Wiki Posts
Search

MQDs after reaching Diamond

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallian
MQDs after reaching Diamond

Will be reaching 28k MQD and making Diamond for the first time ever next month.

Is there any benefit of accruing more MQDs after that in rest of year? MQDs which I will earn during rest of year - will not have any other benefit ? I guess I will switch over from Delta Reserve to other cards ? Am I missing anything ?

thanks in advance
Old May 24, 2024, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nope you get nothing for spending past the DM qualification point, other than additional miles from the spend.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Extra MQD give a boost on the upgrade list as #6 tie breaking factor. Hard to imagine how frequently that matters.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallian
Thank You all 🙏
Old May 25, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Well, depending on where you are located, and how much more you intend to spend beyond the $28K, you could be in the running for a 360 invite for the next membership year (invitations go out next around Jan/Feb 2025).
Old May 25, 2024, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Well, depending on where you are located, and how much more you intend to spend beyond the $28K, you could be in the running for a 360 invite for the next membership year (invitations go out next around Jan/Feb 2025).
This is one reason why Delta should be more transparent about 360. I'm currently at $33k MQDs and will end up with way more, but if I knew that 360 was guaranteed at, say, $65k or something, I'd probably still use my Delta Reserve card to help get to that number. I'll always fly Delta unless they don't fly somewhere I'm going, (like Grenada recently) but they'd make more money from me via credit card spend if I had a better idea of what the 360 threshold is.
atldiamond likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Gators300
This is one reason why Delta should be more transparent about 360. I'm currently at $33k MQDs and will end up with way more, but if I knew that 360 was guaranteed at, say, $65k or something, I'd probably still use my Delta Reserve card to help get to that number. I'll always fly Delta unless they don't fly somewhere I'm going, (like Grenada recently) but they'd make more money from me via credit card spend if I had a better idea of what the 360 threshold is.
A lot depends where you live. 360 living in an outstation is easier than ATL. $65k on flights might get it but for Amex spend it would have to be north of $1M.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I don't know how much you have spent on Delta Reserve, but $75K of spending gets you unlimited SkyClub access next year
dw likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
A lot depends where you live. 360 living in an outstation is easier than ATL. $65k on flights might get it but for Amex spend it would have to be north of $1M.
Why is this? Makes no sense.. ATL $ spend the same as OMA $.. An ATL based passenger can fly UA or AA just as easily as an OMA passenger and get anywhere in the world just as easily, if desired. DL seems a bit delusional about their hold over us ATL people - especially given their overall rude ATL ground staff that has gone quite downhill over the past decade customer-service wise...
Signed,
Lifelong ATL resident and 2MM who flys many airlines from ATL..
Old May 25, 2024, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by resolute
Why is this? Makes no sense.. ATL $ spend the same as OMA $.. An ATL based passenger can fly UA or AA just as easily as an OMA passenger and get anywhere in the world just as easily, if desired. DL seems a bit delusional about their hold over us ATL people - especially given their overall rude ATL ground staff that has gone quite downhill over the past decade customer-service wise...
Signed,
Lifelong ATL resident and 2MM who flys many airlines from ATL..
You don't have a ton of choice if you live in ATL and you want to fly nonstop, especially if flight frequencies are important to you. Hence the generally higher prices to/from ATL versus CHA or BHM. Contrast that with someone living in DEN. Flying DL is a commitment vs using UA or WN. There are fewer DEN-based DL fliers, whether in absolute numbers or in % total DEN o/d traffic as compared to ATL fliers. 360 is an attempt to get the most profitable pax and those who direct travel for companies.
dw, metalblaze and hhdl like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emma dog
You don't have a ton of choice if you live in ATL and you want to fly nonstop, especially if flight frequencies are important to you. Hence the generally higher prices to/from ATL versus CHA or BHM. Contrast that with someone living in DEN. Flying DL is a commitment vs using UA or WN. There are fewer DEN-based DL fliers, whether in absolute numbers or in % total DEN o/d traffic as compared to ATL fliers. 360 is an attempt to get the most profitable pax and those who direct travel for companies.
NYC-er here.totally agree. Except that for NYC, despite having many non-DL options, qualifying for 360 remains a tall order - anecdotally, I have heard ~$75k spend in DL metal.

So, I dont see a lot of ROI for 360 - once crossing the $28k DM threshold, I prefer to buy J based on factors like non-stop flights, or trying out other airlines.

YMMV.
resolute likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I'm currently at a crossroads regarding achieving DM status via a combination of MQD rollover, DL flights, and Amex Reserve spend. After two DL flights next week, I'll have sufficient MQDs(28K) for Diamond status, which I assume would take effect almost immediately and I could enjoy the benefits until Feb., 2026. Correct? However, after DL/AF flights next month to France and Italy, I will accrue an additional 2568 MQDs which, as I understand from previous posts, would be essentially wasted. However, I could apply them to the next MQD rollover level, in my case, 14,852 MQDS + 24,753 miles, thus requiring an additional 2189 MQDs from DL flights and Amex spend before Dec. 31, which while not impossible, would be difficult. Of course, if my Diamond status wouldn't begin until Feb., 2925, then it's a
no brainer. If not, I'm wondering if the additional 24,753 miles is worth the wait. Any thoughts?
Old May 25, 2024, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Oh wow, congrats on moderating the forum! I didn't see the announcement, but good choice!
emma dog likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
I live in a non-hub city and less than 5% of my flights are a single segment, because I'm usually flying to another non-hub city. Some of my former direct routes have gone away in the last 4 years, that's the breaks. In the few instances where there are direct flights, they are often on Frontier, Allegient, or Southwest, and haven't flown them in years (if ever.) I'd gladly pay more for a direct flight on a major carrier, which the airlines seem to recognize (given the rules about SDC or hidden fares.) The "fewer segments is cheaper" also often applies when choosing between 2- and 3-segment routes, which logic suggests is counterproductive for DL since I'm using one extra seat in the aggregate seat inventory for all flights that day. You'd think they'd want to get me there with having me take up the fewest number of flight-seats, or maybe they recognize I'll pay more for a 2-segment route vs a 3-segment route.

So if I flew enough to be in the running for 360 (and DL can easily figure out where there is/is-not realistic competition) I can see why they might offer incentives to capture business by granting 360 when I have the option to take my business elsewhere. And given the (ahem) "passionate feedback" they get when they publish new metrics for each tier of benefits, I can understand why they might not want to publish qualifications for a benefit (360) that may be a moving target based on multiple criteria.

Last edited by gm1955; May 25, 2024 at 9:02 pm
Old May 26, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Trying to get 360 status seems like a fool's errand... Whoopdee Doo...

Last edited by resolute; May 26, 2024 at 3:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.