Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cant fly, no refund - tips to get tier points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club

All flyers,
I have a BA flight on Wednesday. I want the tier points. But now cannot travel. No point to cancel as no refund.
Any suggestions / tips on how I might still get the tierpoints?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
No chance.

You can get the tax back if you don’t fly.
Nephoi and orbitmic like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
If you cancel you should get the tax back

ive been in same situation and even with a corporate account manager I couldn’t get the tier points
Nephoi likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:58 am

You won't be getting the TPs without actually flying.

You may be lucky if the actual flight you have booked gets cancelled (operational, maintenance, weather etc) then you could claim Original Routing Credit (ORC) but holding out for that is unlikely at best.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nikinp
All flyers,
I have a BA flight on Wednesday. I want the tier points. But now cannot travel. No point to cancel as no refund.
Only way to get TPs is to fly I’m afraid.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
You will get back some of the associated taxes and fees if you cancel. There is no way to get tier points or avios without travelling I'm afraid.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:01 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
To earn the TPs you have to fly. There are no loopholes.

There is probably a much less than 1% chance BA's IT will suffer a snafu and credit the flight. Logically this becomes even less likely if you even fail to pass through security conformance (assuming T5) because then you'd be removed from the flight.

Take the refund of the taxes and accept the loss of TPs.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
All flyers,
Why can't you fly? Under some conditions, you can get credit during IROPs by requesting ORC = original routing credit, but you usually must have been rebooked by the airline and must have taken the new flights (even if they're operated by carriers in a different alliance). Trip in vain and a refund usually means no ORC.

If you simply decided to cancel the trip, no refund (except maybe taxes, often after paying some service fee) and no FF credit for you.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
All flyers,
Remember that “no refund” doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t change the date of the flight. Perhaps try that, then fly it.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Several people suggesting that you get "taxes" refunded. You do... less an administrative fee. I have a BCN-LHR that I probably don't need and MMB is offering me about 2.50 euros as a refund...
James91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.