Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times can I rollover my MQMs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
How many times can I rollover my MQMs?

I am PM for 2022 through a combination of flying and spending (especially with the Amex Delta card MQM bonuses at the end of 2020). At about 125k MQMs currently. Will be doing some flying on Delta later in the year and still spending on my Amex Delta cards (mostly due to the 25% MQM bonus at the $25k spend thresholds), so I anticipate that by year end I'll have about 150-200k MQMs. Assuming DL doesn't rollover all MQMs again (which would be cool), as I understand it, 75k of my MQMs will go toward PM status for 2023 (as I will definitely not spend enough to reach DM). Will my remaining 75k MQMs (and whatever else I accumulate in 2022) then rollover again to make me PM for 2024? And, say, if I have enough travel/spend at the end of 2024 to get to Silver or higher, will my excess MQMs rollover yet again?

Trying to figure if my best strategy for maintaining DL status is to hit those spend thresholds (2 on my personal and 2 on my biz) so that I have plenty of MQMs to rollover into subsequent years.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's no limit. Unlike say Hilton elite nights, all your MQM rollover every year you qualify. No only rolling over once. Thus some of us have 500k or more MQM.
dtphonehome likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's no limit. Unlike say Hilton elite nights, all your MQM rollover every year you qualify. No only rolling over once. Thus some of us have 500k or more MQM.
Great, thanks! So I guess to maintain status as long as possible I should be hitting those Amex spend thresholds to take advantage of the extra 25% MQMs.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Great, thanks! So I guess to maintain status as long as possible I should be hitting those Amex spend thresholds to take advantage of the extra 25% MQMs.
As long as you qualify for at least Silver Medallion, yes, your MQMs will continue to rollover.

If you have a year (other than 2020, at least for now) where you don't qualify for at least Silver Medallion status, you will lose any and all rollover.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Yep. If your spending patterns continues (so that you always get PM waiver but never get DM waiver) then you could conceivable accumulate 750k MQM and you'd be PM for the next 10 years (even more than 10 years cause you'll keep accumulating of course)
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Yep. If your spending patterns continues (so that you always get PM waiver but never get DM waiver) then you could conceivable accumulate 750k MQM and you'd be PM for the next 10 years (even more than 10 years cause you'll keep accumulating of course)
...as long as you also either have $9,000 MQDs every year or minimum $25,000 Amex spend or move outside USA.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
...as long as you also either have $9,000 MQDs every year or minimum $25,000 Amex spend or move outside USA.
I think you read that too quickly, I specifically mentioned the necessary MQD waiver
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Does Lifetime Silver (OK, whatever Delta actually calls it) qualify to keep MQMs rolling over?

If so, I might not spend on my DL Amex this year, and spend $25K as fast as I can the beginning of next year. If not, I'll have to reach the waiver this year.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The old Marriott Rewards program had a rule that nights could only rollover once, but DL has no such policy.

The only thing to watch is to make sure that you you get at least FO status every normal year, or otherwise all your hoarded MQMs go "poof". This year was an exception to the rule and DL rolled over all MQMs even for people who had never earned the 25,000 requirement for Silver or for those who missed the MQD requirement or waiver.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:04 pm

If you maintain atleast FO status ( I've heard that this is also achieved by carrying a diamond's bag), MQM's will continue rolling over until you roll over!
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jeet
If you maintain atleast FO status ( I've heard that this is also achieved by carrying a diamond's bag), MQM's will continue rolling over until you roll over!
.......and then your RDMs expire too, but you have no further need for status.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by jeet
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.......and then your RDMs expire too, but you have no further need for status.
I thought that's what determines whether you get into heaven or not
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sethb
Does Lifetime Silver (OK, whatever Delta actually calls it) qualify to keep MQMs rolling over?
I don't believe so:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles.../program-rules

"Members who do not achieve any Tier of earned Medallion Status through the published requirements are ineligible for Rollover MQMs. Members who receive complimentary or gifted Medallion Status are only eligible for rollover MQMs if they also earn at least Silver Medallion Status through the published requirements."
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by sethb

If so, I might not spend on my DL Amex this year, and spend $25K as fast as I can the beginning of next year. If not, I'll have to reach the waiver this year.
Good question. I've wondered about it myself even though I'll make $3,000 MQD.

I decided not to make the $25K waiver since that would make me a PM and waste rollover MQM. I'll put this year's spend on my wife's Reserve card and she'll gift me the MQM's

If DL doesn't roll over status again, I'll end the year as Silver. Then I'll do a few MQD runs in January and go back to DM through Jan 2024 without losing any DM benefits. If DL does roll status and MQM again I will save by only doing my required 2021 flying and not doing any MQD runs.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Good question. I've wondered about it myself even though I'll make $3,000 MQD.

I decided not to make the $25K waiver since that would make me a PM and waste rollover MQM. I'll put this year's spend on my wife's Reserve card and she'll gift me the MQM's

If DL doesn't roll over status again, I'll end the year as Silver. Then I'll do a few MQD runs in January and go back to DM through Jan 2024 without losing any DM benefits. If DL does roll status and MQM again I will save by only doing my required 2021 flying and not doing any MQD runs.
No, 1MM Silver status alone does not qualify for continued MQM rollover. It is considered a form of "complimentary or gifted Medallion Status" as mentioned in the T&C's listed above (the MM T&C's specifically call it "complimentary" annual status) and thus does not qualify. You must at least earn Silver via the traditional requirements in order to qualify for continued MQM rollover.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 26, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.