Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-LHR delayed 6 hours , refused reaccomodation on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2024, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

On May 10, LAX-LHR AA 136 delayed 6 hours.

As I live far from the airport, to both avoid rush hour, and since I was in F so I could dine in Qantas F lounge, I arrive 3 hours and 20 minutes before flight time.

While the flight did eventually take off, it was posted as a 5 hour 30 minute delay by the time I got to the airport. The only reaccomadation offers in the app were flights in Y taking 25+ hours.

There was Y availability that day on BA and F the next day. AA refused to accommodate me on the same day BA flight. They said that BA refuses the passengers , claiming that they dont have meals for them. I found this hard to believe (flagship lounge agent), so I spoke to a supervisor who said the same thing.

ultimately the flight took off, the only reason I was considering it is that such a lengthy delay for maintenance makes me think its only 50/50 that the flight will take off. But I found the agents position, while acknowledging it was against policy, to be disturbing.

sharing in case others run into a similar issue.

i proactively received 7500 miles as compensation, my repeated requests to explain why I wasnt allowed on BA have gone unanswered.
Old May 23, 2024, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like you have an answer but you just don't like it.
Old May 23, 2024, 6:33 am

AA can’t force BA to accommodate passengers, I think aa kind of did you a favor because some agents will say yeah sure and go ahead and change you but BA then doesn’t reissue the ticket as they never accepted the rebooking. It sounds to me like given the circumstances you ended up with the best possible outcome. But in the end you were refused by BA not AA

ps 7500 miles is rather cheap
Old May 23, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
BA didn't have enough Y meals? Sounds very odd to me.

Definitely have heard of this for F cabin, but I feel like Y and J are usually fully catered, or at least over-catered?
Old May 23, 2024, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
i proactively received 7500 miles as compensation, my repeated requests to explain why I wasnt allowed on BA have gone unanswered.
You received an answer: BA wouldn't accept the bookings. That's within BA's right -- AA can't force them to take additional passengers.
Old May 23, 2024, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
In terms of delays with AA.... I have had 9 hours delays on a short 1 hour flight.. after several attempts got 7500 miles form AA
that seems to be standard..
lie others have said.. AA canot force any other OW partner to open up seats, in Y or in F...
If LHR was your final destination, its unfortunate that you landed later then expected,
and if you had a connection.. were you able to get on another flight..?
Old May 23, 2024, 7:19 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DWFI

Definitely have heard of this for F cabin, but I feel like Y and J are usually fully catered, or at least over-catered?
This actually is a new initiative by BA for Y in the name of reducing food waste (but is likely really driven by cost cutting).
Old May 23, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by DWFI

J is not fully catered. At least it was not the last time I flew BA from LHR to JFK.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:46 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
I've been reaccomodated by AA onto BA flights on that route multiple times in the past year, both for maintenance and for a broken seat (and without paying the extra BA award surcharge). One time originating LAX it was an absolute nightmare to get reticketed, required going back and forth between the Oneworld Lounge, Gate, and AA Flagship lounge, but I did get ticketed. When originating LHR they seem to be much more coherent, at least the folks in T3 ticketed me and then sent me to T5.
In any case, if the meal isn't important, just tell them you'll eat in the lounge and forgo the food, I know they load more pax than meals anyways (and in the event of an opup, they now serve you the meal from your original cabin). It's better than the Lufthansa Group carriers where I've been told multiple times they just haven't loaded enough food, and I've drawn the short straw (despite being ticketed at least a month in advance).
Old May 23, 2024, 2:02 pm

I had the same issue in 2022 and had no issue being rebooked from AA J onto BA J. If BA are selling seats then there is absolutely no reason why AA cant confirm you onto BA.
Old May 23, 2024, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
You received an answer: BA wouldn't accept the bookings. That's within BA's right -- AA can't force them to take additional passengers.
As we know from experience with AA, this could be true or it could be some Pulitzer winning fiction.
zip10001 and bchandler02 like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 2:24 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spanishflea
I had the same issue in 2022 and had no issue being rebooked from AA J onto BA J. If BA are selling seats then there is absolutely no reason why AA cant confirm you onto BA.
It's all part of the JV anyways, so the money is going into the pot to be split, AA isn't losing your revenue by rebooking you.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
They didnt even call up the ticket to see if it was award or revenue.

interesting about the restricting. Cant AA reticket it on BA (if revenue)?
Old May 23, 2024, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
They didnt even call up the ticket to see if it was award or revenue.

interesting about the restricting. Cant AA reticket it on BA (if revenue)?
AA can reticket on BA, but it requires BA's approval. AA can't just reticket unilaterally and force BA to accept it.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
AA can reticket on BA, but it requires BA's approval. AA can't just reticket unilaterally and force BA to accept it.
AA cant force BA to open up inventory that isnt there. But they absolutely can rebook into available BA inventory without requiring special approval from BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.