Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"You can change your flight at no charge."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You can change your flight at no charge."

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Question "You can change your flight at no charge."

The message on my aa.com account is: You can change your flight at no charge.

I only want to change the return flight but it seems that it is making me change the departing flight before I can get to the return flight options. I don't want to change the departing flight and it doesn't give me the option of changing my departing flight to the same flight.

Is there a way that I can change just the return flight?

I called aa.com and then chatted with them and they said that this offer (to change the flight) is only available on the website and app. They aren't able to give me the same offer.

thanks
Old May 24, 2024, 6:39 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iowa guy
The message on my aa.com account is: You can change your flight at no charge.

I only want to change the return flight but it seems that it is making me change the departing flight before I can get to the return flight options. I don't want to change the departing flight and it doesn't give me the option of changing my departing flight to the same flight.

Is there a way that I can change just the return flight?

I called aa.com and then chatted with them and they said that this offer (to change the flight) is only available on the website and app. They aren't able to give me the same offer.

thanks
Is this a weather wavier, or are they trying to get you off an oversold flight?
Old May 24, 2024, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S80
Is this a weather wavier, or are they trying to get you off an oversold flight?
Super long story...
A few days ago it was a weather wavier. Flights were moved to about 3 days later.

When I get to the airport today (I had checked-in online the day prior), at security they told my traveling partner and I that our ID's did not match the boarding passes so we needed to go to to the AA desk and get it straightened out. Security was tight lipped as to what didn't match on boarding passes. At the AA counter it took almost a half-hour because they didn't understand why security sent us to them. They said they had no way to contact security. After the agent talked to a few other agents (I have no idea what was said), they printed out new boarding passes. After getting through security, the flight was already boarded and there was not a gate agent at the gate.

So I walked back to the AA desk and asked if they could rebook and they said we can only change the departure flight. We agreed on two day later. They said I needed to contact aa.com to change the return flight.

These are the cheap economy tickets.

Are my return tickets not changeable? My flight at aa.com does say, " "You can change your flight at no charge".
Old May 24, 2024, 7:10 pm
S80

Super long story...
A few days ago it was a weather wavier. Flights were moved to about 3 days later.

When I get to the airport today (I had checked-in online the day prior), at security they told my traveling partner and I that our ID's did not match the boarding passes so we needed to go to to the AA desk and get it straightened out. Security was tight lipped as to what didn't match on boarding passes. At the AA counter it took almost a half-hour because they didn't understand why security sent us to them. They said they had no way to contact security. After the agent talked to a few other agents (I have no idea what was said), they printed out new boarding passes. After getting through security, the flight was already boarded and there was not a gate agent at the gate.

So I walked back to the AA desk and asked if they could rebook and they said we can only change the departure flight. We agreed on two day later. They said I needed to contact aa.com to change the return flight.

These are the cheap economy tickets.

Are my return tickets not changeable? My flight at aa.com does say, " "You can change your flight at no charge".
I've experienced the same thing, but thankfully AA was able to print boarding passes in time for me to make the flight (they also wouldn't tell me what was wrong, they blamed my birthday and middle name, but it was the return flight of a round trip itinerary). As for changing your return, I think you need to HUCA and ask for only the return flights to be changed (to options you see on the app/site.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

On my third contact with AA.com they told me that only the agent at the airport could make the return flight change. When I was at the desk earlier today, they said only aa.com could change the return flight. Who is likely correct?
Old May 24, 2024, 7:51 pm
S80

On my third contact with AA.com they told me that only the agent at the airport could make the return flight change. When I was at the desk earlier today, they said only aa.com could change the return flight. Who is likely correct?
I've only found agents at the airport to be able to work with same day travel arrangements, so the agent at the airport is correct. I would try calling (during normal business hours, if possible) and asking for Web Support, and telling them you can't make the change as it wants to change both flights.
Old May 24, 2024, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S80
I've only found agents at the airport to be able to work with same day travel arrangements, so the agent at the airport is correct. I would try calling (during normal business hours, if possible) and asking for Web Support, and telling them you can't make the change as it wants to change both flights.
Is web support a different number than 800-433-7300? I was on hold at that number for almost 2 hours for my last call. I am leery that I will need to keep calling back until I get the 'right' person.

How many days do you think I have to make this change (for the return flight?). This is a basic economy ticket and I am still able to cancel the ticket and get a refund. I'm afraid that if I'm not able to make the change via calling aa.com within 24 hours, I'll lose the window to cancel the ticket too.

I'd cancel the ticket right now but all the other r/t tickets are 3 times the cost.
Old May 24, 2024, 8:08 pm
S80

Is web support a different number than 800-433-7300? I was on hold at that number for almost 2 hours for my last call. I am leery that I will need to keep calling back until I get the 'right' person.

How many days do you think I have to make this change (for the return flight?). This is a basic economy ticket and I am still able to cancel the ticket and get a refund. I'm afraid that if I'm not able to make the change via calling aa.com within 24 hours, I'll lose the window to cancel the ticket too.

I'd cancel the ticket right now but all the other r/t tickets are 3 times the cost.
I don't believe there is an external number, I believe you have to get transferred over. I don't believe the change is time limited. How is your basic economy ticket refundable, normally they have to be refunded within 24 hours, if booked more than 2(?) days in advance.
Old May 24, 2024, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

I've had this happen before that an economy ticket becomes refundable again for 24 hours after a change is made that is allowed by AA.

In this case, the AA desk representative made the change today and that reset the 24 hours. It has happened to me before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.