Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Upgrade Advice (ORD/CLT/PHL-LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I rarely travel internationally but am getting ready to book a trip to Europe. I am Platinum and am aware of how international upgrades work with the waitlist. That said, does anybody have advice on how to have a high chance of success securing an upgrade from Economy to Business?

I’m traveling IND-London (technically could go to any Oneworld hub) and would probably go through ORD unless a better option exists.

I’ve thought about looking into Expert Flyer for first class seat availability. Beyond that, I’m not sure if there’s anything else I should be doing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jbrody23
Hi All,

I rarely travel internationally but am getting ready to book a trip to Europe. I am Platinum and am aware of how international upgrades work with the waitlist. That said, does anybody have advice on how to have a high chance of success securing an upgrade from Economy to Business?

I’m traveling IND-London (technically could go to any Oneworld hub) and would probably go through ORD unless a better option exists.

I’ve thought about looking into Expert Flyer for first class seat availability. Beyond that, I’m not sure if there’s anything else I should be doing.

High changes of securing an upgrade I would suggest calling to pay the fare difference.

Are you doing a miles + copay upgrade?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Hi All,

It's impossible to say without knowing more details, mainly what dates you're looking to travel and what flexibility you have. Your upgrade chances generally depend much more on the day of the week and season you travel compared to which hub you connect through.

There is also a dedicated thread for this type of question just a few posts down on the main page, where I'm guessing this will get moved to...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
jbrody23 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I would go DFW. 77W has 52J, 772 has 37J, which is more than the a332 and 788 with 20.

The later DFW-LHR flights tend to be easier upgrades in my experience.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
High changes of securing an upgrade I would suggest calling to pay the fare difference.

Thanks - I am not going to do a fare difference but was planning to do a miles + copay.

Originally Posted by Antarius
I would go DFW. 77W has 52J, 772 has 37J, which is more than the a332 and 788 with 20.

The later DFW-LHR flights tend to be easier upgrades in my experience.
OK - thanks!
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 21, 2020 at 4:02 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:31 pm

That must be a typo for "high chances", but since you advise upfaring don't you mean "low chances", i.e., you think clearing an upgrade is unlikely?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:37 pm

You mean business class availability. Note that EF can show not just "seats" but all the buckets including upgrade space (C) and discount paid business (I). So if C happens to be available on a flight of interest, you can jump on it, and otherwise you can use I as an indicator of how fully AA expects to sell the cabin (more I now suggests a better chance of C eventually being released).
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Thee upgrade to London is probably a waste of money at 25k miles and $350, for such a short flight, I suggest you take the morning/day flight from ORD (if at a comparable price) and spend a night at an LHR hotel to rest for $50.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
That must be a typo for "high chances", but since you advise upfaring don't you mean "low chances", i.e., you think clearing an upgrade is unlikely?
The highest probability of securing an upgrade to J from Y would be to upfare into J and not play the mileage upgrade odds. By waiting for a mileage upgrade to clear the waitlist one risks J being extremely expensive to upfare close in if it looks like the mileage upgrade will not clear. With that said OP indicated they were not interested in upgrading by paying the fare difference so they likely are okay with flying in Y should the mileage upgrade not clear.

Without knowing the date/time of the flight it’s pretty difficult to determine the probability of clearing a mileage upgrade.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:23 pm

The highest probability of securing an upgrade to J from Y would be to upfare into J and not play the mileage upgrade odds. By waiting for a mileage upgrade to clear the waitlist one risks J being extremely expensive to upfare close in if it looks like the mileage upgrade will not clear. With that said OP indicated they were not interested in upgrading by paying the fare difference so they likely are okay with flying in Y should the mileage upgrade not clear.

Without knowing the date/time of the flight it’s pretty difficult to determine the probability of clearing a mileage upgrade.
Okay, sounds like you consider an upfare as a type of upgrade whereas I consider them as distinct. So I take it you were saying "To ensure high chances of securing an upgrade I would suggest calling to pay the fare difference." Now I think I understand what you meant.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Okay, sounds like you consider an upfare as a type of upgrade whereas I consider them as distinct. So I take it you were saying "To ensure high chances of securing an upgrade I would suggest calling to pay the fare difference." Now I think I understand what you meant.
Correct, yes I view paying the fare difference as a way of ‘upgrading’ technically. Maybe not everyone’s preferred way.

I could see others thinking of ‘upgrades’ as being specifically an exchange of instruments, miles, or complimentary.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
[QUOTE=cmd320;31978462]High changes of securing an upgrade I would suggest calling to pay the fare difference.

I think he was being a little tongue-in-cheek - basically saying if you really want to fly in J, buy a J ticket.

I haven't looked at that route, but when I was shopping for a round-trip to Italy from PHL, Y was $1500 and J was $3500. I think $1000 in each direction isn't bad. (I used SWU's.)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Get an EF membership and look for flights with C availability at booking. Also use it to identify the most underbooked flights in business class that will provide the best chance of an upgrade if you need to book the Y ticket now.

Get an EF membership.and use it to monitor your flights to see if C availability opens open- and the pounce on it.

If this fails prepare a sacrifice and pray to the upgrade gods.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
and 788 with 20.
That really is ridiculous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.