Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay for checked bags with DL at OLCI for flight on AF metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Purchased tickets with DL for a DL-coded flight that is on AF metal.

Will OLCI be through DL? If so, will I be able to pay for checked bags at OLCI with (via) DL? Reasoning: Want to use Amex travel credit. Can't use on AF luggage purchase.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Purchased tickets with DL for a DL-coded flight that is on AF metal.

Will OLCI be through DL? If so, will I be able to pay for checked bags at OLCI with (via) DL? Reasoning: Want to use Amex travel credit. Can't use on AF luggage purchase.
OLCI will be done with AF.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
OLCI will be done with AF.
Not what I wanted to learn, but what I had suspected.

The reason I had some hope was that in the e-mail that DL sent after booking, there was the following paragraph:

You can now check-in on Delta for your Air France operated flight or make standard changes to your flight on delta.com including time, date and destination. Explore all of your options here.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Not what I wanted to learn, but what I had suspected.

The reason I had some hope was that in the e-mail that DL sent after booking, there was the following paragraph:
Forgot about that, it doesnt always work so I just always follow the old process (via operating carrier) that always works. It might allow OLCI via DL since you booked via DL and with DL codeshare number. However I dont believe it will allow you to pay for bags via DL OLCI. In your case the fees are due to AF, not DL regardless of fact you booked a DL codeshare via DL. Even if it does, it will likely show as AF and not DL.

I know when I book a KLM fare for non JV/non codeshare via DL, it shows up as KLM even though DL processed the charge.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Forgot about that, it doesnt always work so I just always follow the old process (via operating carrier) that always works. It might allow OLCI via DL since you booked via DL and with DL codeshare number. However I dont believe it will allow you to pay for bags via DL OLCI. In your case the fees are due to AF, not DL regardless of fact you booked a DL codeshare via DL. Even if it does, it will likely show as AF and not DL.

I know when I book a KLM fare for non JV/non codeshare via DL, it shows up as KLM even though DL processed the charge.
Thanks again. It's all kind of slippery, at least from my perspective.

I booked the ticket, through DL, as a basic economy. I figured I would get seats and baggage as extras, to use up some airline credits on various credit cards. Because of some glitch on the DL site, I had to call in to get the original tickets booked. At that time, I asked the DL rep who was booking the tickets if I would be able to get seats, even though it was basic economy, if I called in or did this separately. The rep said, "Well, maybe because it is AF..." and put me on hold to check. When the rep came back, they said that, yeah, sure enough, you could do that.

At this point fate intervened: The call got dropped, although not before the rep had booked the basic economy tickets. So, the next day, I called into DL, and asked about how to pay for seats, even though these were basic economy tickets. I was told, "Apologies, but that first rep told you wrong [or words to this effect]: You can't pay for seats on a basic economy DL ticket."

I thanked the rep, and then I found the ticket number on the DL e-mail, and used that at AF to find the flights. Sure enough -- thanks, first DL rep ! -- I was able to pay for assigned seats at AF. I used my RC Visa, since AF is a no-go in the Amex airline-incidentals-reimbursement world. When I look at the tickets again in DL, on the one hand it still says that seats will be assigned at the airport. On the other hand, it also shows the AF-assigned seats. Since the actual flight is on AF metal, and there is a receipt with the seats and seat fees from AF, I figure that that part of this has worked out okay.

Which brings me back to the luggage: If I had just checked the boxes offering me to pay for bags when I bought the premium economy fare from DL (the glitch in the ability to buy the ticket on the website, mentioned above, had to do with a concurrent aircraft switch -- nothing to do with trying to pay for luggage), I would have been paying to DL, right? Because on the credit card for the tickets, it says DL (not AF).

Anyhow, I'll give it (OLCI at DL, and attempt to pay for luggage at that point, to DL) a shot and post back here if by some chance it works. Having threaded the needle in one direction with the seats, I'm looking to catch a break coming from the other direction regarding the baggage fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.