Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel Car Booking - not a BA Holiday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
I had a prepaid car booking for Easter auto-cancelled this morning by BA - received an email to say a voucher would be forthcoming. I called the BA Holidays number - recorded message saying all calls have been consolidated and call the general BA customer service numbers. Called the GGL line - voucher is the only option (no refund) - bookings for cars/hotels being autocancelled and replaced by vouchers. So far up to 16 April b ujt BA will be working through later dates and cancelling these as well. Would have preferred a refund - money in my account rather than BA's - but it is what it is
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by pondhopper79
I had a car only booking. Was waiting for T-72 hours but got an email today saying the booking has been cancelled and a voucher issued. So no choice in the matter of refund vs voucher.
Originally Posted by Ned1968
I had a prepaid car booking for Easter auto-cancelled this morning by BA - received an email to say a voucher would be forthcoming. I called the BA Holidays number - recorded message saying all calls have been consolidated and call the general BA customer service numbers. Called the GGL line - voucher is the only option (no refund) - bookings for cars/hotels being autocancelled and replaced by vouchers. So far up to 16 April b ujt BA will be working through later dates and cancelling these as well. Would have preferred a refund - money in my account rather than BA's - but it is what it is
I hope these are BA-generic Vouchers, and not specifically Car Hire? We only ever do (did!) one trip a year where we rent a veeehickle (IAD). I would prefer my £535 returned in money!!
PS: A stand-alone booking with Avis through BA, separate PNR on the voucher.

There’s also the not-insignificant BA Holidays booking involving £5,496.97. I certainly want that in Cash.

Last edited by T8191; Apr 2, 2020 at 8:03 am
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
The voucher is BA-wide i.e. can be used for flights, cars etc. Valid for 12 months.

Might be worth calling the Gold line before they proactively cancel the package booking and seeing if you can get a refund for the total amount instead of a voucher (easier if one of the component flights has already been cancelled or changed)
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Ned1968. Car related trip is July, the Holiday is September. A long wait, and much may have changed by then ... or not! 🙂
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just a final update. I had done nothing about my booking as it was still a couple of weeks away.

I’ve just received an email stating that they are cancelling the car hire and I’ll get a full refund back onto my original card in 7-10 days.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by flyingbee
Who did you ring? Trying to help my parents who have a standalone booking that was booked on BA.com for Budget, but the booking was linked to flights that have been cancelled (but not a BA holidays package). They've had the flights cancelled and applied for a voucher, but are now stuck on how to cancel the rental car. Thanks.
A late update - before my parents sis anything they were proactively contacted to say the booking was cancelled and issued with a refund.

Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: BA
I had car hire booked through BA for AVIS next week, had an email the other day offering Voucher to full value or refund minus the fee. Before I had replied to the email they called so have taken the voucher, they wouldn't give full refund back on card despite asking. Happy with the voucher as it suits (need car hire later in year) however for the various flights I have coming up in the next month or so I will be seeking refund as I will be in danger of having more vouchers than I will actually be able to use as other flights already booked and paid for, assuming able to travel.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Ginge
I had car hire booked through BA for AVIS next week, had an email the other day offering Voucher to full value or refund minus the fee.
What was the ‘fee’? I have an IAD upstream, which is the only place I ever rent from AVIS. Not knowing when we will ever get back there, I would prefer a slice of the £535 already paid up front.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: BA
The 20% cancellation fee.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Had a standalone car rental with Avis at OGG in Maui, left it to T-48 with no sign of it being cancelled so called today and asked for a refund, was told that there will be a 20% cancellation fee. Slightly miffed as others have noted Avis have removed cancellation fees. Was NOT offered a voucher.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:57 am

I think I posted this on another thread. I had a standalone car booking with BA, and separately booked flights also with BA. BA cancelled the flights. I called to cancel the car. Was asked why, and I responded that it was because of the cancelled flights. Car was refunded in full to the credit card.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by ExAbz
Had a standalone car rental with Avis at OGG in Maui, left it to T-48 with no sign of it being cancelled so called today and asked for a refund, was told that there will be a 20% cancellation fee. Slightly miffed as others have noted Avis have removed cancellation fees. Was NOT offered a voucher.
That's strange, I also had a standalone rental at OGG for 9-14 April, it was cancelled last month by BA and was refunded within days in full.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Again, this all seems a bit inconsistent. We booked car hire through BA but separately to the (avios) flight bookings - ie not together as a 'BA Holiday'. Although we were expecting the flights to be cancelled, and wondering what we would do about the car, the first thing we heard was an email from BA Holidays:
As you may already be aware, your travel dates and destination have been affected by measures introduced in response to coronavirus COVID-19. We are sorry to advise that this means we are unable to provide your British Airways Holidays arrangements as originally booked.....

We will be processing a full refund of your British Airways Holidays.
The money appeared almost immediately followed by another email, as if we had asked for the cancellation:

We are sorry that you no longer require your British Airways non-flight arrangements, and as requested, these have been cancelled.
Clearly someone knew that the flights would be cancelled but they didn't tell us that until a few days later.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by OddJobMan
That's strange, I also had a standalone rental at OGG for 9-14 April, it was cancelled last month by BA and was refunded within days in full.
Mine was 18th - 26th, the separate flights, BA Amex 2-4-1 to the West coast on one PNR and then AA to OGG on another were all cancelled and refunds taken. AA were even proactive about it and phoned me up a week before the flight date to see what I wanted to do.

When on the phone to cancel the car, I mentioned the separate cancelled flights and the agent asked for the PNR and passed that (the BA one) on to the holiday team while I was on the call. I wonder if I didn't get a full refund because the BA flight wasn't to OGG?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by ExAbz
Mine was 18th - 26th, the separate flights, BA Amex 2-4-1 to the West coast on one PNR and then AA to OGG on another were all cancelled and refunds taken. AA were even proactive about it and phoned me up a week before the flight date to see what I wanted to do.

When on the phone to cancel the car, I mentioned the separate cancelled flights and the agent asked for the PNR and passed that (the BA one) on to the holiday team while I was on the call. I wonder if I didn't get a full refund because the BA flight wasn't to OGG?
Possibly, my separate flights were all the way through to OGG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.