Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How does AA calculate mileage--I'm confused

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2024, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA

Recently took at trip with the exact same segments and class of service outbound and inbound. The numbesr I'm posting are the base miles + bonus miles, I'm EXP):

OUTBOUND: GRR-ORD 132 miles
ORD-LHR 3795 miles
LHR-IST 2559 miles

RETURN: IST-LHR 800 miles
LHR-ORD 4389 miles
ORD-GRR 77 miles

Total miles outbound 6486, total miles return 5346--same exact routes.

Can anyone explain how these numbers are calculated?
Old May 22, 2024, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by snackyx
Recently took at trip with the exact same segments and class of service outbound and inbound. The numbesr I'm posting are the base miles + bonus miles, I'm EXP):

OUTBOUND: GRR-ORD 132 miles
ORD-LHR 3795 miles
LHR-IST 2559 miles

RETURN: IST-LHR 800 miles
LHR-ORD 4389 miles
ORD-GRR 77 miles

Total miles outbound 6486, total miles return 5346--same exact routes.

Can anyone explain how these numbers are calculated?
For travel on AA-coded and a few other airline-coded flights, including BA, mileage is based on the ticket's pre-tax fare. It's possible that you had a more expensive fare component for the outbound vs. the return.

What was the roundtrip ticket's total pre-tax fare? You should be able to calculate from that whether you were awarded the correct miles for the entire trip.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Miles are no longer calculated based on miles flown but rather ticket (segment) price (minus certain taxes) x bonus for status (in your case 11 x price-taxes)
the 11 = 5x (base) + 6 (120% of base for EXP_
Old May 22, 2024, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA
The trip has completed--is there a way to see the fare breakdown I paid on aa.com for past trips? I didn't seem to find it anywhere.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The trip has completed--is there a way to see the fare breakdown I paid on aa.com for past trips? I didn't seem to find it anywhere.
You can try to find your receipt

https://www.aa.com/your-receipts/
Old May 22, 2024, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
No, the fare breakout by segment is not visible. What was the total fare you paid for this roundtrip? You earned about 12k LP, so as an EXP was your ticket around $1200 or so total? If yes then things are working properly.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, the fare breakout by segment is not visible. What was the total fare you paid for this roundtrip? You earned about 12k LP, so as an EXP was your ticket around $1200 or so total? If yes then things are working properly.
Receipts retrieved from the link I shared show the fare basis code for each segment. This, combined with EF historical fare data, can yield the breakout for each direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.