Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW Weather Foercast 5922-2024

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2024, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
DFW Weather Forecast 5-22-2024

It is 10:36 AM local time in Fort Worth.

At the risk of being flamed, the local weather forecast for mid-afternoon to mid-evening is quite stormy, although there is little on the radar at this time. Consult the weather reporting source of your choosing and make up your own mind.

Last edited by jayer; May 22, 2024 at 7:23 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
FYI, there is a travel alert for those traveling through DFW on AA today or tomorrow.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
Old May 22, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Looks like the Stuff is hitting the fan, so to speak. Big storms just north of the airport. Lots of inbound flights doing circles. Found a couple on flightaware already diverting to OKC right now. Though DFW may get a break for a bit once the current storm moves on, the line of storms that is forming is going to be potentially training over the area for the afternoon.

I'd recommend rerouting if you can.

Last edited by MarkOK; May 22, 2024 at 12:14 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
i had a 3+ hour delay in tulsa yesterday because of the ground hold and associated weather in DFW...
Old May 22, 2024, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Last night a friend was going to get out ahead of the storms, but right as they got to the runway had to return to gate for a medical emergency. By the time they left the gate again, the route for all eastbound departures was closed due to weather. Thankfully only two hours delayed.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: too many
How many diversions can AUS handle before they have to wave their arms and say "we're full!". Diversions to multiple cities right now, but a lot are going to AUS.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
AUS, ACT, TYR, OKC, et al all can see diversions

There is a nasty cell just to the north of the airfield. All departures right now - no arrivals.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
AUS, ACT, TYR, OKC, et al all can see diversions

There is a nasty cell just to the north of the airfield. All departures right now - no arrivals.
At the moment, looks like currently airborne flights should be able to get in from all but the NE cornerpost.

Just a couple of mainline AA diversions to ACT or TYR would be enough to earn those FBO's GMs a nice bonus! I actually called the FBO at the former recently to try to find short-term hangar. No dice.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
At the moment, looks like currently airborne flights should be able to get in from all but the NE cornerpost.

Just a couple of mainline AA diversions to ACT or TYR would be enough to earn those FBO's GMs a nice bonus! I actually called the FBO at the former recently to try to find short-term hangar. No dice.
Im sure if anything lands at ACT or TYR its going to be an E170 or CR7.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:58 pm

Some friends are on AA 1988 PIT-DFW, currently delayed until 505pm via AA's rolling status. They've already been moved to late DFW-SFO departure on Flight 446. The aircraft is coming in from MCO, but not until later this evening.

Thoughts on whether these flights will go? Bizarrely, Flight 1988 has completely dropped off PIT's airport departure screen. But my friends just boarded, so it's looking better than I thought it would.

Edited to add: AA 1988 now enroute to DFW. Hopefully indicating the weather situation there is clearing.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; May 22, 2024 at 3:29 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I noticed on Flight aware, that with that cell to the north (followed by another cell to the north), the airport did nothing but departures shooting south for about an hour (except, one flight from Cancun snuck in and landed on runway 13R between the two cells). Then, after a pause, the switched directions and started letting in a bunch of flights land from the south (with a 10 mph tailwind). A few flights still departed north with sharp turns east to avoid flying right intot the cell but it was mostly inboud.

Interesting operations (I think, at least) to be able to let one bank 'out', and then letting that inbound bank 'in'. And probably pretty effective from an ops standpoint since gates can clear and then take in the inbounds.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:45 pm

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by Herb687

AA2030, a 738 from LGA-DFW, diverted to GGG (Longview, TX)! (along with a couple of Enovy E170s as well)
Old May 22, 2024, 6:48 pm

Yeah, today's been a tough one. Cells moving -very- slowly just north of the airport or just south of it.

The storm line has also thrown standard east-west flows into a tizzy. If you look at flightware everything heading to the southwest (PHX, LAS, SAN, LAX, ONT, SNA) is being funneled very far to the south to avoid the weather line.
ryanbriar likes this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; May 22, 2024 at 6:56 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 7:16 pm

My friends flight, AA1988 PIT-DFW, just landed. I was watching on Flight Radar and was surprised to see how few flights were landing at DFW on approach. It's pretty amazing their flight squeaked through somehow. Their incoming aircraft to SFO tonight is enroute from MCO and 1033pm departure is showing on time.

Well, I'm happily surprised it seems to be working out, -- as well as a bit chastised -- because I pretty much told them it'd be a miracle if they made it to or through DFW today lol.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
The weather looked pretty ominous in the city throughout the day, but interestingly enough my flight was delayed three plus hours due to maintenance (the inbound was 30 minutes delayed due to the weather). I actually called up Tuesday evening just before the weather alert went out to protect myself for the first Thursday flight out of precaution.

I was thinking to myself who would subject themselves to the DFW-BOS Memorial Day weekend flights arriving between 1:30 - 4:30 am, but somehow Ive inadvertently found myself on one Just happy to make it out.
wrp96 and FlyFreakquently like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.