Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Booking GOH as a Globalist-to-be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I'm going to be a globalist in Feb when the credit came in. Can I make a reservation for my friend now, and then when I become a globalist, "convert" the reservation to be a GOH stay?

This is to secure hot properties before they are gone.

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kakapinky
I'm going to be a globalist in Feb when the credit came in. Can I make a reservation for my friend now, and then when I become a globalist, "convert" the reservation to be a GOH stay?

This is to secure hot properties before they are gone.

Thanks
Not without cancelling. Of course you can try but there are no guarantees.

Anyway what are the "hot properties" you're referring to? I don't see any hotels having a run in by customers for the time coming.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why wouldn’t this work? I’ve made plenty of reservations for friends but not changed them to Guest of Honor until much closer to the date of the reservation?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:22 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Why wouldn’t this work? I’ve made plenty of reservations for friends but not changed them to Guest of Honor until much closer to the date of the reservation?
I agree that this should be fine. GoH benefits should be able to be added to any existing reservation that qualifies.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Once you are Globalist, they bend rules. Sometimes a lot. Not certain, but I bet this will be ok.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:04 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Once you are Globalist, they bend rules. Sometimes a lot. Not certain, but I bet this will be ok.
Why do you think this is against the WoH T&Cs ?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:56 am

You can make a reservation for yourself, then convert it to GOH by sending a request to your concierge. Do this all the time with points booking since I can borrow them as globalist but my friend cannot, so I borrow and book with my points, then when the transfer is done I ask concierge to apply the points and GOH.
ClarkGriswold and joachimm like this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:34 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
You can make a reservation for yourself, then convert it to GOH by sending a request to your concierge. Do this all the time with points booking since I can borrow them as globalist but my friend cannot, so I borrow and book with my points, then when the transfer is done I ask concierge to apply the points and GOH.
What is the borrowing of points? I’ve never heard of this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Yes, this is actually how my concierge told me to make GoH bookings. Make them in my name and then send her an email. Otherwise, you're stuck on the phone while they do it.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hp12c
What is the borrowing of points? I’ve never heard of this.
It's called a courtesy booking, and it's not a stated benefit and totally at the discretion of concierge / WoH agent (so as to give them leeway to keep people from abusing it with highly speculative bookings). I've only done it a handful of times (i.e., booking a big extended family trip 6-8 months out).

Bottom line if you don't have points to make a booking, concierge can make a booking for you on the condition points will be in account 1 week prior to stay (otherwise it turns to cash booking at standard rate).

Again, don't go wild on this or they'll just kill it for everyone. I could see this being something that they quietly choose to keep at the concierge level and not extend to newly minted 30 night globalists (no hate, that's how I got into the Hyatt ecosystem years ago ).
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by ClarkGriswold; Jan 23, 2021 at 8:58 am
Old Jan 23, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
It's called a courtesy booking, and it's not a stated benefit and totally at the discretion of concierge / WoH agent (so as to give them leeway to keep people from abusing it with highly speculative bookings). I've only done it a handful of times (i.e., booking a big extended family trip 6-8 months out).

Bottom line if you don't have points to make a booking, concierge can make a booking for you on the condition points will be in account 1 week prior to stay (otherwise it turns to cash booking at standard rate).

Again, don't go wild on this or they'll just kill it for everyone. I could see this being something that they quietly choose to keep at the concierge level and not extend to newly minted 30 night globalists (no hate, that's how I got into the Hyatt ecosystem years ago ).
Intresting, I never heard of this. But then I couldn't say for sure I have xx,xxx more points some time in advance so would feel a bit uncomfortable with this borrowing.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Yes, this is actually how my concierge told me to make GoH bookings. Make them in my name and then send her an email. Otherwise, you're stuck on the phone while they do it.
Yes. This is how I do it too. Honestly, I didn't even realize you could call and just make it as GoH initially.

But since I might cancel these, I don't bother with the GoH transfer until a week or so before the trip so I don't waste anyone's time.
ClarkGriswold likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What credits are you waiting for to get Globalist? 2020 nights posted a week or two ago, and the double nights for 2021 stays are posting about three days after you check out.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Intresting, I never heard of this. But then I couldn't say for sure I have xx,xxx more points some time in advance so would feel a bit uncomfortable with this borrowing.
Yeah, main use case for me is when I know family members have points they'll transfer to me, and I just want to go ahead and get it booked. Occasionally, I know there'll be an extended business trip where I'll earn a boatload of points. Certainly not worth doing if you aren't sure points are inbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.