Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ processes to allow COVID-19 credits to be used for future bookings.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club

Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:46 pm

Am I missing the refund bit? It seems to be an interim work around to split and merge credits and uses the refund process to pay for the new ticket(s).
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: NZ*E
thanks for this, so if I am reading correctly - those who had a ticket and now held in credit will need to book with them on a NEW booking that has equal or greater value, then can process a refund for the new ticket back to the credit card?

[edit]:- sorry for the spam..
I actually have 2 bookings currently that fits this - one is domestic, which is quite straight forward - however....
I have one that was originally paid for by APD, and because of COVID, I need to rebook, so I have actually paid in CASH the fare difference.. I wonder what happens here? Or this does not apply since that booking is not essentially in credit now? Goodness, it is getting extremely expensive
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by mmonster
thanks for this, so if I am reading correctly - those who had a ticket and now held in credit will need to book with them on a NEW booking that has equal or greater value, then can process a refund for the new ticket back to the credit card?
Yes . . . I have not posted the whole pages of process but yes, simply.

It could be some financial exposure work around after a line in the sand has been drawn . . .
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:16 pm

[edit]:- sorry for the spam..
I actually have 2 bookings currently that fits this - one is domestic, which is quite straight forward - however....
I have one that was originally paid for by APD, and because of COVID, I need to rebook, so I have actually paid in CASH the fare difference.. I wonder what happens here? Or this does not apply since that booking is not essentially in credit now? Goodness, it is getting extremely expensive
Its says the original cancellation conditions will be applied to the new ticket (point 2). Original ticket may have been refunded but won't you still need to pay for the new ticket. So process will sum to $zero?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Its says the original cancellation conditions will be applied to the new ticket (point 2). Original ticket may have been refunded but won't you still need to pay for the new ticket. So process will sum to $zero?
maybe I have mis-understood that - so for point 2, if the ticket was originally non-refundable, it would remain as non-refundable? I thought the point of this is to refund everything?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:40 pm

maybe I have mis-understood that - so for point 2, if the ticket was originally non-refundable, it would remain as non-refundable? I thought the point of this is to refund everything?
My reading this is that it is a work around process for travel agents for allowing credits to be used on different journeys, as AirNZ is working on the new system (current ETA late July). The process just happens to use a refund of the original ticket, once have spent equal or more on a new ticket.

Well that is how I read the process. I don't see how to use this process to get actually get a refund. Unless the TA starts doing tickets for other people using the credits of other customers. But assume this will be covered in the fine print.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As already pointed out this is not Air NZ giving refunds - it is a process that allows customers booking new flights to be able to effectively use their held credit as part of a new booking of equal or greater value.

This is something you could do by calling the call centre if you had booked directly with Air NZ, but for a T/A there was no effective process for doing this.

Once the T/A has ticketed the new flights, a refund will be issued for the original booking which is in effect just a workaround to be able to use the held credit.

Last edited by sbiddle; Jun 3, 2020 at 9:58 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:31 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

I have corrected the thread title to accurately describe the effect of the Air NZ processes discussed upthread. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:11 pm

What about status points?

If AirNZ convert booked and paid for travel to Airpoints, which in the face of it seems a fair way of doing things, one consideration when using the points for future travel is that of status points. Under current rules using Airpoints for a booking attracts neither more Airpoints or status points.
if AirNZ does use this method of accounting for refunds, it needs to change the rules for using the Airpoints added.

​​​
​​​
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by zoovet
If AirNZ convert booked and paid for travel to Airpoints, which in the face of it seems a fair way of doing things, one consideration when using the points for future travel is that of status points. Under current rules using Airpoints for a booking attracts neither more Airpoints or status points.
if AirNZ does use this method of accounting for refunds, it needs to change the rules for using the Airpoints added.

​​​
​​​
Which is one of the many reasons why they won't (and can't) do this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 3:18 pm

What about crediting the status points and Airponts that would have been earned on the initial booking and then converting the fares to Airpoints? I know there will be nits out there that will say the earn will be different on new bookings compared to the old but to me this doesn't seem like a huge issue. This should also be relatively easy to do from a technical standpoint as they load both from external sources all the time.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by prp343
What about crediting the status points and Airponts that would have been earned on the initial booking and then converting the fares to Airpoints? I know there will be nits out there that will say the earn will be different on new bookings compared to the old but to me this doesn't seem like a huge issue. This should also be relatively easy to do from a technical standpoint as they load both from external sources all the time.
The big issue for me for that idea is I would want the SP in the new SP year, not the current one, which we got a banked year or extension to cover. If they were to dump the SP in the current in a lot of cases they would be worthless as I guess most people will be relying on the banked year or extension and won't hit the retain number of points.
Beano likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.