Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Ranked one of the Worst Airlines in the world: JD Power

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

Breaking down the JD Power report for 2019, Air Canada has been ranked one of the worst major airlines for passenger satisfaction in the world. 1 point off from China Eastern and a few points off from United.

JD Power Website:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...sfaction-study

Commentary website on the AC part specifically:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/air-...zfpNvdq009rQZg
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: *$ Green
How do you get #1 airline in NA AND worst airline in the world at the same time?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
How do you get #1 airline in NA AND worst airline in the world at the same time?
Poor use of the bribery fund.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
There must be only one airline in NA.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
It's probably because of Canada's adverse weather.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:22 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by songsc
There must be only one airline in NA.
Due to the nature of my work I avoid travel to the US and UK as much as possible. WestJet only flies DH4s out of YFC, as does porter.
Most of my travel is international. With WS that means connecting via london Gatwick or CDG, and quite likely a trip to YYC to connect. It also means booking a seperate ticket inside Europe to get to my destinations in Germany or Scandinavia or Israel - west jet biz simply can't book those connections.

By the time I factor in getting to a major hub (price and time wise), traveling via CDG id using WS (ick), and a seperate ticket for the last portion, I'd say that at the very least, there's no reasonable Canadian alternative airline

So I don't know about being the only NA airline, but a Canadian one, I'd say AC wins purely by lack of competition
Aselwyn likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Methodology

JD Power is exclusively based on customer feedback. Skytrax relies on a very prescriptive assessment from both customers and their own panels. Same as the difference between Michelin guides and Tripadvisor.
tcook052, agjil, leoo and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I won't comment on the relative quality of AC versus the other airlines here since that would just be another opinion.

But, given that this is a 1,000 point scale, there's less than 6-8% spread between top and bottom here. And that's a fact. So any ranking here between adjacent airlines is just lost in the noise.

But hey, it's makes for a good soundbite and that's what it's all about.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Dec 5, 2019 at 10:52 am Reason: Otherworld
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:59 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I won't comment on the relative quality of AC versus the other airlines here since that would just be an opinion.

But, given that this is a 1,000 point scale, there's less than 6-8% spread between top and bottom here. And that's a fact. So any ranking here between adjacent airlines is just lost in the noise.

It's fine to have opinions.

Your analysis of the spread is interesting - and sure, it does make for an interesting sound bite. It certainly would be nice to get more insights into JD powers raw data.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

I won't comment on the relative quality of AC versus the other airlines here since that would just be an opinion.

So yes, I get your point. However, just looking at the results at a high level seems to support their method.

Europe:
Turkish, British, and Virgin Atlantic and generally accepted as having good customer service and they come in on the top of the list. Norwegian, KLM, often are seen as having poor customer service and come in at the bottom of the list.

Asia: Japan, Korean, and ANA are often accepted as having good customer service, and they come in on the top of the list. United, China Eastern, and American are generally accepted as having poor customer service and they come in at the bottom of the list.

So just looking at things from a high-level sand point (excluding AC to have a more general look) the results are pretty in line with what is generally accepted in the travel industry.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:12 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I more or less agree Sean, but Delta? Really?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I more or less agree Sean, but Delta? Really?
ya, I didn't mention that outlier
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Air Canada has been ranked one of the worst major airlines for passenger satisfaction in the world.
If only they cared ...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The problem with anything based entirely on customer feedback is that the number of people who have flown multiple airlines sufficiently to make a sensible comparison is almost zero.

"I once had a bad experience on X and I once had a good experience on Y, therefore Y is better than X."

I've said this before, but even on FT, there are very few people whose opinions are worth anything when it comes to these comparisons. And FT is generally the best place to find these people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.