Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more customer appreciation emails?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

No more customer appreciation emails?

I'm a 1K Million Mile Flyer. A few weeks ago, we flew from LHR to EWR to LIM in Polaris Class. When boarding the flight from Newark to Lima, when we got to the aircraft door we were informed that there was a maintenance issue and that the plane needed new brakes. We were asked to go back to the boarding lounge and advised it would be about an hour. Three hours later we boarded the flight and took off. We arrived in Lima three hours late.

In the past, when things like this happened, we would have received an apology email from Customer Care with some gesture - additional miles. But with this trip we received nothing. We heard others on the flight (including those in Polaris) had received food vouchers - we got nothing. Of course, we had already been to the Polaris Lounge in Newark and we were able to use the United Club in Terminal C near the gate, but I am still appalled that there was no recognition or apology for the maintenance issue.

Now let's switch to a week later when my sister and my 95 year-old wheelchair bound father were flying from MFR to DEN to BOS. When they got to MFR there was a maintenance issue which caused the mainline United flight to take off 90 minutes late causing them to mis-connect in DEN. They had to wait six hours in DEN and then flew a red-eye to BOS and losing the value of a non-refundable hotel room in BOS. Again - no customer appreciation email - no recognition or apology of the hardship caused by a maintenance issue.

These customer appreciation/apology emails used to be standard practice for pre-COVID United. What's happened to customer service at United. Does anyone care about the customer experience?
Old May 24, 2024, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Expect less and travel with less aggravation. As for food vouchers, the PL and UC were available to you - expecting a voucher in addition is an extra expense on UA's part when they are already provide food/drink options, including sit-down. If you had approached a Customer Service agent, you probably could have asked for, and received, a voucher. I have asked for food vouchers on delayed domestic flights as a 1K on several occasions (even w/ UC access) as sometimes I want sit-down service (last time at ORD). Ask, and ye shall (probably) receive - just don't sit there stewing and expecting one to magically show up.
Repooc17, rch4u, Chukiechz and 4 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2024 at 7:12 pm Reason: No need to be so personal, discuss issue, not the poster.
Old May 24, 2024, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA
I've had proactive customer care emails in the last year, but it isn't consistent after each delay, and the delays were longer than 3 hours.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Hotel and food voucher are now pushed automatically on the app, if the delay qualifies for one - usually more than 3 hours. The voucher disappears if you did not select them before the flight takes off.
uanj and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I received one today for a cancelled flight. $650 voucher or 32,000 miles. I went with the voucher.
Air Houston likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I thought at one point long ago, the threshold for proactive emails was a 4 hour delay? or maybe that was just for comp?
Old May 24, 2024, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Be nice to know actual date, then can look at delay to see if it squares w/ notional minimum for automatic voucher. Sometimes two-plus hours becomes three
Old May 24, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by sannmann
I received one today for a cancelled flight. $650 voucher or 32,000 miles. I went with the voucher.
That is a pretty aggressive per-mile valuation by UA...who would ever pick the miles option especially now
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
That is a pretty aggressive per-mile valuation by UA...who would ever pick the miles option especially now
The team that offers the miles is apparently on a different bonus plan / performance review than the team that determines redemption mileage.... On the bright side when UA stranded me in ZRH I had my $925 ETC EU compensation email within 15 minutes of cancellation -- no more fighting for what you are owed....
Old May 24, 2024, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I've had proactive actions by UA staff including as recently as last week... But have had no emails, and have in fact had to fight for any real comp, for 4+ hour MX delays leading to international misconnects and 24 hour delays, downgrades, etc., whereas in the past, I'd have the email waiting before the delayed flight landed.

​​​​​​I still find UA irrops handling is far superior to just about any airline I've flown (has to do with 1K status in no small part, I'm sure), but I recall the "good old days" of getting at least $125 for even minor issues without asking. I do try to compliment great service regularly so that I don't come across as a complainer when I do have to, ahem, complain.
Air Houston likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I could see it if the voucher is restricted to UA metal.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I could see it if the voucher is restricted to UA metal.
The Ts and Cs of the voucher say its limited to United and United Express.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by exerda
I've had proactive actions by UA staff including as recently as last week... But have had no emails, and have in fact had to fight for any real comp, for 4+ hour MX delays leading to international misconnects and 24 hour delays, downgrades, etc., whereas in the past, I'd have the email waiting before the delayed flight landed.

​​​​​​I still find UA irrops handling is far superior to just about any airline I've flown (has to do with 1K status in no small part, I'm sure), but I recall the "good old days" of getting at least $125 for even minor issues without asking. I do try to compliment great service regularly so that I don't come across as a complainer when I do have to, ahem, complain.
That "good old days" was the alleged reason why a travel blogger/former FT member was banned from MileagePlus at the time - took advantage of complaining on every little thing for those $125 vouchers.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I thought at one point long ago, the threshold for proactive emails was a 4 hour delay? or maybe that was just for comp?
the threashold nowadays is closer to 5-6 hours although proactive complaints may get something at 4 hours
No More Auto-Generated Comp for Delays Under Six Hours
UA has used a 2 cpm conversion for years
Originally Posted by sannmann
The Ts and Cs of the voucher say its limited to United and United Express.
ETCs are now usability for any flight bookable by united, including partners,
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't know how it works exactly but I don't think anything is automatic or there is any clear policy. I think someone whether it is crew or in ops will decide to offer compensation depending on largely arbitrary non-consistent factors. I've been on delays less than 2hrs where I received a meal voucher or ETC/miles proactively. I've been on 4+hr delays with nothing.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
... Ask, and ye shall (probably) receive - just don't sit there stewing and expecting one to magically show up.
I recall a 6hr delay where I asked the agent to fix my connection and give me meal vouchers. I remember the guy behind me asked me how I got the meal vouchers. I was like "I asked". He went back and got some too.
This is true of most things with UA. It's nice when you get it proactively but whether it's a snack box or a meal voucher or an ETC, you often just need to ask for what you want.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.