Search

Hold Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Hold Flights

Hey all,

Out of curiosity on the BA site if it says 1 seat remaining at a price if I pay the £10 to hold the flight prices will it then show the new seat price straight away to anyone else?

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OMG, I thought you were planning on flying as cargo!

Sorry, no idea. Apologies!
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It... should, I believe.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
On a few occasions when my wife and I book tickets under a seperate booking and there is a "n seat left" it changes immediately to either a new price or "n-1 seat left". There was a big clamp down on false marketing / pressure selling so i think they have to mean what they write.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If every stays the same, yes the hold booking takes one - the last - seat out of inventory. But here's the rub: nothing stays the same for long in aviation. So let's say that bucket goes to zero briefly, the revenue management computer could say:
- we are shifting seats quickly so we are going to go up a bucket / fares
- actually it took longer than expected to sell that last seat, we butter put out some more seats in the same bucket.
- alternatively it could say "that was according to plan", so we will put another 1 seat in that inventory bucket and see what happens.
- regardless of any of the above, buckets and fare basis have overlaps, the cheapest N will often be cheaper than an expensive O. So the first scenario above is fully consistent with fares going down!

Bit late at night to be going into too much detail, so here is the full and accurate answer: maybe.
golfmad, The_Editor and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
All other things staying the same, that is what should happen. Of course if BA reprice the route, or another held seat is released, or someone cancels a seat or there is a glitch or, or, or then all bets are off.

Edit: beaten to it by the comprehensive CWS reply.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If every stays the same.
A very comprehensive response but you missed the chance to use 'ceteris paribus' for a second time on the BA forum in the same day.

As stated it's a really complex system but I would expect it to remove the last seat for at least a moment while the algorithms do their thing. After that one could make a case for a variety of things happening.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In addition to cws’s excellent summary of why ‘everything stays the same’ is a useless concept in aviation, I would add that so is “everyone else”.

in short, the op being offered, say, N, on his search doesn’t mean that O is not available. It may be there for people who started their journey elsewhere, have a different connection, another place of issue, a different return etc etc.

so there is a double Ceteris paribus (request granted! ) condition here: it is about everything staying the same and “everyone else” so long as their search is exactly similar to that of the op which is another big if...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.