Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra legroom seats

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Extra legroom seats

I’ve just booked a ba holiday from Heathrow to Thessaloniki 30th Sept-7th October. I’m currently a blue member but should be bronze by the end of July and on track to be silver before the end of the year.
My partner is 6 foot 6 tall and I had assumed I would be able to go into MMB and pay for exit row seats. We are happy to pay, but these appear to be blocked out for booking both ways. We don’t even need for both of us to have the extra legroom or for us to sit together. I just need one seat he can fit his legs into!
Having read some of the info on this forum I think they are holding the seats up to row 13 for CE in case it books up?
I'm now panicking as if we can’t get an extra legroom seat partner is going to be unable to fit in the standard legroom seat and 3 1/2 hours is too long to be that uncomfortable.
Is there anything I can do to book the seat he needs? I’m hoping someone on here maybe able to offer me a way forward
Old May 24, 2024, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
In short (pardon the pun) , No. Currently those seats are in flux and being held back from sale in case they are required for CE tickets. Keep checking back as the situation is very fluid and they could appear at any time up to the day before you fly.
Muddyone likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC
I think you’re out of luck. The only rows with extra leg room are the exit rows 11 and 12. These are not blocked; they are occupied. There are 3 rows blocked off in case needed for CE but even if they free up, they have the same legroom as other rows. Best I can suggest is put an alert in Expert Flyer to let you know of anything in 11 or 12 opens up.
Muddyone likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichieMc
I think you’re out of luck. The only rows with extra leg room are the exit rows 11 and 12. These are not blocked; they are occupied. There are 3 rows blocked off in case needed for CE but even if they free up, they have the same legroom as other rows. Best I can suggest is put an alert in Expert Flyer to let you know of anything in 11 or 12 opens up.

Sorry, how do you know they are occupied rather than blocked?
Old May 24, 2024, 3:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A320 both ways, exit rows 11 and 12.

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Currently those seats are in flux and being held back from sale in case they are required for CE tickets
There may be other factors in play than just N rows being held back for CE expansion : on the return flight row 10 is open :

Muddyone likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Rather than the ba seat map, here is EF for ba 772 on sep 30th

Exit rows are occupied

Muddyone likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Muddyone
I’ve just booked a ba holiday from Heathrow to Thessaloniki 30th Sept-7th October. I’m currently a blue member but should be bronze by the end of July and on track to be silver before the end of the year.
My partner is 6 foot 6 tall and I had assumed I would be able to go into MMB and pay for exit row seats. We are happy to pay, but these appear to be blocked out for booking both ways. We don’t even need for both of us to have the extra legroom or for us to sit together. I just need one seat he can fit his legs into!
Having read some of the info on this forum I think they are holding the seats up to row 13 for CE in case it books up?
I'm now panicking as if we can’t get an extra legroom seat partner is going to be unable to fit in the standard legroom seat and 3 1/2 hours is too long to be that uncomfortable.
Is there anything I can do to book the seat he needs? I’m hoping someone on here maybe able to offer me a way forward
All of the exit row seats have already been reserved on those LHR flights. Row 1, which in any event can only be booked by Gold members unless empty close to departure, is also fully reserved on the outward LHR flight. See below:

There are LGW flights departing and arriving at very similar times though, which have seats remaining in the emergency exit rows. I'd suggest changing to those if having an emergency exit row is essential. You'd typically pay a £60 change fee p/p (plus any fare difference) on an economy short-haul fare. See below:

Muddyone likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, both exit rows are showing as occupied on Expertflyer. I'm afraid the OP is out of luck. Row 1 is also fully occupied so the only real option is waiting/hoping that rows 8-10 become available. They have an extra inch of space over row 13 and beyond
Muddyone likes this.

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
expert flyer shows you, a free account will allow you 5 seat map searches per day
Muddyone likes this.

Expert Flyer seat map shown above. It’s worth signing up, even the free account gives you some basic functionality. I think you get 5 queries per day with the free version.
scottishpoet and Muddyone like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by flarmip
You'd typically pay a £60 change fee p/p (plus any fare difference) on an economy short-haul fare. See below:
If within 24 hours of booking (OP said they "just" booked) and wanting to change they'll usually waive these fees. Just call up and say you accidentally booked the wrong flight and meant to book the LGW flights
flarmip and Muddyone like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Will I be able to ring to do this?
what number would I use?

Thank you, you’ve all been so helpful.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:30 am

Will I be able to ring to do this?
what number would I use?

Thank you, you’ve all been so helpful.
"Enquire about an existing holiday, hotel or car hire booking
Telephone:
0344 493 0787 option 1 followed by option 2
(calls charged at local rate) Daily: 08:00-20:00"

Ask them about making the seat booking too.
Muddyone likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:35 am

The risk of changing flights and paying to reserve the exit seats is that they may be booted out of them if the CE curtain moves as far as row 12 between now and the day of the flight. I don't know how often that happens, but it did on one of my two flights to/from Faro last year.

The seat fee can be reclaimed of course, but that wouldn't help the OP's other half. Just something to bear in mind that it will still not be guaranteed.
Muddyone likes this.

Last edited by SteveF; May 24, 2024 at 5:42 am
Old May 24, 2024, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
The risk of changing flights and paying to reserve the exit seats is that they may be booted out of them if the CE curtain moves as far as row 12 between now and the day of the flight. I don't know how often that happens, but it did on one of my two flights to/from Faro last year.

The seat fee can be reclaimed of course, but that wouldn't help the OP's other half. Just something to bear in mind that it will still not be guaranteed.
Sure. The aircraft could also be changed to a 321 and the exit rows change completely. There is no way to guarantee a particular seat but switching to LGW seems like the best shot the OP has.
Muddyone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.