Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Advice for selecting Aer Lingus flight- economy class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 6:02 am
Original Poster

I am looking into flying from Dulles to Leeds Bradford airport with family next spring and the shortest flight options are with Aer Lingus and KLM. I posted on the KLM forum and have received suggestions that the Aer Lingus journey may be the best choice.

I wanted to start tracking prices for the three family members (including myself) and was hoping to get more advice about luggage restrictions, seats, etc. as I move forward. I have read that Aer Lingus is more strict about their carryon luggage. Is that correct? We are hoping to all just use carryon, but the probability of checking a bag on the return (souvenirs and the like!) is strong. The plane for the long trip over and back is an A321neo. Connection would be in Dublin.

If there is any information that would help a relatively new traveler - in all aspects- with this piece of the trip, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time!
Old May 24, 2024, 6:38 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
EI flights to Leeds are operated by turbo prop ATR72 aircraft. They have restricted space for carry on baggage and its very unlikely, almost to a certainty,, that your bags will be small enough for that plane.
irishguy28 and DELLAS like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
KLM will be a more comfortable ride in economy, KLM generally run an A330 in 2-4-2 config, whereas EI run the single aisle 3-3 config A321LR which is a pretty miserable ride in Y if you need to use a restroom with any regularity.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
KLM is flying ERJ-190 regional jet so is subject to similar cabin bag restrictions as to that ATR-72.

Dublin has pre-clearance so US formalities are done in Dublin and arrival is as a domestic passenger in the US, so no standing around after 7 hours on a plane for US immigration and customs.

Unless you opt for the cheapest fare type you are entitled to 20kg checked + carry on + free seat selection on transatlantic leg.

Shorter flying time via Dublin as well
Old May 24, 2024, 10:54 am

Programs: EI Platinum, BA Silver
The OP appears to be US based. If so, the benefits of US pre-clearance will be largely negligible.

Unless the flight schedules / layovers on KLM do not make sense, I would encourage you to go KLM assuming the fares are broadly similar to EI. I think most would agree that an A330 + ERJ combo is preferable to an A321neo + ATR, especially in Y. KLM is a solid airline with a good onboard product in Y and will look after you in the event of disruption. EI has a patchy record on customer service during disruption. Given there are connections involved and you are a relatively new traveler, you need to be confident that you and your family will be supported if anything goes wrong.

In terms of cabin baggage on EI, you should have no issue on the A321neo, but anything larger than a medium-sized backpack will not fit in the overhead bins, or under your seat, on the ATR. These bags will need to be checked-in at the gate in DUB pre-departure. The same is likely on KLM with the ERJ.
RMDrive likes this.

Last edited by EI320; May 24, 2024 at 11:01 am
Old May 24, 2024, 10:59 am

The E190 is fine for normal cabin bags unlike the ATR where size is very restricted though do bear in mind that European carriers are all much more strict over carry-ons than US ones.

As someone who flys with both EI and KL regularly, I'd choose KL on this route and I would through check bags to save yourself a lot of hassle.
Old May 24, 2024, 11:39 am
Original Poster

I am US based, just to help with your advice. So am I of the understanding that given that distinction, both airlines offer the pre-clearance benefit coming back to Dulles? Or is it just with Aer Lingus? I have read about the customer service complaints for Aer Lingus, but also some decent reviews. I have only flown non-stop previously, and do worry a bit about lost luggage if we were to check anything, esp for the arrival, but if it’s only for the short leg to LBA, I think that would be ok? Thanks for the information as I weigh the pros and cons of each.
Old May 24, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Pre clearance on EI from Dublin only. Not from Amsterdam
Old May 24, 2024, 2:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by EI320
The OP appears to be US based. If so, the benefits of US pre-clearance will be largely negligible.
As someone based in Canada who is well versed in Pre-clearance, I would disagree with this. In my opinion, Pre-Clearance is a lot better than arriving at a major US airport and dealing with the chaos of arrivals.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mustlovedogs2
I am looking into flying from Dulles to Leeds Bradford airport with family next spring and the shortest flight options are with Aer Lingus and KLM.........
Why Leeds Bradford airport?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_Bradford_Airport
Is not far from the far bigger airport MAN (~44 miles)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulles...tional_Airport
Also worth looking from other airport in your (wider) area

A train would get you to Leeds from London or Edinburgh
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Old May 24, 2024, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

I felt Leeds Bradford will allow us to stay an extra day at our location without having to transfer to a closer airport hotel the night before. In order to make the early morning arrival time to the airport for the return leg of the trip, Leeds is much closer.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PLeblond
As someone based in Canada who is well versed in Pre-clearance, I would disagree with this. In my opinion, Pre-Clearance is a lot better than arriving at a major US airport and dealing with the chaos of arrivals.
Global Entry FTW.
PLeblond likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:02 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by destone
Global Entry FTW.
Nexus/GE + Pre-Clearance. I once did Curb to Lounge at YUL in 15 minutes, including checking a bag, security, Immigration/Customs.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:28 am
Original Poster

For those who fly frequently, I am sure that Global entry is worth the money, but I dont think with one trip abroad a year (if I am lucky), would it be worth the money/effort?

on another note, if the Aer Lingus A321 neo is the best choice for our carrier, how is the bulkhead row? I believe it is row 7. On average is it a lot more expensive? Worth the money? I assume your personal bag must be stored above with your carryon. I prefer not to pay extra to be on an exit row.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mustlovedogs2
For those who fly frequently, I am sure that Global entry is worth the money, but I dont think with one trip abroad a year (if I am lucky), would it be worth the money/effort?

on another note, if the Aer Lingus A321 neo is the best choice for our carrier, how is the bulkhead row? I believe it is row 7. On average is it a lot more expensive? Worth the money? I assume your personal bag must be stored above with your carryon. I prefer not to pay extra to be on an exit row.
GE is valid for 5 years. Even with one trip a year, Id go for it. Cheaper than seat selection and you could save up to an hour per entry. How much would you pay for yourself for one hour of work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.