Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have my choice of connection cities in Europe from Dublin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2024, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum

I have an upcoming trip
From Dublin back to the states

cost and upgrade chances are basically equal through LHR and AMS and FRA

all things being equal what’s the best choice and i assume LHR is worst as I’m arriving on aer lingus connecting to UA metal for each option
Old May 23, 2024, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lehms
I have an upcoming trip

all things being equal what’s the best choice and i assume LHR is worst as I’m arriving on aer lingus connecting to UA metal for each option
I've gone through FRA a few times for East Coast US to DUB and been happy with the routing. From SFO would probably pick the same but the flight duration becomes less crucial.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I think AMS is your best bet. There should be no transfer security and definitely no passport control, so you just walk straight from one gate to another.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I think AMS is your best bet. There should be no transfer security and definitely no passport control, so you just walk straight from one gate to another.
There would be passport control from Schengen to non-Schengen if connecting to the US.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
There would be passport control from Schengen to non-Schengen if connecting to the US.
The transfer is non-Schengen to non-Schengen.

FRA can also be done without passport control or transit security if the bus is running (before 1330 from memory). Otherwise requires 2 passport controls to avoid transit security.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
I have an upcoming trip

I guess I’ll be the one to ask… Why not just fly UA back to the States from DUB? Seems the easiest option.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Bad flight options on UA. Bad flight time

Rather have long haul flight vs to medium haul flights

very likely UG using plus points
Old May 23, 2024, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I guess I’ll be the one to ask… Why not just fly UA back to the States from DUB? Seems the easiest option.
Not really: the USA-DUB nonstop options are ORD/IAD/EWR, which implies a tcon connection if starting from west coast. Better doing the connection in Europe, then.
SPN Lifer and PLeblond like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Rather have long haul flight vs to medium haul flights...
The other reasons are definitely better than flying the wrong way to catch a daytime flight going the right way.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Not really: the USA-DUB nonstop options are ORD/IAD/EWR, which implies a tcon connection if starting from west coast. Better doing the connection in Europe, then.
Starting from West Coast? OP says he/she is starting in Dublin. There’s no mention of a West Coast destination, either.
VRFast likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by fumje
The transfer is non-Schengen to non-Schengen.

FRA can also be done without passport control or transit security if the bus is running (before 1330 from memory). Otherwise requires 2 passport controls to avoid transit security.
Noted - I assumed Ireland was in Schengen but it is EU only.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:09 am
Original Poster

To clarify. Dublin back to SFO
Old May 24, 2024, 6:14 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I would avoid LHR as likely terminal change. AMS & FRA are both really easy to transit through, but I would choose FRA for the added benefit of better options in case of IRROPs being LH’s biggest hub. There will be a lot more options to get home from FRA should the poop hit the fan.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
OP -- Aer Lingus has cheap morning flights to ZRH -- and then you have a nice long flight on UA to SFO. ZRH may not be as easy an upgrade as AMS, but the connection is easy and the club there is one of my favorites.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I would avoid LHR as likely terminal change. AMS & FRA are both really easy to transit through, but I would choose FRA for the added benefit of better options in case of IRROPs being LH’s biggest hub. There will be a lot more options to get home from FRA should the poop hit the fan.
Doesn't EI use T2 at LHR? There is of course the transit security to deal with which is annoying, but EI should arrive at the main terminal and not the satellite so not too much walking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.