Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report: CFU-LHR BA839 24 May

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Trip report: CFU-LHR BA839 24 May

not done one of these for a while but as it’s long enough flight to have something discuss, here I go!

I spent the last 3 days at a fabulous 5 star all inclusive. I was having such a good time that 30 hours before my original flight I phoned and got BA to move me on one later in the day. Just 60 mins later, but that’s how much I was enjoying it! (I won’t be commenting here on the hotel for a number of reasons which if you’d like to hear more, PM me).

(Short detour on this story: on my flight in my seat power didn’t work, when the IFL saw I had status she kindly moved me to a row in CE. I said I’m happy to leave my phone on charge there as I’m in an Exit seat but she insisted and then offered food & drink, keeping my glass topped up after most sips! That was a nice gesture).

Never been to Corfu before. Ergo never been to Corfu airport. Arriving was easy enough. Departing also. First thoughts: that’s a lot of TUI!🩵

I tried to maximise the hotel time so much that I arrived at the airport 75 mins before departure. I now have to check in my little carry on (yes it’s full of Greek drink and some food🇬&#127479.

0 people in any queue at the check in. I ask if I’m late or if I’m early. Anyway the inbound is 30 mins late (probably could have stayed for one more LIIT at the pool🍹. Gutted).

Security had fast track, nice touch, especially as security itself was a messy ordeal. Too many staff and very frantic. Small scanners are the worse, not enough time to grab stuff before next bag comes flying out…

Once through I didn’t bother with duty free or Burger King or Starbucks (I was getting massive STN/LGW vibes), went through passport control.

There is a lounge but right now it’s for priority pass customers, or pay €25 for 3 hours (or - and I think she said this - flyDubai flights?? Maybe I misheard?) I did take a look around it - small, a bar, cold food. I didn’t stay ✋

Still no sign of the inbound, I decide to walk down to the other end of the airport to get my steps up…. Step count went up by 30. Maybe 35. It’s a small place!

A320 cometh! Just 25 min delay on the 838, and the people are offloaded both doors which I hope will catch things up.

19:15 boarding begins. In groups. And it’s slowwww. The next bit is wild to me… here is the aircraft. When you deplane, you walk it. We are told to get on, you have to take a bus…. Here is the bus and here is the plane. Is this Greece’s answer to reducing unemployment figures????

19:35 and we are on the aircraft. No middle table. Which I’m not overly sad about today as the next available seat next to me is blocked, so I can now have a lie down. 15 of us in club, 7 rows blocked out though.

📝Menu gets handed around, here’s the goods on paper:

Captain says it should take 2hr50. Scheduled arrival time was 2055.

1955 pushback.

2005 in the air 🛫

2010 seatbelt signs off…

2011 - “drinks, please!” - internal thoughts 💭

2012 crew came round to ask if you’d like to dine. So actually it did move quite fast. Service from the front, which I always enjoy. No mess in the aisle.

2025 whilst I’m sipping my wine, IFL discreetly comes over to ask if I have looked at the menu and what I might go for. I said beef. Reply: “oh good we only have one and I wanted to make sure you got your choice”. That was a nice touch. And I got my meal first. Didn’t realise it would be cold. I wish I went for the cod….

(Some people weren’t happy about 1 beef loading. Another ordered a special meal, then wanted something from the menu & kicked up a fuss when the crew said it’ll have to be at the end subject to availability!)

2115 service all done (being at an AI must have expanded my stomach, I needed 2 bread rolls with my roast ham & I finished all the cheese!). Now settling in to read my book📚 with a G&T in tow. I really miss Corfu right now!

2130 captain came out for a gossip. Both crew occupied and I’m running dangerously low on G&T….😥

2155 my g&t is still empty & no refills suggested even as ‘Club kitchen’ basket of goodies does the rounds. 1 hour to go. Am I going to press the call button for a drink…?

I didn’t. 2200 during a rubbish run I was asked if I want another. Well, it’s Friday after all….. so yes. Back to my book.

🤓 engrossed in my book, before I know it it’s time to land and we are on stand at 2255 (bang on time). Too bad it’s T5B!

Until next time 👋
Old May 24, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Nice report. We went back to Corfu a couple of years ago after some 30 years and…. basically it does not seem to have changed much. Stayed at the very nice Ikos 5 Star all inclusive.

Was a TUI package to replace a wedding that was deferred due to Covid. So we had a credit that we had to use up. Never used TUI before… not BA standard but not bad at all.

Methinks if we go back in another 30 years… it would not have changed much.
HIDDY and TPRun like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP, FI
[QUOTE=TPRun;362

2025 whilst I’m sipping my wine, IFL discreetly comes over to ask if I have looked at the menu and what I might go for. I said beef. Reply: “oh good we only have one and I wanted to make sure you got your choice”. That was a nice touch. And I got my meal first. Didn’t realise it would be cold. I wish I went for the cod….

On CE flights with hot meal options the first two are hot and the third option is cold.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Corfu old town is one of my favourite places
Old May 24, 2024, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Now I know what shaved asparagus looks like.
TPRun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.