Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fares help! £11K vs. £2400 ... OSL-LON-HKG-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hello
I just tried to book this by phone with BA (Silver line), and despite trying various combinations and currencies (and confirming that the I class bucket was still available on all legs), the agent could only get a fare of over £11,000 (fully flexible).

He tried the fare construction codes nelow from ITA to no avail, and has now sent it to the Fares dept to have a look at:
OSL BA X/LON CX X/HKG CX MEL 1165.69IAARRNO8 CX X/HKG CX LON BA OSL 1165.69IAARRNO8 1S168.55 NUC 2499.93 END ROE 8.578601 XT 17.90G2 9.70ZN 26.00GB 35.16UB 36.00G3 10.00I5 32.60AU 2.20WG 22.80WY 46.40YQ 235.20YR

Any idea what's going on?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
As it is a CX fare not a BA one, have you tried booking through CX?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
Use a travel agent like Propeller. https://propellertravel.com/pro-travel-enq/
MSPeconomist, Stez and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Airprox
As it is a CX fare not a BA one, have you tried booking through CX?
agreed. Either CX or via a TA is the way to go I can’t imagine BA has any interest in selling CX fares.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KARFA

agreed. Either CX or via a TA is the way to go I can’t imagine BA has any interest in selling CX fares.
BA has no interest in selling cheap CX fares, but might get enough for the BA segment on the fare that's over ten thousand pounds.......

Still, it's surprising that BA doesn't have a nice exEU fare, perhaps with more of the segments being BA operated.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I’ve been looking at fares to MEL in Feb, I agree we need a good ba ex EU
Old May 22, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Fair (fare?) point.

Naivety/newbieism on my part - I did an OSL-SYD run earlier in the year that involved one BA (LHR-HKG /SIN-LHR) segment in each leg (rest were CX or QF) and that lulled me into thinking it’s as simple as (a) find date on ITA Matrix, (b) ring and book, with anyone.

I guess that doesn’t work when there’s not much in it for them, as you say...
Old May 22, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

(PS I would be planning to drop the last leg, so don’t want to book through TA - or to put it better, if I did then I know I definitely should take the last leg, and would, but avoiding that is why I would rather avoid the TA option).
Old May 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by GCab
Fair (fare?) point.

Naivety/newbieism on my part - I did an OSL-SYD run earlier in the year that involved one BA (LHR-HKG /SIN-LHR) segment in each leg (rest were CX or QF) and that lulled me into thinking it’s as simple as (a) find date on ITA Matrix, (b) ring and book, with anyone.

I guess that doesn’t work when there’s not much in it for them, as you say...
It's not about there being much in it for anyone but has everything to do with whose fare it is. Earlier in the year, the longhaul segment was a BA flight, which means it was a BA fare. With the flights you want to book now, longhaul are CX flights and BA are only feeder flights. It is the CX fare and CX requires for it to be issued on CX (or KA) stock, which BA can't do. You should call CX or a travel agent.
GCab likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
It's not about there being much in it for anyone but has everything to do with whose fare it is. Earlier in the year, the longhaul segment was a BA flight, which means it was a BA fare. With the flights you want to book now, longhaul are CX flights and BA are only feeder flights. It is the CX fare and CX requires for it to be issued on CX (or KA) stock, which BA can't do. You should call CX or a travel agent.
Thanks for this!
Old May 22, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If you are going to do that from the get go then price up the trip but ending in London not OSL
Old May 22, 2019, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If you are going to do that from the get go then price up the trip but ending in London not OSL
Yes, I was going to say. I haven't double checked but usually this sort of fare would not necessarily be more expensive if booked to terminate in London, provided a correct point of sale and departure city was respected.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
At the very least I always price up this option when researching fares. as well as direct LON fares and the 'full' ex-EU version and often it's not that much more expensive and it does spare any angst of what 'punishment' will be meted out if you do miss the last leg.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I was going to say. I haven't double checked but usually this sort of fare would not necessarily be more expensive if booked to terminate in London, provided a correct point of sale and departure city was respected.
Ah - my naivety again. I assumed finishing in London would turn it into some kind of open-jaw price fiesta and lose the benefit of the ex-EU bit.

If it's OSL-LON-HKG-MEL-HKG-LON, would the 'correct' point of sale (the one for best pricing) be UK or Norway?

Sorry for cluelessness.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GCab
If it's OSL-LON-HKG-MEL-HKG-LON, would the 'correct' point of sale (the one for best pricing) be UK or Norway?
Almost certainly Norway / OSL, but do flip it to UK/LON or even HKG to double check.
jerry a. laska and littlefish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.