to do with the BA forum being more active and more interested in talking about more general aviation issues. That to me is more likely than the fact that BA’s A320s somehow have issues which other airlines don’t.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:31 am
Original Poster

So to update on this, the flight was cancelled and it seems most people are going back to London today and will try for Athens tomorrow. I must say that BA proactively rebooked me, so by the time i made to head of the queue to be reaccomodated, I was all sorted, so the very put upon BA agents here in Paris were relieved. I must commend them for how they dealt with all the angry people in front of them. However to top it off, BA kindly left my checked bag in London, so it was never put on the original flight. Also since I was connecting to Athens, it means I have to get a hotel for the night in London—but BA has shown no signs of covering this cost. As well, I was booked in my hotel in Athens and now have to pay for one night that I will not be there. Does BA owe any compensation for any of this? Just wondering.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by cbfh
So to update on this, the flight was cancelled and it seems most people are going back to London today and will try for Athens tomorrow. I must say that BA proactively rebooked me, so by the time i made to head of the queue to be reaccomodated, I was all sorted, so the very put upon BA agents here in Paris were relieved. I must commend them for how they dealt with all the angry people in front of them. However to top it off, BA kindly left my checked bag in London, so it was never put on the original flight. Also since I was connecting to Athens, it means I have to get a hotel for the night in London—but BA has shown no signs of covering this cost. As well, I was booked in my hotel in Athens and now have to pay for one night that I will not be there. Does BA owe any compensation for any of this? Just wondering.
ba has to cover duty of care

A hotel room up to Ł200 will paid without question (one example...the 'off airport' hilton t5 tonight is currently Ł151), along with meals, but no alcohol.

Alternatively, The transfer desk at lhr may be able to arrange something directly by BA. Often the Rennaisance. They would also provide vouchers for the hoppa bus etc...

The cost of the hotel night in Athens is consequential loss and not covered by BA. Your travel insurer possibly.

You are probably also be entitled to the UK equivalent if EU261 compensation
becks1 and jmd like this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 25, 2024 at 6:42 am
Old May 25, 2024, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
And have a look at CWS lovingly created wiki here Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.