Wiki Posts
Search

IAD vs. DCA for UA loyalists

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2023, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amtrak select, Marriott platinum
IAD vs. DCA for UA loyalists

I’ve seen the DCA vs IAD debate in other forums. I’m curious how United loyalists decide whether to make the trek out to Dulles, connect through DCA or just fly another airline.

I live in the city of DC and DCA is incredibly convenient. Still, I used to make the trip to Dulles for basically any destination other than the UA hubs served at DCA. But as my flying has ramped up I’m increasingly inclined to prioritize going to DCA—either connecting through IAH or ORD to reach places like BOI or PHX. And then I’m starting to just do American or Delta from DCA for short hops to BOS, CMH etc. (especially if the flight is cheap and I wouldn’t be getting that many PQPs anyway). That still puts me at Dulles like once or twice a month for transcons and anything international.

Curious how others who live in DC or travel here frequently think about this. Most of my friends/colleagues avoid Dulles at all costs and thought I was nuts when I used to make the trip. Are you all trekking out to Dulles to go to, say BOS or MIA? Is most of the IAD local traffic to VA suburbs?
Old Jun 4, 2023, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If I am going to DC, I am using DCA. I also don't usually fly UA if I am going to DCA because I am minutes from LGA. Can walk to Crystal City, VA to/from DCA, or hop on the Metro to/from DC.

Use IAD for connections if I am traveling on UA to places not served by EWR. Connect at DCA also when I am traveling on AA.

Also not a UA loyalist, if the above isn't obvious enough
moondog likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amtrak select, Marriott platinum
Oh yeah for sure. UA completely useless between DC and NYC. I take Amtrak for that route.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Similar where I live less than 10 minutes from DCA so I try to use otherwise I will make the trek to IAD for international and longer haul domestic. I’ve been flying AA a lot more domestically since DCA is so much more convenient and I find some of the flight schedules better along with a better domestic product on AA.

I prefer nonstop these days. With the segment requirement, I might shift a bit of flying to DCA with a connection the second half of this year.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
If this thread is focusing those living in the District of Columbia or in the north Virginia area within the same proximity as those in DC, then I think there is no debate that one should just choose the airlines flying out of DC to those selective destination served directly by those airlines. There is not much of debate.

But those who live in the greater DC Metro, there may be greater population who prefer flying out of IAD for direct domestic flights and for international destinations. I would think the population of greater DC Metro area is likely a better sample than just those living in the district or DCA surrounding areas of VA.

I can also pinpoint those I know who live west of Tyson and north Bethesda who find a hassle going all the way to DCA much like those who lives in the district who feel about traveling all the way to IAD.

There is demand for both airports independent of UA loyalists. I would say there are more UA loyalists living outside of the DC than inside the District itself in the greater DC Metro area.
SPN Lifer and am1108 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:49 am

It's not unlike people who live in Manhattan and have choices between LGA and JFK/EWR. Really depends on how much you mind connecting.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA_Flyer: well-stated! We live 10 miles/15 minutes from Dulles and ONLY travel from there. It's a $30 cab ride vs. $90 to the airport. With the new Silver line extension, that'd be a 15 mile ride versus > 1 hr to DCA. For domestic travel we have access to 2 Star Alliance Lounges (Turkish and Lufthansa) and several more via Priority Pass versus a couple of restaurant options at DCA.

Not to mention that I feel much more comfortable (as a former light plane pilot) with the length and normal approach and departures from IAD.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If I need to connect, DCA 100%. If there's a nonstop from IAD, then I'll usually do that.

Points of reference: I live ~20-25m to DCA vs ~45m to IAD, and curb to gate at DCA is <10m whereas it's 30m at IAD. So I"m saving ~45m with DCA . . . half the time a connection usually adds.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I might be more of a "UA loyalist" if United had more flights out of DCA, but as things stand, I only use IAD for international flights or if I have a very specific need for UA PQMs or PQFs (eg, a small amount to cross a status threshold). Not only is it much faster for me to get to DCA from the District, but once there, it is so much faster to get to my gate. If I time things right - eg on a Saturday morning - I can Uber from my front door and be sitting at the gate in under 30 minutes - literally. Even at more crowded times it is never more than an hour from home to gate. And I love the short ride home when I return on a late evening flight. To me no amount of elite status I could gain by flying out of IAD is worth giving up the convenience of DCA. It's one if the very few perks (compared to many detriments) that we locals enjoy by virtue of our proximity to Congress.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Population of the District =~710,000
Population of Northern Virgina (some of whom are certainly closer to DCA, but many/most aren't) = ~3,100,000 (and it's growing west of Dulles)

Growth potential at DCA = ~0
Growth potential at IAD = ??? (but a lot, witness the thread on additional UA banks at IAD)

So, if you like DCA, good for you. But not for us or for many, many others.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
When I moved to Western Fairfax County I started off using IAD exclusively. When Uber started and more beyond perimeter slots opened up, I started using DCA more than half the time. I love the River Visual approach and once at the airport it was quick and easy to move around. I also stopped being a UA loyalist at that time because of Smisek. Most people where I lived used IAD 90% of the time though.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Silver line really changed things for me, as a fairly frequent DC visitor. Ease of getting into DC at very reasonable rate has meant IAD is much more of an option.
I used to put a premium on DCA convenience, but much less so now.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:38 am

I live closer to IAD and fly from there to avoid traffic and a long metro ride, even though I prefer DCA as an airport.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I live in MD and roughly equidistant from all 3 airports (as the bird/plane flies). However, traffic can change the amount of time to get to/from each significantly. I will only fly from IAD if it is nonstop and doesn't put me on the beltway at 7-10am or 2-7pm. Metro isn't practical to take red line all the way in and silver all the way out, but I would take it to DCA if leaving from work. Like OP, I am not going out to IAD to go to BOS, esp if it means trying to get home at 4:30pm. Have done AA/DCA or B6/BWI. If am going to ORD or connecting to anywhere, DCA makes a lot of sense and has great connections esp thru ORD, though sometimes prices are higher. I like BWI because it is an easy drive, short security line, close parking, etc., but there is no club and anecdotally I find CPU to be harder(!). Unlike DCA, BWI has an LAX flight, but a lot less ORD frequency and you'll get few SDC options.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:13 am

I live about 25 minutes to DCA and about 35 to 40 to IAD. In general I pick what gets me where I need to go fastest - I travel majority international it's usually IAD.

IAD really is not my favorite. The long walk from the train back to terminal C. The people movers back to customs. The tired C Terminal. Did I mention the overcrowded Polaris lounge (standing room only) during peak hours? Oh, and whoever came up with that obnoxious PenFed advertisement in the walkway, that truly is rhe cherry in top. Ugh.

DCA is nice and quick. Getting in and out driving is usually not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.