Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel Car Booking - not a BA Holiday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Cancel Car Booking - not a BA Holiday

Has anyone had to cancel an Avis car hire booked through BA as a standalone booking in the current situation?

I think the usual BA cancellation fee is 20%. I had an email from Avis the other day saying they were waiving all cancellation charges, but as I'm not directly booked with them I'm not sure if that's going to help.

I know I can call up, but I'm still 3 weeks away so it's not a priority.

Thanks, Jon.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:04 am

I had BA cancel a car rental booking even though I still planned to use it. Refund received so no real problem apart from having to re book.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

That would be the ideal situation - BA cancel the booking so I get a full refund.

Whilst I'm fairly sure the FCO advice for only essential foreign travel will be extended to cover the 18th April, I'm not sure BA systems are clever enough to pick this up (along with the fact that they've already cancelled my flights, and Austria has closed tourist accommodation).

So I'm fairly sure I'll have to be the one doing the cancelling.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You can use the voucher request web page and get a credit for the full value. Just enter the booking reference for the car booking. I cancelled one a couple of days ago and I have notice of the voucher already... not the actual voucher yet though as that will take a while longer I expect.

BTW... mine was for 28th April
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you looking for a refund or a credit?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Are you looking for a refund or a credit?
A refund - ideally for the full cost.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:39 pm

Have just cancelled two standalone BA car hire bookings with Avis for Cape Town. Full refund received.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
OH had a car booked with Avis through BA from Miami tomorrow. It was cancelled and refunded without requesting.
Check MMB using the pnr on your original email receipt. You might find it says cancelled and refunded. Car bookings go through BA holidays. They appeared to us to be reasonably organised.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by acucobol
Have just cancelled two standalone BA car hire bookings with Avis for Cape Town. Full refund received.
Did you do this online, or did you have to call to request the booking is cancelled?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I called about another flight and while there asked for a refund on the car booking... I was told that 20% would be the cancellation fee but directed to the voucher web page for a full-value voucher.

There seems a fair bit of inconsistency over refunds/vouchers.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Did you do this online, or did you have to call to request the booking is cancelled?
Had to ring.
[email protected] likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
Another data point....just rang to cancel a Budget car only booking for Calgary, booked through BA.com (holidays). Full refund on its way. Done very quickly and efficiently
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Had to ring.
Who did you ring? Trying to help my parents who have a standalone booking that was booked on BA.com for Budget, but the booking was linked to flights that have been cancelled (but not a BA holidays package). They've had the flights cancelled and applied for a voucher, but are now stuck on how to cancel the rental car. Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
I was within 72 hours of the travel date (and car booking) so called 03444930787 (BA Holidays, hotels+cars line)
flyingbee likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I had a car only booking. Was waiting for T-72 hours but got an email today saying the booking has been cancelled and a voucher issued. So no choice in the matter of refund vs voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.