Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC126, why do they bother asking if you want to be woken-up for breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

OK - so this is just a straight-up complaint, for context, that's what I'm doing here.

I have taken the YVR - YYZ red-eye 3 times in the last month, in J, and each time the SD or FA comes around and asks if you want to be woken up for breakfast. I say yes, then they mark it down on the sheet, then they ask if I also want X or Y and I tell them and off they go to the next person.

All 3 times in the last month they have not woken me up, instead, they wake me up when it's time to land and put my seat up, and I ask them about the breakfast and they act all surprised. Now yes, mistakes happen, but 3/3 in 30 days not being woken up to eat, common guys. Why bother asking if you never do it? Frankly, it just puts me in a grumpy mood for the rest of the day.

I don't want to hit the AC customer service with yet another thing, but not sure what to do here. Do I get a giant sign and tape it to the pod that reads "wake me up"? Do I get a t-shirt made? what do I have to do to help AC deliver on the thing they say they are going to do?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: TK *G
I think it's probably just pure bad luck.

Although I have no direct experience, I have seen FAs waking up certain passengers during meal service, and I have heard FAs saying things like wake up 2A for breakfast.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
OK - so this is just a straight-up complaint, for context, that's what I'm doing here.

I have taken the YVR - YYZ red-eye 3 times in the last month, in J, and each time the SD or FA comes around and asks if you want to be woken up for breakfast. I say yes, then they mark it down on the sheet, then they ask if I also want X or Y and I tell them and off they go to the next person.

All 3 times in the last month they have not woken me up, instead, they wake me up when it's time to land and put my seat up, and I ask them about the breakfast and they act all surprised. Now yes, mistakes happen, but 3/3 in 30 days not being woken up to eat, common guys. Why bother asking if you never do it? Frankly, it just puts me in a grumpy mood for the rest of the day.

I don't want to hit the AC customer service with yet another thing, but not sure what to do here. Do I get a giant sign and tape it to the pod that reads "wake me up"? Do I get a t-shirt made? what do I have to do to help AC deliver on the thing they say they are going to do?
One thing I've noticed on several airlines is that some crew won't touch you. I often sleep with earplugs and noise cancelling headphones on. I cannot hear you. You need to nudge me.

The newer IFE systems have a "wake for food service" and "wake for beverage service" option. You could also try that.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You should've been on the redeye flight with jaysona and I where we both asked to NOT be woken up, but the FA came around and physically shook us awake for breakfast anyway.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Data point:

AC 754 red-eye SFO-YYZ. April 2019. At boarding as the FA came around to ask each pax if they want to be woken for breakfast pre-arrival, @jasdou and I said YES. Quick guess what the crew did?

NOTHING.

So no breakfast.

Some would ask: "Why is this so haaaaaaard for the crew to follow their own procedures?"

(And to those of you who are about to throw an insult or similar back this way, it's not a FWP. It's a failed SOP.)
Bohemian1, jc94 and ecc like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Seems to me that ACYYZ/SD started a thread a while back (might have been quite a while ago now) where we discussed whether people preferred being woken up. I think that was before they instituted the policy of formally asking you if you wanted to be woken for meals in J. Personally I always want the sleep, and while I am not in J that often I've not been woken in recent memory. They also always let me be in PY and Y as well. Thankfully.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Seems to me that ACYYZ/SD started a thread a while back (might have been quite a while ago now) where we discussed whether people preferred being woken up. I think that was before they instituted the policy of formally asking you if you wanted to be woken for meals in J. Personally I always want the sleep, and while I am not in J that often I've not been woken in recent memory. They also always let me be in PY and Y as well. Thankfully.
They've been asking me as long as I remember.

My answer is usually, "don't wake me up, but if I'm awake, I want the omelette".
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

@RatherBeInYOW

Here is the thread @ACYYZ/SD started

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
First post in that thread seems to indicate it's for the first meal service on an international flight - very different from breakfast where they ask if you want to be woken up.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
First post in that thread seems to indicate it's for the first meal service on an international flight - very different from breakfast where they ask if you want to be woken up.
@RatherBeInYOW mentioned the other thread, so I went looking, found it, posted it. Did my job.

That thread was also interesting in terms of a wide range of opinions on whether people wanted a meal or sleep or some combination. Some nice photos and images of stickers and signs that other airlines use to allow pax to indicate if they want to be woken.

AC crew walk around on the red-eyes and ask pax if they want to be woken for breakfast. Seems to me if pax say yes, crew should wake them for breakfast, not landing.

And there were also these posts.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I recall a YYZ-SFO on a 320 that had a 1+ hour mechanical delay.

I don't know what they had for Y, but they brought on a full bar (not one of the carts from the galley) for J, and they passed the snack basket around.

But this isn't really relevant to whether an FA should wake up a passenger

If you can take all the meal orders on the ground, as well as asking if you want to be woken up, there should be no problem.
Originally Posted by vernonc
West coast to YYZ red eye, I want to sleep. Its a 4 hr flight and its not worth messing that up for AC breakfast.
Long haul I prefer being woken for the main meal.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AC International Amenity Kits, over a decade ago IIRC, also had DND stickers that one couple place directly onto headsets or on the side of the J seat. Back then, these were adhered to by crew.

Even though AC now has the DND setting on the DreamCabin IFE screen and seat menu, I find the crews ignore these.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:22 pm

I find myself waking up every time regardless of my preference due to the movement of people and the smell of food when they serve breakfast.
So to me it's like "why bother telling them not to wake me up when I know I'm gonna wake up anyways".
Twickenham likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by 24left
@RatherBeInYOW mentioned the other thread, so I went looking, found it, posted it. Did my job.

That thread was also interesting in terms of a wide range of opinions on whether people wanted a meal or sleep or some combination. Some nice photos and images of stickers and signs that other airlines use to allow pax to indicate if they want to be woken.

AC crew walk around on the red-eyes and ask pax if they want to be woken for breakfast. Seems to me if pax say yes, crew should wake them for breakfast, not landing.
Listen, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Apparently I misremembered the thread and I seem to recall a time where they would not ask about waking you. Maybe I'm just old ;-)
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Listen, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Apparently I misremembered the thread and I seem to recall a time where they would not ask about waking you. Maybe I'm just old ;-)
@RatherBeInYOW

You remembered correctly the key elements: ACYYZ/SD and being woken up for meals. ^
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I would not be very happy if I was expecting breakfast and it wasn't served to me! Are they forgetting? Or is it just the fact that they don't want to touch you out of fear of (absurd) repercussions?

Bizarre...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.