Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

6 AM Flight from LGA - Is airport open at 2 AM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2024, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

I have a 6 AM flight from LGA. Can I arrive at 2 AM and wait inside by check in until security opens or are the doors locked from 12-4 AM?
Old May 22, 2024, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
From the Terminal B website:

Old May 22, 2024, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I saw that, but that is generally referring to the terminal itself meaning past security. In most airports, you can usually get into the entry area by check in at any time even if security is closed. Wanted to check if LGA is the same.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Based on my conversation with a ticketing agent, I am pretty sure that the answer is no to avoid the homeless setting up shop. It is the same reason there is no furniture setup when you enter from the curb.
dw, wrp96, jerseytom and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I have a 6 AM flight from LGA. Can I arrive at 2 AM and wait inside by check in until security opens or are the doors locked from 12-4 AM?
My comments are based on a personal experience about 5 years ago, when my DL flight BOS-DCA was cancelled and I was stranded overnight at LGA after being rebooked BOS-LGA-DCA. Most of the terminals at LGA were closed at a certain point, but one remained open overnight, where 40-50 passengers spent the night inside, sitting on chairs or on the floor, but with access to restrooms. A shuttle bus between the terminals began to operate about 4 AM or so (sorry, but I can't remember the time more exactly), and I was able to go the terminal needed for my early flight. I had to wait for an hour or so before security opened.
I realize that things may have changed in the meantime, but I hope that these comments may be of some help.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
For a definitive answer, the OP might want to submit his inquiry via the contact form at the bottom of the Terminal B homepage:

https://laguardiab.com/
Old May 22, 2024, 9:51 pm

Basically Lga is closed and you aren’t allowed to enter but the reality can change depending on the weather so if there are storms and tons of cancelled/ late arriving flights the night you are trying to get in you might be able to access the airport because it will have stayed open later and have a certain number of stranded passengers on a decent weather day it will be tougher,

from what I have noticed arriving on delayed flights coming in past closing almost all doors are locked with one or two doors opened to let passengers out with security at those doors

Last edited by tennessetom; May 22, 2024 at 10:00 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392
My comments are based on a personal experience about 5 years ago, when my DL flight BOS-DCA was cancelled and I was stranded overnight at LGA after being rebooked BOS-LGA-DCA. Most of the terminals at LGA were closed at a certain point, but one remained open overnight, where 40-50 passengers spent the night inside, sitting on chairs or on the floor, but with access to restrooms. A shuttle bus between the terminals began to operate about 4 AM or so (sorry, but I can't remember the time more exactly), and I was able to go the terminal needed for my early flight. I had to wait for an hour or so before security opened.
I realize that things may have changed in the meantime, but I hope that these comments may be of some help.
there is a difference between stranded passengers already in the airport and passengers trying to access the airport. Lga is closed however, they at times need to accommodate stranded passengers and do so which is what happened in the case above, this is very different than trying to enter the airport when it is closed,
Old May 22, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
https://www.buccaneerdiner.com/ -- 24 hour diner seems like a better option, no?
HofstraJet and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Why?

LGA is officially closed until 4, but you may be able to sneak into the check in area depending on what is going on
Old May 23, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Why would you want to arrive at 2am?
SJOGuy, wrp96 and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olivedel
Why would you want to arrive at 2am?
Event the night before in CT will end around 1-2 AM and my ride lives on the island and can drop me off on the way home. Dont want to get a room for just a few hours.

I like the diner idea. Have a bite and some dessert to kill a couple of hours. They wont care Im using a table at that hour.
Old May 23, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
My experience in general and with LGA (albeit many years ago) is that the check in areas are open. Now there may not be much in the way of seating and potentially you may be asked by police/security to produce a boarding pass for that day presumably to keep out the homeless. Some airports if you're in the sterile area to begin with you won't be chased out. That's happen to me on a few weather delays where I had to be reaccommodated to a very early morning flight and spending $200 plus for a hotel room wasn't worth the 3-4 hours of sleep. Happened to me last December at SFO. Quite a nice terminal to hang out in. (The city, well different story).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.