Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC family and friends, no e-mail for kids?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze

Just a quickie, couldn't seem to find an answer, looking to add my children to my family and friends, but they are pretty young and as a result don't have an e-mail? As a result it seems I can't add them to the account (it won't accept my own e-mail). Is there a way of adding them without an e-mail?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:14 am

If it insists on email, you could just create a gmail/other free email account to use, then set it to forward to yourself.

If you use basic gmail, dots in names are ignored, so you could add different dots in your existing name and the emails would end up in your 'base' gmail inbox.

https://support.google.com/mail/answ...th%40gmail.com

i.e.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

...all end up in the same inbox.
Giblets likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just set up emails for your kids so you have a chance that their names are still available. They'll thank you for it later (if email still exists then).
Giblets likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Easiest to simply establish an email with any free service which provides free forwarding and leave it at that.

An email address has become as ubiquitous as a name!
Giblets likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
If you're even slightly tech-savvy get yourself a domain name e.g. giblets-dot-something then you can set up <dad>@giblets..., <mum>@giblets..., <kid1>@giblets... etc to forward to individual email addresses or a family email/gmail account as required
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some have just used their own email for their children. See for example:
Infant BAEC member - what email address?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
If you're even slightly tech-savvy get yourself a domain name e.g. giblets-dot-something then you can set up <dad>@giblets..., <mum>@giblets..., <kid1>@giblets... etc to forward to individual email addresses or a family email/gmail account as required
Don't even need to be very knowledgeable on technology - doesn't cost much and no emails being stored on 3rd party environments ; great way to do it

Also really good when those sending emails make a mistake on the name - as long as the domain is correct, the email will arrive
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I concur. As someone who's been running DNS, mail, other stuff on interesting ports, and operating multiple domains for > 25 years, I was surprised that when adding my newborn to my F&F/ creating their own BAEC a/c I couldn't check a box that said "too young for own email, use mine"

So I did some of the options mentioned above, but thought it was odd that said box didn't exist.

Last edited by happyintheair; Jul 7, 2020 at 4:46 pm Reason: typo, clarification
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Also really good when those sending emails make a mistake on the name - as long as the domain is correct, the email will arrive
And as mentioned on the 'hacked' thread yesterday, you can use different email addresses for different account which makes it easier to deal with spam and offers more security than using the same email address everywhere.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
Cheers, yeh, I have a couple of e-mails in my own name, so ended up using one of them, guessing this problem is more likely with very old or very young travellers.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Surprisingly, giblets.co.uk is available
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:57 am

It's always a good idea to secure a gmail address for your child as soon as you've determined his or her name. Avoids the problem of not having your chosen address being available when the child (eventually) gets to it. I've even heard of people who cyber-booked their children's email addresses while pregnant!
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It's always a good idea to secure a gmail address for your child as soon as you've determined his or her name. Avoids the problem of not having your chosen address being available when the child (eventually) gets to it. I've even heard of people who cyber-booked their children's email addresses while pregnant!
There are a lot of ways of heaving an email address other than gmail. no need to worry about securing an email address with a specific company - gmail isnt the be all and end all of email
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are a lot of ways of heaving an email address other than gmail. no need to worry about securing an email address with a specific company - gmail isnt the be all and end all of email
But it is the most common, and easily recitable over the phone.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
But it is the most common, and easily recitable over the phone.
unless deliberateky choosing to have a bizarre email address, any email address is likely to be easily given over the phone

Being common doesn't make it better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.