Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Silver - Credit Strategy for CX Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

BA Silver - Credit Strategy for CX Economy

I'm flying CX soon to Melbourne (LGW-HKG-MEL). In discounted economy class (V and N classes for the various segments). I'm a BA Silver.

I checked the mileage earnings rate and dismayed to find out that I'll only be getting 25% of the miles of Avios, and that despite my Silver tier status won't be getting any bonus.
I'm not a CX Asia Miles member yet, but it looks like Asia Miles members will get almost the full amount of miles as flown?

So I am looking to open a CX account and credit my miles there.
However, I have a question.
I have already put my BA Silver FF number in my booking on cathaypacific.com. And this has allowed me to choose extra legroom seats for free, which I have.

Q1: When is the best time to switch out my FF number in the booking? Now online, or during check-in at the airport?

Q2: Also presume even if I do have the CX number on the boarding pass at the airport, I can still get into the CX lounge by showing my BA Silver card number, at both LGW and HKG?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: QF WP
Paging Mwenenzi
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boonkoh
I'm flying CX soon to Melbourne (LGW-HKG-MEL). In discounted economy class (V and N classes for the various segments). I'm a BA Silver.

I checked the mileage earnings rate and dismayed to find out that I'll only be getting 25% of the miles of Avios, and that despite my Silver tier status won't be getting any bonus.
I'm not a CX Asia Miles member yet, but it looks like Asia Miles members will get almost the full amount of miles as flown?

However, I have a question.
I have already put my BA Silver FF number in my booking on cathaypacific.com. And this has allowed me to choose extra legroom seats for free, which I have.

Q1: When is the best time to switch out my FF number in the booking? Now online, or during check-in at the airport?

Q2: Also presume even if I do have the CX number on the boarding pass at the airport, I can still get into the CX lounge by showing my BA Silver card number, at both LGW and HKG?
1. I don't think it matters a great deal.

2. Yes, no problem. Just make sure they don't try to do you the favour of reversing your FF account entry.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
Paging Mwenenzi
Hello. Hello

Originally Posted by boonkoh

Why?
How often do you fly CX?
Earn is only half the game. Burn is the other half, if awards are the objective
A lot of low cost CX fares earn nothing. You are doing OK with 25% to BAEC

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the short to medium term.

Fortunately if flying after 1 Jan 2020 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...18-months.html
Otherwise 3 year hard expiry

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Have you included the tier points you'll earn in your calculations???

The calculator says you'll get 20 for LGW-HKG and 20 for HKG-MEL so 40 in total (and I assume 80 on the return)

You might be glad of those TPs when it comes to retaining silver in which case their value is higher than the avios.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Have you included the tier points you'll earn in your calculations???

The calculator says you'll get 20 for LGW-HKG and 20 for HKG-MEL so 40 in total (and I assume 80 on the return)

You might be glad of those TPs when it comes to retaining silver in which case their value is higher than the avios.
My assumption was that boonkoh had flown/planned enough TP's to renew Silver status (OW Sapphire) but not enough flown/planned for the next status level Gold(OW Emerald). So had flights to spare to put some where else to another ffp. But 1 return flight will not earn many Asia Miles ff miles.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Remember Asia Miles is only the ffp miles currency, if you want to earn TP with CX (or as they call them, Club Points), you'll have to join Marco Polo Club.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the insightful replies! Lots of things I hadn't considered, so I will mull it over before my flight.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realgaga
Remember Asia Miles is only the ffp miles currency, if you want to earn TP with CX (or as they call them, Club Points), you'll have to join Marco Polo Club.
For status with Marco Polo a fee is required. May be some ways to avoid the fee. (More of a question for the CX forum)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...polo-club.html
What is the enrolment fee to join Marco Polo Club?

The enrolment fee is USD100 to become a Green member in Marco Polo Club. To maintain Green membership, members must earn 20 club points within their membership year or pay an annual renewal fee of USD100.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It is also possible at HKG airport to change the FF number as you leave the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.