Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Travel from India to Spain via LHR (British passport)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle

I am hoping to spend 2 weeks in Canary Islands on my return from India in order to avoid UK 2 week self-isolation. I understand that India is not on Spain's list of exempt countries for tourism, but its not clear to me if that means Spain is closed to flights arriving directly from India, closed to Indian nationals arriving from anywhere or closed to any nationality who's been in India recently. I believe its the former but I haven't read this conclusively anywhere.

So my question is, if I arrive in LPA having done BOM-LHR-(MAD?)-LPA (separate tickets, fwiw), am I allowed entry? I realise I will need a PCR test certificate and I will take a test before departing India (which will make my being in India abundantly obvious).

(would appreciate links to source of any advice given )

Last edited by s1362083; Nov 23, 2020 at 9:58 am
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:39 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you are travelling before 31 Dec 2020, we are in the Brexit transition period so British citizens have the right to enter EU countries such as Spain.
s1362083 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by s1362083
I am hoping to spend 2 weeks in Canary Islands on my return from India in order to avoid UK 2 week self-isolation. I understand that India is not on Spain's list of except countries for tourism, but its not clear to me if that means Spain is closed to flights arriving directly from India, closed to Indian nationals arriving from anywhere or closed to any nationality who's been in India recently. I believe its the former but I haven't read this conclusively anywhere.

So my question is, if I arrive in LPA having done BOM-LHR-(MAD?)-LPA (separate tickets, fwiw), am I allowed entry? I realise I will need a PCR test certificate and I will take a test before departing India (which will make my being in India abundantly obvious).

(would appreciate links to source of any advice given )
Which are the separate tickets? LHR-Spain? In that case, don't you fall foul of UK travel restrictions, even if you manage to stay airside?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Which are the separate tickets? LHR-Spain? In that case, don't you fall foul of UK travel restrictions, even if you manage to stay airside?
BOM-LHR is one and LHR-LPA will be separate, possibly via MAD. But in any case, UK is perfectly happy with connection on separate tickets, including landside transfer with overnight stay (and not just of 1 night) provided self isolation is maintained during the time spent in uk.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by s1362083
BOM-LHR is one and LHR-LPA will be separate, possibly via MAD. But in any case, UK is perfectly happy with connection on separate tickets, including landside transfer with overnight stay (and not just of 1 night) provided self isolation is maintained during the time spent in uk.
I can't really comment on the specifics, and I'm sure you're right, but would you not face the same restrictions the you return? Or are you planning on being away for a long time?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:47 am
Original Poster

I can't really comment on the specifics, and I'm sure you're right, but would you not face the same restrictions the you return? Or are you planning on being away for a long time?
I plan to stay for 2 weeks and I have to take direct flight to LHR on the way back to ensure I don't reset the 2 week timer because whilst canary islands are on uk travel corridor (for now!), mainland Spain is not so a MAD transit on the way back would mean 2 week self isolation on arrival, but a direct LPA-LHR flight after 2 weeks of being in Gran canaria means I'm free of any self isolation requirement in uk
Old Nov 23, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
I don't see why LON has to be involved on the way to LPA. Most European carriers and AI can fly you to MAD one way from BOM. You can then book MAD-LPA and a LPA-LON flight. This will mean no issue with LON transit and no quarantine when you get back to LHR.

Bob
Old Nov 23, 2020, 11:38 am

Based on the rules as they are today I don't see any problems, but things are changing quickly. By my calculation, the Canary Islands is about 80 cases per 100k in the last 14 days - just one month ago this probably would have led to removal from the UK travel corridor list - who knows in the future.

From India, Dubai is also an opportunity to spend the 14 days and then return to the UK without quarantine, however Dubai has a bit more complex testing requirements.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:30 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
I don't see why LON has to be involved on the way to LPA. Most European carriers and AI can fly you to MAD one way from BOM. You can then book MAD-LPA and a LPA-LON flight. This will mean no issue with LON transit and no quarantine when you get back to LHR.
There aren't any issues with transiting London though. And there aren't many direct flights from BOM to Europe, so going to LHR first seems sensible to me, though if a one-stop itinerary on LH or LX is operating that could also work.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:34 pm
Suspended

I suspect the OP had the India flights booked a long time ago. The Canary Islands idea just came up recently.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
There aren't any issues with transiting London though. And there aren't many direct flights from BOM to Europe, so going to LHR first seems sensible to me, though if a one-stop itinerary on LH or LX is operating that could also work.
Interesting...If its airside intnl-intnl transit I understand. But if one were to enter the UK , take a break (as OP suggests) of a day or more (while remaining quarantined during) are there no steps taken to prevent the onward trip to LPA (which I assume is not essential and a holiday )? The "lockdown" rules against holiday travel don't apply? (especially for a UK passport holder) ..

Bob
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

I don't see why LON has to be involved on the way to LPA.
I have luggage in my car parked at LHR which I need to pick up, and leave some luggage from this trip behind!

I suspect the OP had the India flights booked a long time ago. The Canary Islands idea just came up recently.
Not booked anything yet but I plan to make use of the VS Black Friday sale. Have a previously cancelled LPA booking which I'll rebook to new dates.

Interesting...If its airside intnl-intnl transit I understand. But if one were to enter the UK , take a break (as OP suggests) of a day or more (while remaining quarantined during) are there no steps taken to prevent the onward trip to LPA (which I assume is not essential and a holiday )? The "lockdown" rules against holiday travel don't apply? (especially for a UK passport holder) ..
You're right, travel to the airport for starting a leisure trip would be against the rule (if before 2nd Dec, who knows about afterwards). But I am not planning to stay overnight, my point earlier was just that its permitted, however I missed the nuance about travel to the airport. The reason I'm considering going via MAD on the way out is because the connection to the direct BA flight is a little tight given the need to get to my car to swap luggage and then change terminals. But in any case, I'll be doing a same day transfer.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:28 pm

Ah... the London luggage business makes sense...Otherwise there are BOM-FRA-LPA and BOM-AMS-LPA options on certain dates. I know some hotels now have a "essential travel" proof requirement at check in so was wondering if same is not required at airport check in.

Bob
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Bob
spending a night in a hotel whilst transiting is fine under current rules. I don’t see the transit in London is a problem whether it’s same day airside or overnight going to a hotel.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:13 am

Worth noting that the Canary Islands have their own regional law which requires a negative test no older than 72hrs to be presented when checking into tourist accommodation (hotels and licenced private rentals).

Make sure you factor this in when calculating the timing of your test. You will need to present a negative PCR at your first entry point in Spain (MAD if you go that route) and again at a hotel on the islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.