Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Challenge Question - Royal Air Maroc flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold

Hi all, I got an unexpected status challenge, probably because I used to be Plat. I was granted Gold and 8 500 mile certificates. If I hit 7500 EQMs and 850 EQDs by the end of April, I keep gold for the year. I have most of my flying already planned through then but there’s a slight chance I would be taking a trip to Morocco on Royal Air Maroc. I know they are due to joint OneWorld on March 31. So would a trip from April 1-14 on RAM count for the status challenge?
Thanks for any insights!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Hi all, I got an unexpected status challenge, probably because I used to be Plat. I was granted Gold and 8 500 mile certificates. If I hit 7500 EQMs and 850 EQDs by the end of April, I keep gold for the year. I have most of my flying already planned through then but there’s a slight chance I would be taking a trip to Morocco on Royal Air Maroc. I know they are due to joint OneWorld on March 31. So would a trip from April 1-14 on RAM count for the status challenge?
Thanks for any insights!
That depends on the terms of the challenge, if it stipulates only AA (or JBV partners BA, IB, etc.) then no, but if any oneworld flights count then they obviously should count (assuming RAM joins 3/31 as scheduled).
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That depends on the terms of the challenge, if it stipulates only AA (or JBV partners BA, IB, etc.) then no, but if any oneworld flights count then they obviously should count (assuming RAM joins 3/31 as scheduled).
here are the terms and conditions:

• Register by 11:59 p.m. CT January 30, 2020, and before you travel for your EQMs and EQDs to count toward this promotion
  • Your AAdvantage® Gold status will be active within 24 hours of registering through April 19, 2020
  • Eligible tickets include purchased, published fares flown between the date you register and April 19, 2020
  • Qualifying eligible flights must be operated by American or marketed by American, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines or Qantas
  • Flights marketed and / or operated by codeshare partners not listed above aren’t eligible for this promotion
  • Bonus EQDs and EQMs don’t count toward this offer
  • After you reach the required thresholds, your elite status benefits will be extended immediately through January 31, 2021
  • You must requalify for elite status membership annually
I figure that since the RAM flight is available to book on AA’s site, it would be considered marketed by AA and therefore eligible?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for any insights!
Generally, only if flown as an AA codeshare.

To count for Challenges, AA has restricted to Joint Business partners: AA, AY, BA, IB, JL, QF.

here are the terms and conditions:

I figure that since the RAM flight is available to book on AA’s site, it would be considered marketed by AA and therefore eligible?
No. It doesn’t matter where you buy or who plates your ticket. The operating airline is the airline shown on your flight number for the segment. If you book the RAM marketed and operated flight, my assumption is you’ll be frustrated. To be assured of success, buy the AA marketed flight operated by AT / RAM - though it might cost more.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Generally, only if flown as an AA codeshare.

To count for Challenges, AA has restricted to Joint Business partners: AA, AY, BA, IB, JL, QF.

No. It doesn’t matter where you buy or who plates your ticket. The operating airline is the airline shown on your flight number for the segment. If you book the RAM marketed and operated flight, my assumption is you’ll be frustrated. To be assured of success, buy the AA marketed flight operated by AT / RAM - though it might cost more.

Right, that was my intention... buy it through the AA website, where the flight does have AA flight numbers (operated by RAM of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.