Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles - no expiry as long as there is activity every 18 months

Old Dec 9, 19, 9:55 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Original Poster

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob

A positive enhancement....as long as there is some activity (earning or spending), Asia Miles balances will no longer expire. If there is no activity, the whole balance will expire.

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/stayactive.html

We’ve listened to your needs when it comes to making the most of living a Life Rewarded. That’s why, starting from 1 January 2020, we’ll be making our Miles as timeless as the experiences and memories you create with us. They’ll no longer expire as long as you earn or use your Miles regularly. Get ready to discover all the rewarding possibilities with our new arrangement.
It does appear they are being "stingy" and quarantining miles earned before 1 January 2020 to expire under the old rule. This is going to make it unnecessarily complex for everyone.
percysmith and infinitium like this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Pay to transfer your old miles to the new system

Actually just discovered this in the Asiamiles T&C:

Miles earned under the time-based system can be renewed to the new activity-based system subject to the payment of a service fee (online: USD40; other channels: USD100). Miles earned under the new activity-based system cannot be renewed.

USD40 looks like a bargain to keep your existing miles alive indefinitely.
percysmith and feh like this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
One wonders why the change..Sure- a negative perspective, but perhaps, banks’ demand for card points tanked, inline with the public deeming asiamiles less valuable?
My last few credit card conversions have all been to Krisflyer.
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
I heard about this this change yesterday. I didn't believe it at first as it'd mean AM/CX passing up on (some) breakage revenue.

Originally Posted by jagmeets View Post
One wonders why the change..Sure- a negative perspective, but perhaps, banks’ demand for card points tanked, inline with the public deeming asiamiles less valuable?
My last few credit card conversions have all been to Krisflyer.
I agree - perhaps AM revenue is dropping faster than predicted that AM/CX feels it needs to throw us this bone.
I can imagine - too many casual HK members (the C9/uncle variety) discovering thousands of AM expiring before they can redeem anything, swearing "I'll never book Because Air again!!!!" - which is an empty threat iro revenue tickets/tour tickets, but may be followed through for credit cards by moving to cash rebate cards.

Also I'm finding the program is getting very difficult to teach to non-FTers/Hongkongcard.comers. Casual members don't want to learn how to learn website debugging, Tailored/Choice award, married segments and waitlisting with 100% miles. I guess the change is a small step to keep the program aspirational.
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Well- if so, then they can pat themselves on the back for applying band-aid where sutures are needed..and that’s just to stem the flow..forget about growing
Old Dec 9, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by dannyhk View Post
Are we sure this is not for blocks of 2000 AM? https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...vice-fees.html
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:24 am
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
Are we sure this is not for blocks of 2000 AM? https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...vice-fees.html
Very ambiguous phrasing. But lets believe its 40USD for all the miles ) (for now) https://hktravelblog.com/alliances-a...after-3-years/
Old Dec 10, 19, 4:57 am

Supply still the key.
If the award seats is too difficult to get(also due to idiot IT system), still not a sweet to general member.
synthkeys likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
It's about time CX does this. I wish it was at a min of 24 months, but match BA at 36 months. Now if only CX come out with a LT status program.
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by rickywk View Post
Supply still the key.
If the award seats is too difficult to get(also due to idiot IT system), still not a sweet to general member.
Supply of award seats you mean?

Because from a credit cards perspective I've seen banks back away from AM - CCB and Bankcomm are offering cash rebate promotions where they have offered points (miles) promotions in previous years.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Supply of award seats you mean?

Because from a credit cards perspective I've seen banks back away from AM - CCB and Bankcomm are offering cash rebate promotions where they have offered points (miles) promotions in previous years.
Award seats supply, it's difficult for general public to get a seats.
CCB/Bankcomm promote stay away from AM may due to they needs support boycott CX group.
But may be also due to they needs reserve some fund for branch renovation, the cash credit amount seems decreased.
percysmith and JordanWalker like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 8:29 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
I don't have Asia Miles account currently because of the hard expiry rule but this change may eventually lead me to open one if the credit card offers are attractive.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
I don't have Asia Miles account currently because of the hard expiry rule but this change may eventually lead me to open one if the credit card offers are attractive.
Me too.
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:04 pm

Got pretty excited until I read the quarantined thing for miles earned before Jan 1st, 2020. Nonetheless, a positive change. US CX CC (run by Synchrony, if I memory serves) has been sending me 65K AM offers, but I've declined mostly because of the expiration thing.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Got pretty excited until I read the quarantined thing for miles earned before Jan 1st, 2020. Nonetheless, a positive change. US CX CC (run by Synchrony, if I memory serves) has been sending me 65K AM offers, but I've declined mostly because of the expiration thing.
I'll probably sign up for one post-1/1/2020. Going to spend a bit of time during the holidays to read up on AM.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: