Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Need some suggestions for Family vacation 2020 edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Trying to do some family vacation planning. 2 adults, 2 kids 19 and 15. Originally wanted to go to Hawaii this year with our 2 companion passes, but SW is making that difficult from the East Coast. So I am looking into other options. We will be staying at a Hyatt property and we have a club upgrade award. Our home airports are PHL or BWI.
Some of the options we have looked into are Andaz Costa Rica, Regency Aruba, Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen. Also a few concerns we have about each one.
Andaz- pricey food options and no club.
Aruba- construction
Playa Del carmen- Mexico travel bans? safety?

Last edited by hanly2; Jan 28, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hanly2
Trying to do some family vacation planning. 2 adults, 2 kids 19 and 15. Originally wanted to go to Hawaii this year with our 2 companion passes, but SW is making that difficult from the East Coast. So I am looking into other options. We will be staying at a Hyatt property and we have a club upgrade award. Our home airports are PHL or BWI.
Some of the options we have looked into are Andaz Costa Rica, Regency Aruba, Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen. Also a few concerns we have about each one.
Andaz- pricey food options and no club.
Aruba- construction
Playa Del carmen- Mexico
I'm unsure of what "Mexico" means as a concern in this context. If you're concerned about safety, there's plenty of neighborhoods in Philadelphia and Baltimore that are *significantly* less safe than Playa Del Carmen.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Martellus
I'm unsure of what "Mexico" means as a concern in this context. If you're concerned about safety, there's plenty of neighborhoods in Philadelphia and Baltimore that are *significantly* less safe than Playa Del Carmen.
I agree, my wife said that there is a travel ban right now. Idk. I actually think the Mexican location looks the best. lol
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I agree, my wife said that there is a travel ban right now. Idk. I actually think the Mexican location looks the best. lol
It is absolutely not a travel ban. There is a travel advisory that basically says be careful.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.htmlQuintana Roo state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, occur throughout the state. Most homicides appear to be targeted; however, criminal organization assassinations and turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents.

There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Quintana Roo state, which include tourist areas in: Cancun, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya.
hanly2 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:53 pm

Playa is wonderful. Tons of adventurous activities for the kids (check out X parks)... GH is a gorgeous property with excellent service. Club there is among the best I’ve ever experienced.

Safety has never been an issue in a dozen visits. Use common sense (don’t buy drugs or hang out in non-tourist areas) and you'll be fine. (Like most of the world...)
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:28 pm

Playa del carmen

Stayed there xmas for 4 nights w 23 & 27 yo.
then went to ziva. Daughter enjoyed playa better. Nice beach, easy to go to cozumel, xceret adventure, coba & tulum. Club lounge had substantial evening bites & comp drinks.
no issue with safety
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Yup Playa is relatively safe. Don't do stupid things. Lots of cruises are stopping around there too so the Governor has some incentive to keep trouble down.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by boerne
Yup Playa is relatively safe. Don't do stupid things. Lots of cruises are stopping around there too so the Governor has some incentive to keep trouble down.
I take issue with the term "relatively safe." Play -IS- safe. I feel safer there than I do in an average American city.... Bad things can happen anywhere ESPECIALLY if you are doing things to seek out trouble (like buying drugs). The odds of being the victim of a "random" violent crime in Playa are exceedingly low.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, SWA, Hyatt, Hilton
Playa is great. Been there many times. Don't walk around alone at night. Don't wander off with people you don't know. Don't get plastered in public.

You'll have a great time and your wife will feel pretty silly about the "travel ban" once you've arrived.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by foxraider
Playa is great. Been there many times. Don't walk around alone at night. Don't wander off with people you don't know. Don't get plastered in public.

You'll have a great time and your wife will feel pretty silly about the "travel ban" once you've arrived.
If you feel safe at your average American mall parking lot alone at night, then your fine in Playa in the main tourist areas.... Random (meaning you didn't do something to provoke it in some way) violence against tourists in Mexico is EXCEEDINGLY rare - don't believe the for-profit media which sells ads by scaring the sh*t out of you.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have any thoughts on Aruba?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Headed there next month with a 16 year-old. Signed him up for kite boarding lessons. Used points for the Hyatt and using suite upgrade. Have a confirmed family suite. Not sure how my 15 year-old will like the bunk beds but he at least has his own space and he's not sleeping on a pull-out. I feel fine with him walking up and down the strip. Aruba is very safe.

By the way, it looks like the adult pool is mostly complete. Construction should be almost done.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:48 pm

I think the 19 year old counts as an adult, if only technically.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:28 pm

Mexico is nicer than Aruba and a far better value. Aruba is about the least nice/scenic tropical vacation island I’ve experienced... but it’s still a tropical island.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:06 pm

I've stayed at the GH Playa with my wife and our two kids, and we'd definitely go again! The location is great to walk to everything, the club was really good, and there are so many activities in the area that you guys will love. The area is safe. We've been there three times (once at the Andaz Mayakoba as well), and never had any issues or worries. We've also been to other areas of Mexico, and depending on where you go, it's no more unsafe than back home.

Can't comment on Aruba or Costa Rica, but maybe the GH Baha Mar might be a good fit too??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.