Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help regarding BA009 LHR-BKK 25 Feb [System says passport not valid??]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Just checked in online for BA09 to Bangkok tomorrow and got the following message

The travel document details you have entered are not valid for this flight

Before you go to the airport, please check the passport and visa requirements for your journey using the [IATA Travel Centre].

You will be unable to fly without the correct travel documents.

Unfortunately, our contact centre staff cannot help you resolve issues regarding passports and visas.

Our trip is for 21 days so no Visa needed and our passport details are all correct. I had checked twice when we booked it and also checked again on the IATA link above. We are taking internal flights (not on BA) then leaving from Singapore so is that anything to do with it?

Can anyone advise me as to what is going on as really stressed as to what it means and whether we will get on our flight tomorrow
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi Karen, What passports are you and your party flying on?

Defiantly not ideal and can understand stress levels must be high.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wdcosta117
Hi Karen, What passports are you and your party flying on?
Both have British passports
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It would be strange for there to be a Visa problem for Thailand- it's one of the more relaxed countries when it comes to these things- so my inclination is that it might be an IT glitch, but it would be helpful to know more about the passports as per the follow up post.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Karen762
Both have British passports
Are either of them about to expire? Has anyone in the party previously lived in Thailand? This does seem odd.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
It just means they want to check the documents.

It happens sometimes.

I would not worry about it.

A similar post last wee k frim someone going to amsterdam.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Neither of us have been to Thailand before and both passports have years left on them.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is also possible that you made an error in your data entry which causes the system to flag your e-ticket. Nothing which can't be rectified at the counter.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
It just means they want to check the documents.

It happens sometimes.

I would not worry about it.

A similar post last wee k frim someone going to amsterdam.
OK but why would it say the documents are not valid? Why wouldn't it just say they want to check our documents?

Its the Not Valid bit that concerns me and I am very worried!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
If you have full UK Passports and a return ticket, and your passports are valid for 6+ months from date of return, worry not, it's a glitch.
AJA_ and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi,

I would not worry about it, see the few post below which all had a successful outcome when getting the same message :

The travel documents details you have entered are not valid for this flight (post 15)
Invalid travel document - [Online checkin for] BIO-LHR (post 11)
'Travel documents not valid' (post 7)

Seems to be an issue which can be resolved at the airport, maybe just get there a little earlier than planned. There are a few more examples I can pull up if it would help calm the nerves. One of the posts mentioned they contacted the twitter team - not sure if you can do this and see what they say, i can only speak positively of the twitter team so hopefully they can alleviate any concerns.

Last edited by ens100; Feb 24, 2020 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ens100
Hi,

I would not worry about it, see the few post below which all had a successful outcome when getting the same message :

The travel documents details you have entered are not valid for this flight (post 15)
Invalid travel document - [Online checkin for] BIO-LHR (post 11)
'Travel documents not valid' (post 7)

Seems to be an issue which can be resolved at the airport, maybe just get there a little earlier than planned. There are a few more examples I can pull up if it would help calm the nerves. One of the posts mentioned they contacted the twitter team - not sure if you can do this and see what they say, i con only speak positively of the twitter assistance so hopefully they can alleviate any concerns.
Phew! Those posts have calmed me down somewhat! Hopefully there won't be a manic hysterical post from me tomorrow lunchtime. Will also contact them via Twitter just so I can sleep tonight

Many thanks for your help and fingers crossed.
AJA_, ens100 and wdcosta117 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Yes don't panic. IF you happened to miss key a number in one of the passports or mis spelt a name by just one letter then there can be a mismatch / conflict and that's more than likely why they were deemed invalid. My middle name is Nathaniel and I once got this because I entered Nathaneil and didn't pick up on it despite checking several times just as you have. On check in it was sorted straight away without fuss or hassle save my blushes of spelling my own name wrong!
AJA_ likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
This happened to me once. I had renewed my passport between booking the flight and actually flying. It turned out that the booking in BA's systems had not acknowledged the updated passport details I subsequently entered and recorded a mismatch between the old passport details and the new passport. It was fixed at check-in.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
This happened to me once. I had renewed my passport between booking the flight and actually flying. It turned out that the booking in BA's systems had not acknowledged the updated passport details I subsequently entered and recorded a mismatch between the old passport details and the new passport. It was fixed at check-in.
Now that might be it!

Have renewed passport since I booked the trip but had updated my passport details online when I got the new one

Fingers crossed it's that simple
ens100, AJA_, T8191 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.